"Cure" for L2/L4 donut hole

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a SF L2, and while I was familiar with and expected the donut hole beam (I used to have an L4), I still find it a little distracting. SF lights generally have the type of beam that are considered to be the standard by which all others are judged, and in the past I would have NEVER considered putting WriteRight on a SF...but on the L2's donut hole, it WORKS! I put a piece of WriteRight on the lens of my new L2 (it MUST be the textured type, designed for monochrome PDA screens), and the donut hole vanished! Now I have a donut hole-free L2! FYI...

PJD

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I have to say again, that I really like the new optics that Surefire has come out with. Those coupled with the F04 beamshaper make them some of the most versatile lights that I own!

I want a little throw - off with the beamshaper...a little flood - on with the beamshaper!!

VERY WORTHY!!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
I have to say again, that I really like the new optics that Surefire has come out with. Those coupled with the F04 beamshaper make them some of the most versatile lights that I own!

I want a little throw - off with the beamshaper...a little flood - on with the beamshaper!!

VERY WORTHY!!

I agree, Sigman! The only thing is that with the L2/L4, there's been no remedy that comes to mind for it's lack of throw! With the KL1 module, you've got throw...put on the F04 and you've got flood. With the L2/L4 you've got flood with a donut hole, or flood without a donut hole! I prefer "without"! I really like the wall of light that the L2/L4 put out, so it's lack of throw never really bothered me, but the donut hole DID...hence, the "cure". While I think SF's TIR optics ARE good for throw, I've always preferred a little spill WITH my throw, so the new KL1/E1L/E2L/L1 never really appealed to me...but they ARE good lights!

PJD