Inova X5

Chris201W

Enlightened
I was looking at the Inova X5. I've seen it on a number of different sites, but there seems to be two different body types. I've seen the one that's a round body with round recesses running the length of the body, like the one reviewed at flashlightreviews.com. I've also seen one with 6 or so flat panels instead of the round body. I know that Inova came out with a new X5 at one point or another. So, which is which? Is one better than the other?

Thanks for your help.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge Mag-lite had a big panties in a bunch patent on the cylinder body (isn't this like putting a patent on the circle?) so over a law suit Inova re-designed their flashlight. I may be wrong, but thats what I assume happened.

The flashlightreviews.com one is the older version with the recesses on the body. The flat sides design is the new one. Is there a differenc ein output? Maybe very slight, with the new LED's coming out and all (26K, 35K, CS, MJ, and all the other 5mm LED's.)

If you need a durable, fairly inexpensive, ~10-15 lumen light that will suck batteries dry, the X5 is nice. I put some RCR123's in there (~4.2v each, so max voltage going in is 8.4, NOT recommended.) I just wanted to see if it would work, and it did at a brighter level but at the cost of damage/premature death to the LED's.

There are other options out there though, just depends on what you need it for. My fear with Inova is cross threading the tailcaps on them, and the lack there of in output (not a slouch either, kicks more cheap incandescents.)

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
On a side note, I remember seeing an airsoft store online that sold a replacement or slip-over "crown" for the X5 that enabled it to be used as a striking tool, ala Surefire... anyone see this before or buy one?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like that style of switch but I like the light anyway. "It's an emotional thing," Sub_Umbra said sheepishly. It was always a beautifully made light for the price. Rock solid. The X5 is a true pet for the hands. I found the Sterile version in HA III Nat to be totally irresistable. I love the way the X5s are made. I almost never use it (because of the switch) -- but I'd never even think of getting rid of it. Go figure.

Last edited:

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
I started a thread about this a few days back - suspicion on my part that they just began an unannounced upgrade of the LED's in the X5. I am getting pretty convinced by now that mine has the Nichia CS - it has a distinct blueish cast (which doesn't bother me at all) similar to what I've seen in those LED's, and way more throw than it is supposed to. Not to repeat myself, but something like half the ones I saw in Target (recently restocked) seemed much brighter than the other half when you tested with the little hole accessing the momentary tail switch. My approx. comparative lux readings suggest 3-4 times the output of the one Quickbeam tested a previously. If you do get one, I suggest trying them out somewhere or getting assured newest stock! Did real-life beam shots at a tree 60 feet away the other night (but couldn't figure out how to post that). Illuminated tree way better that it should in comparison to other, regulated lights - and that was with batteries having 2+ hours use. Something surely going on here.