Brightest single AA led keyring light?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know what is the brightest single AA or AAA White LED light for a keyring? I have a CMG Infinity Ultra-G which I like, but it is not bright enough for me. I would like it to be Surefire-type quality, WHITE led, no blue or other tinting, just (snow?)white, and with a reflector (if possible) or no reflector, but NO optics. I hate optics because they give lots of spot with no spill light, and I love the spot/spill light combination. It can have more than one LED, whatever it takes to be BRIGHT!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Do I need to say it, FENIX L1P!!!

The Xnova 1aa 8 led lights are pretty good too, but no where near that of the fenix.

paulr

Flashaholic
Any AA light is on the big side for a keyring but if you don't mind the Ultra-G, you should certainly check out the Fenix L1P mentioned above (about 25 lumens). It is a bit bigger than the Ultra-G. Various people have also modded the Ultra-G to be much brighter than the stock version. Finally, if you're flexible about battery types, you can consider 1x123 lights like the HDS EDC series. Those go up to 85 lumens but cost a lot. Suitably hopped-up Fireflies can probably also reach the 60+ lumen range.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm considering an Arc as a keychain light. I really don't like any bigger than AAA form factor for keychain lights. Maglite Solitaire is as big as I care to go. I have that on my keychain next to a Photon III red microlight. But the Solitaire is pretty much worthless as is, so needless to say I'm looking for something about that size or a hair smaller with a decently bright LED. The Arc is what I've found, and not much else. I do have a River Rock keychain light on the way, I'll have to see how it performs.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not get in on the group buy for the chinese aaa keychain light. they should each be $2.50 plus shipping when / if they ever get in. From what i hear they are bright.. nearly a L1 and whiter than the arc.

paulr

Flashaholic
Try the Peak Matterhorn with 3 leds in the Ultra power version. It's the teensiest bit larger than an Arc AAA and maybe 2x as bright, but of course the battery runtime is lower.

The Chinese AAA light is not going to be anywhere near as powerful as a Fenix. That would be ridiculous. It looks like a terrific bargain, but doesn't try to be anything other than an economical 5mm light whose brightness is similar to other 5mm lights.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
The Chinese LED sounds good if it's $2.50. I don't have alot of spare cash right now and the Arc-P is around $50 shipped.

Tell me more about the Peak Matterhorn. I've never heard of it. Runtime is not that important to me as it will be a backup to a backup to a backup next to another backup. Brightness is most important in that size to me.

I have extra lights in the car, like a Dorcy spotlight and a Mag 2C with a xenon bulb, but ON MY PERSON I typically carry a G2 on me at night. I use a Dorcy 123A as a backup to the G2 and in reality I use it more than the G2. I have a Photon on my keychain so the AAA light will be a replacement for the ultralame Solitaire I have next to the Photon on my keychain.

Last edited:

PhantomZ

Enlightened
there was someone selling ARCs using rechargeable AA or AAA? that was modded with a 1 watt. i think runtime was about an hour? (pls correct me if i'm wrong with any info)
other ppl are also doing similar types of mods with their ARC and Mag solitaire if you dont mind a modded light~

paulr

Flashaholic
The Arc AAA runs fine on a NiMH rechargeable AAA. Runtime should be in the 3 hour range.

The Peak Matterhorns have very similar metal parts to the Arc AAA (I'll skip the messy history but there was once a relationship betweenthe two companies). Peak offers a configuration with three leds, so quite a bit more power than the single led Arc AAA, with just a tiny size increase (the head is slightly larger). See: http://peakledsolutions.com and click the Matterhorn series. You want the ultra power version in HA aluminum. The brass and stainless versions look great but weigh a ton.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made the most powerful single cell driver that I know of. My latest design drives a Lux III at 490mA for a total power draw of 1.7+ watts from a single NIMH or Lithium primary. The current draw from the battery is around 1.8 Amps. If there is anything out there that can beat this, I haven't seen it. This is easily double the power of the Fenix L1P! The circuit is 89% effecient.

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods said:
I have made the most powerful single cell driver that I know of. My latest design drives a Lux III at 490mA for a total power draw of 1.7+ watts from a single NIMH or Lithium primary. The current draw from the battery is around 1.8 Amps. If there is anything out there that can beat this, I haven't seen it. This is easily double the power of the Fenix L1P! The circuit is 89% effecient.

Interesting! do you have a pic or beam shot's or size comparison yet? VDG

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Try the Peak Matterhorn with 3 leds in the Ultra power version. It's the teensiest bit larger than an Arc AAA and maybe 2x as bright, but of course the battery runtime is lower.
how does it compare to the FENIX 1 LP?? :thinking:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods said:
:wow: :sold: :rock: need I say more???

paulr

Flashaholic
Tsask, the 3-led Matterhorn is very bright for a keychain light but it's nowhere near an L1P. The L1P is about 2x as big as the Matterhorn, uses twice as big a battery (AA instead of AAA), and has about half of the Matterhorn's runtime. The Matterhorn is plenty bright for most indoor uses, or to light your way along a path outside at night. The L1P begins to be bright enough to see medium-distance objects outside at night.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Tsask, the 3-led Matterhorn is very bright for a keychain light but it's nowhere near an L1P. The L1P is about 2x as big as the Matterhorn, uses twice as big a battery (AA instead of AAA), and has about half of the Matterhorn's runtime. The Matterhorn is plenty bright for most indoor uses, or to light your way along a path outside at night. The L1P begins to be bright enough to see medium-distance objects outside at night.
Paulr
thanks. I love my 1 LP. looks like no need to get the 3 led matterhorn. I am looking forward to comparing the new hi powered Peak AAA 2.8" 'Arc AAA P inspired" LED light. to my beloved ARC AAA P :)