Fenix L1P with S-bin LuxI : WOW!

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have upgraded my Fenix L1P (R-bin LuxI) to an S-bin LuxI (got it a few weeks ago from LEDsupply on this forum) today, and I'm very satisfied by the final result :) I have 2 Fenix L1P's from the same batch (so everything is the same) and I've swapped the LED of 1 of them to the S-bin. Afterwards I compared the lux readings (both with fresh batteries from the same package). Lux readings of the S-bin were about 42% higher at the same distance! Global light output also increased significantly, as you can see on the pictures (on every picture the stock L1P is left and the S-bin L1P on the right) :
- Notice the brighter hotspot and the brighter sidespill on the modified L1P.
- Decreased shutter time which makes the better throw on the S-bin visible.
- Shutter time decreased again :)
- Picture on a wall at about 2-3 meters.

I was surprised by the huge improvement the S-bin was against the R-bin. Typical output for the R-bin is rated at 45,75 lumen versus 59,45 lumen for the S-bin (calculation based on the average from each range as seen on http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/bin_codes/ ). This is a typical brightness increase of 30%, while I measured an increase of 42%. This makes me think the R-bin must have been less than typical lumens, and the S-bin more than typical lumens. Great :)

My Fenix L1P S-bin is my new EDC :p

Thank you for watching!

Erasmus.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL... I am just asking what the bin code is for the Rbin so I can understand the difference between the R and S bins in your mod :)

What is the bin code for the R, if you know?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
CromagNet said:
LOL... I am just asking what the bin code is for the Rbin so I can understand the difference between the R and S bins in your mod :)

What is the bin code for the R, if you know?
I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to have the LED ;) I don't know the exact bin since the stock L1P is equiped with Luxeon Emitters and the bin code is not printed on them (only on Luxeon Stars). I only know it's flux bin is R since that's specified by Fenix.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh!
doh.gif
Forgot they are emitters. I wanted to compare the vf.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not satisfied with this comparison. Please send your L1P to me and then I'll be satisfied. lol :D

Even with a K Vf the S-bin is whoppin up on the R bin. I wonder if the R bin was not a H vf ? hmm. Nice!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it hard to swap the emitters?
With the K2 coming in the next few months, I would jump on the L1P mod bandwagon if I can get some UWAH (at 350mA) K2s to play around with.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
Is it hard to swap the emitters?
With the K2 coming in the next few months, I would jump on the L1P mod bandwagon if I can get some UWAH (at 350mA) K2s to play around with.
It's not hard at all, you can see pictures of the head module here. The hardest thing was to remove the thermal compound on the place where the LED has contact with the heatsink. It must have been thermal adhesive compound since it was very tough. I just cleaned it with a tissue with a little bit of gasoline. When you put the new emitter on the unit, it's important to put a little bit of fresh thermal compound between the emitter and the heatsink. I used Arctic Silver 5 (which is also used for computer heatsinks), it's one of the best thermal compounds available :)

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
I am not satisfied with this comparison. Please send your L1P to me and then I'll be satisfied. lol :D

Even with a K Vf the S-bin is whoppin up on the R bin. I wonder if the R bin was not a H vf ? hmm. Nice!
lol :) I really don't know the Vf bin of the R-bin...

Yesterday evening I used the modified L1P in the dark. It's amazingly brighter than before :) And it's throw is much much much better now!

Latest posts