Blub inside Luxeon high dome?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
This afternoon I was testing the S-bin LuxeonI I recently bought on CPF from LED Supply. When I finaly swapped it with the R-bin inside my Fenix L1P, I discovered something weird. There seems to be a blub INSIDE (I first thought it was some dirty thing on the outside, but it really is inside) the high dome lens of the LED. Anyone seen this before? By the way, I call it a blub because I don't know an English nor a Dutch word for this :p

The beam artifacts are barely noticable, but I preferred a clear lens LED nevertheless.

Here are some pictures:
- Picture of the blub.
- Blub side compared to the non-blub side of the lens.
- The blub is clearly visible in the reflector of the Fenix L1P.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, maybe "bubble"?

I have several Luxeons that have some air bubbles inside. Barely noticeable, as far as I can say (but these are used in more flood applications)

dehnehsu

Newly Enlightened
I once saw a dark flaw in a .5 watt AAA River Rock at Target. It was a little dark spec molded in the LED dome. I could tell it was within the LED. I'm sure someone who just grabbed it off the shelf didn't even know it's there. Looks like Nichia's aren't always clear either!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
lumeN: ah. Good catch. I tried making it all lowercase but didn't work and gave up on trying to "fix" the link. :)

Erasmus: not sure if it's an air bubble or not. Some photos it looks like it some it doesn't. Hmm.

Sengoku

Enlightened
You sure you didnt put your soldering iron too near the dome? even the heat from about 5mm away is enough to cause that(happened to me before:()