Spyware on Internet Answering Machines?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use dialup for access to the internet. For the past year and a half I've used Verizon's "Internet Call Manager," which tells me when someone is trying to call me while I'm connected to the web. Verizon is discontinuing ICM, and I now am looking elsewhere. I'm thinking of subscribing to CallWave:

http://www.crays.com/ans/

Do you know of any not-so-obvious problems with this service or with other similar providers? For example, I'm concerned about the possibility that their program might contain spyware.

I don't need information on DSL or on cable or satellite access. Those are not an option for me.

E D I T . . . The question of spyware on these software applications is what I'm concerned with.

Paul

Last edited:

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Re: Advice Needed on Internet Answering Machines

There's some little gadget you can buy for twenty bucks or so that will signal an incoming call and give you a chance to answer it and keep your connection alive when you do. Some friend of mine got one at Rat Shack or some such place. It seems to work.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

For me, I just used the phone company's call forwarding service to my cell phone. That is all they are doing (call foward on busy). That should only be $2-3 or so per month. This was also handy when traveling away from home. I also got caller ID "free" because me cell phone already had that feature in its basic service costs.

If you must receive calls, would having a 2nd line with minimum service (no long distance, 30 outgoing calls a month, unlimited incoming calls) make sense? It is somewhere around $10-$20 per month here (more if you want caller ID). Some of the Call Wave plans approach this price.

-Bill

Lightmeup

Enlightened

I just looked at your Cray's link. It seems to be a software app that runs on your computer instead of a hardware gadget. That could be more seamless but you have to keep paying them. Slight advantages either way.

Lightmeup

Enlightened

BB's solution seems like a good idea as long as you've got a cell phone with a local exchange so that the calls that get forwarded don't run up your landline's phone bill. And you don't get so many that it runs up your cell phone bill, cause they usually charge for incoming calls.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

However, I think I asked my question poorly and have restated it above.

What I'm interested in finding out is what spyware problems I may have using an application like this. Does you think that CallWave (or its competitors) have embedded spyware?

Paul

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
By definition, they have all of your incoming phone numbers. And if they are using an 800 number to forward too, that would include people that have blocked their caller ID.

What do they do with that.... hmmm...

Looking at Callwave's privacy statement:

It appears that they are, at least partially, supported by advertising, and there are co-branded schemes that allow them to share more information with these folks. They, therefore are monitoring and sharing information--spyware or just a business practice that their users have signed up for.

Read the privacy statement yourself. I don't see anything in there that really restricts their internal sharing of information at all.

Lately, I have been getting a bunch of credit card applications (including from companies that I already have CC's with). They all seem to be coming through massive mailings from the big three credit companies selling my name to these guys.

The bottom of the offers all point to the OptOutPrescreen web site.

On this site, they claim that you can opt out from some or all (forever) of these mailings. However, they want your SSN, your current address and phone number before they will do this. You can call the 800 number and all you will get is computer asking all of these questions. No live person to talk to.

Among my issues are that I am trying to keep my personal information private. To the point of using a PO Box now and not doing a PO forwarding notifications of my new address/PO Box. Why--because it is not anyone else's business.

But to opt-out of these prescreened credit card offers (which are sent to an address where I no longer live), I have to reconfirm all of my most personal information with companies that I have no business with, and whom I do not wish to give this information too.

In the end, CC / Credit History / phone companies all have various laws that attempt (at times) to balance my rights against their profit motives. Call Wave is probably not regulated in any standard sense of the word and can probably sell this information to whomever they wish.

-Bill

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I would concur with BB's post. I kicked around a couple of the security forums and didn't turn up anything evil about CallWave. Probably the worst that might happen is you'll get a few spam emails about their business partner services, if they have any.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks guys for your thoughtful answers.

I will download a free trial of CallWave in the morning. My current "Interconnection Manager" will die tomorrow. Since there's only one person that I really need to know is calling, I'll get my cell phone out of the car and keep it turned on until I know that CallWave us up and running.

If I encounter any problems, I'll post.

Paul

skillet

Enlightened
Been using callwave here in the Bluegrass for a few years with no problems. The only problem I have with spyware is that the wife and kinds think that "click here" means to "click here".. I do routine spyware checks and seldom have any. More often than not, I have none. Since Callwave is operational the entire time, I say it is safe to say that they have no embedded spyware or popups.. The cost however, is about 17.95 every 3 or 4 months, maybe every 6. I just don't remember. You will have to have "call forward" on busy activated on your home phone for the service to be effective. My mother uses peoplepc for her ISP and I seem to remember she gets Callwave at a discount or maybe even thrown in. However, I believe the version she has just shows the callers number and does not have the option to leave a message.

Gordon aka:skillet

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gordon,

Yes, your mom's version is the one I'm going to try since I don't care whether a message can be left. They call it "CallWave Alert." Their ad says:
This basic CallWave service plan, Alert, allows you to see the Caller ID of the person calling while you are online. There is an administrative fee of $17.95 per year for this service. There are no additional monthly charges from CallWave. Your phone company will add the cost of "busy call forwarding" (approx. $1.50 per month) to your phone bill if you don't already have it.
I like the price. But I may also consider the next option up, "CallWave Messenger."
Messenger is CallWave's most popular service. It allows you to instantly hear your caller's message (one minute maximum) plus see the caller's ID (telephone number and name). You can record a greeting in your own voice. The Messenger service includes a Fax number with unlimited usage. For most people the cost of this service is $3.95 per month ($3.95 if paid by credit card or $5.95 if billed to your telephone company). It does require that you have "busy call forwarding" on your telephone line.​
They give a one-month free trial during which I can play with the various options, so I can try 'em all.

Thanks for the helpful comments on your experiences.

Paul