What would happen if you swapped SF L1 and L2 heads?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading this thread and I got to thinking (uh-oh).

So putting an L1 head on an L2 body might have consequences, even if the effect is nice.

What if you put an L2 head on an L1 body? I doubt it'd have results similar to putting a KL4 head on an E1 body (ie: L4 power in a 1 cell body), but would it have improved performance comared to the regular L1?

Alternatively, could the optics from the L1 head be fitted to the L2 head? If this were possible, it seems like you would have one hell of a thrower with a focused 100 lumens.

Thanks for indulging me.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put an L2 head onto an L1 body and on low it doesn't give the LuxV enough power to light up. On high the LuxV doesn't get any brighter than the L1 head (I believe modified with a LuxIII and reflector.)

The L1 and L2 heads are 'dumb' meaning the circuits are in the body (added length) and not the head.

I doubt the optic in the L1 can fix the L2's head (5 watt LED.) I am not saying it can't be done, but I highly doubt it though.

The L2 on high is pushing ~1.5 amps so if a L1 head was put on the L2 body, the LED will burn out a lot faster. I put two RCR123's at ~4.16 volts each into a Pelican M6 1 watt LED (direct drive.) Initial brightness was high, 2 - 2 1/2 times the brightness of a stock Pelican M6 (had one to compare it to.) Then came the burning of the LED (I believe it was the burning of the LED.) The smell was like burning plastic or styrafoam. With the RCR123's, the Pelican M6 was drawing ~1.0 amp. With reguar CR123 primaries it draws .5 amp.

Want a lot of power in a small package? Get a SF M6 and keep the L1/L2 for general use.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jason. I just sold my old L2 (65 Lumen), and was planning on getting a new one (100 Lumens) in a couple paychecks. I was thinking of getting a L1 as well, especially if parts were interchangable. Instead, I (yesterday) ordered a HDS EDC 42XR, which looks like it'll blow away the L1 in just about every catagory. I still want a new L2 though.

Out of curiosity, are there optics or reflectors available for the L2 to alter the beam (I'm thinking more throw)? To be honest, I was never disappointed in the throw of my Gen1 L2 (quite impressed actually, since it was my first "real" light), and very impressed with the flood, but one can never have too many options (or just things to play around with).

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't look at the L2 for being a throw light. The three L2's I played around with all are similar in brightness ~100 lumens (maybe even a bit more, just an approx. though; don't have the cash for one of those integrating spheres.)

The only thing that seems interchangable on the L1 and L2 are the CR123's and the tailcap's (use caution though, not sure why you would change tailcaps unless to test.)

I think people buy the L2/L4 for what it is, a wall of light without the throw. This lights up an entire room but lacks throw. Good for some, not for others. Fantastic for aroun the house navigation/utility light on low mode with high mode on hand.

An HDS Ultimate 60 is on my wish list. Glad you got one. Smaller, brighter, multiple levels, clicky. To me its a better option for a small light on the waist in a Ripoffs holster (CO-37 I think.)

JAson