who is black baer 84?

VWTim

Enlightened
He's a regular on here. IIRC his CPF name is Juancho or something similar. There was a thread on his Mag951 a week or so ago. A search under that topic should pull something up.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll explain a bit. Basically juancho/black bear 84's lights are versions of what we (flashaholics) broadly call mag85s. Mag because we use the maglite body, '85 from the bulb we use (the welsch-allyn 1185 bulb). He also sells some other magXX mods (where XX stands for other some welsch allyn bulb numbers). In the same way that you can make a cheese and ham sandwich in many ways, the mag85 can be made with different components (batteries, battery holders, bulb holders, etc).

Basically, he is one of the better sources for the mag85s (Juancho claims to use top quality components in his lights). I don't know of too many (if any?) others who are selling mag85s on a DIYFSE kind of basis. You can make your own mag85 - it's not particularly difficult and can be great fun, but if you're looking for a "turnkey" solution, he is a good option.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
More info on the Mag951 here, in a thread in the Review forum posted by Cones:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100862

Purchasing a turnkey Mag85 from Juancho or Fivemega might be a bit pricey, but it minimizes the time and hassle spent collecting parts from several different vendors. To some people that's part of the fun... sort of like a scavenger hunt, with a nice, bright shiny prize when you're finished.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
Grox said:
You can make your own mag85 - it's not particularly difficult and can be great fun, but if you're looking for a "turnkey" solution, he is a good option.

+1

I just received one of his lights about a week ago. Awesome.

Just made my first one yesterday, although it's not nearly as slick (nice) as Juan's.

If you're wanting to save yourself headaches and have what could arguably be called the best "turnkey" solution, he's where it's at.

John