Where To Buy DownBoy & Luxeon LEDs?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfiniteReality said:
dang they have LOTS of choices in LEDs! Any recommendations?

what kind of light do you want? big, small, flood, spot, etc....

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfiniteReality said:
I would like a spot light. Thanks!!

go with a LuxIII and Maglite C or D cell. the large reflector can focus the LuxIII tight....

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
nemul said:
go with a LuxIII and Maglite C or D cell. the large reflector can focus the LuxIII tight....

I'm not planning on using a reflector, planning on using a set of 2 or 4 (depending on $$$) of them per fog light on my car. Do any Luxeons spot more than others?

Thanks!
- Del

CLHC

Flashaholic
Now that is an interesting concept for what you'll be using it for—and to think it's all from The Sandwich Shoppe. . .Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Now that is an interesting concept for what you'll be using it for—and to think it's all from The Sandwich Shoppe. . .Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Yep, something different. Not expecting any performance gains by using Luxeon's for Fogs, just pure visual. I just ordered HIDs for the car and the LEDs will match them VERY nicely! Way better than investing twice in HIDs for the fogs. =)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Sure would like to know how your modded LED fog lights work on your hot-rod when you've gone an done did it Del!

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Sure would like to know how your modded LED fog lights work on your hot-rod when you've gone an done did it Del!

Not sure if I'll mod existing housings for them or will just use a board. The lenses are broke on the existing ones, so I don't really want to use it. BUT if I did I'd have use of a reflector.

I will definitely post afterwards! :)

Can you recommend a Luxeon LED for this use?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Sorry for I'm still new myself and would'nt even know where to begin on that one. Someone will chime in with a recommendation soon enough.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps 1 luxV per fog light. With the largest optic or reflector that will fit. I think that perhaps www.elektrolumens.com 30mm optics would be cool. The luxV would put out a lot of light from one led. Just make sure you have good heatsinking.

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
What do those run? I can wire up typicall 5mm LEDs like a pro, but not familiar with these. Are they the same to wire up? I plan on using a downboy to control the power to them. I'm also looking to spend about $30 per fog, but not sure how much a 5w would run.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
you will need something in the U-bin range and will need to wire 2 of them in series, if you do it that way you will not need a DownBoy or any converter. Don't forget that a cars charging system is based on 14 volts and not 12.
Two U-bins in series will take upto 14.76 volts nicely.

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
Morelite said:
you will need something in the U-bin range and will need to wire 2 of them in series, if you do it that way you will not need a DownBoy or any converter. Don't forget that a cars charging system is based on 14 volts and not 12.
Two U-bins in series will take upto 14.76 volts nicely.

I still want to use a downboy though to regulate the voltage. LEDs I have on the car now (like my front illuminated plate) pulse just a little while the car's running due to the voltage moving around a little. It sucks, but it'll kill two birds with one stone. :)