Custom Retro Mod (or a flashlight with an inside view)

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started this build from scratch yesterday, I found a piece of acrylic tube and the modder inside did the rest :)

The unit is powered by a MC33063 in illpill configuration with a huge inductor, the emitter is a TWOJ star dremeled to 20mm diameter. Then the whole circuit is sandwiched (a huge one)

The top aluminium part is held by presure, and the bottom is threaded, so you guessed right, is a twisty, the unit works with CR123 batts.

The reflector is a cut down IMS20 and the lens is from a m@gAA, because I don't have a proper size UCL.

Looks was my main concern, heat path is awful, efficiency is not up to current standards, but it works and is nice :)

Here are a few pics:

retro1

retro2

retro3

I will add some glowpowder to the inside of the tube or to the sammie, not sure yet.

Hope you all like it.

Pablo

Last edited:

scrappy

Enlightened
Re: Custom Retro Mod

Thats awesome... here is the non-modder in me, if I found that piece of acrylic tube... I would have thrown it in the trash... I wish I had some ability to do some of what you guys do.

Rich.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

I finally decided to put glow powder around the sammie. Spreaded a lot of powder randomly and then added some loctite (cyanoacrylate) on it to fix it. It served 2 purposes, to fix the powder and to fix the sandwich to the tube.

retro4

retro5

retro6

In a dark room the sammie looks like a stone of phosphorescent uranium, very nice.

Pablo

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Pablo,

I had been thinking about such light with a transparent part in the middle for a while. And very glad that someone is making it a reality. :thumbsup:

May I also suggest that it might be an interesting idea to put in some tritium somewhere inside? :naughty:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like it. :wave:

Even though I read reflector I thought I was seeing optic.

Why is light escaping the reflector?

Though somewhat whimsical, it's a valuable demonstration and dare I say a marketable concept.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Fresh and exciting! A fun variation on a theme in mini lights. I love it! I concur a more liberal application of glow powder and/or T3 vials would make for an even higher fun factor. My jaw dropped when I saw the Orb's website featuring their standard Torch with an H3 (tritium) vial embedded inside the reflector area, giving the area a permanent glow. All relates to a childhood obsession with GITD/phosphorescent elements. As such I had to get one of B@rt's beta torches (betalight). I'd like to see a continuation!

Cheers! ;)