Inova T4 Help

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the informative posts, I've spent the last few days trying to take it all in! Anyway, as a complete newbie, I have the following queries. Any advice much appreciated!

I've been looking at a T4 with a view to buying. The purposes of this light are for my GF to walk the dog in dark woodland at night, for about 1.5 hours duration. This is the reason I want a rechargeable. I want something easy for her to carry, bright enough to light up dark scary shadows, with a reasonable runtime, and enough output to dazzle any "undisireables" before running quickly the other way! My question is;

Does this light have enough spillbeam to facilitate walking over uneven terrain in dark conditions? Is it bright enough to dazzle? Is it robust enough to stand a little abuse? What are the terms of Inova's warranty?

I have done a little research, checked out flashlight reviews, but flashlight info on this model is a little hard to find in the UK, along with retailers, so a bit of "real life" opinion wouldn't go amiss. I am starting work as a police officer soon, and would like the light to double as a "duty carry" as the torches they give us are rubbish!

Any opinions/advice/alternatives greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

(Maybe I just give her my Sabrelite and get a bank loan!!)

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I have the XO3, which is esentially a T3... the durability is great, and it will have enough light to momentarily blind someone, but the hot-spot is very tight-- if you want to blind someone, you have to hit them dead-on. At least the light makes for a good striking tool. I don't ind runtime to be too much of an issue, so long as you know a decently-priced source for 123's. If she doesn't mind carrying something along the size of a Mag-L!te, the 3-watt LEDbeam http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm or newer Dorcy 1-watt (Older review, new version somewhere on these forums) would be really nice for illumination, sidespill, and defense. I carry the LEDBeam to work, great for lighting stuff up at a distance, but to tell the truth, the Dorcy would give her better runtimes and sidespill with less throw. Just tell her to be nice and don't go around blinding badgers wit it ^_^...

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a T4, but was quite interested in them at one time and they look like very good lights. However, I could not locate many sources of replacement rechargeable batteries besides Inova. That is unsettling.

I have 2 other hobbies involving battery operated electronics gear. Experience there taught me to avoid buying equipment which requires uncommon battery packs. I like the freedom to use equipment even if the manufacturer goes bankrupt, discontinues the product, or raises the price of replacement battery packs abruptly.

Replacement battery packs for Maglites and Streamlights are more commonly available.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
sideswipe said:
Does this light have enough spillbeam to facilitate walking over uneven terrain in dark conditions?

I would say no. Its really a spot light, with very minimal spill. I took mine outside just now to refresh my memory. I think a more floody light would serve you better when walking over uneven terrain

Is it bright enough to dazzle? Is it robust enough to stand a little abuse?

Yes to both. It would be up into the "blinding" range if you shined it at someone's face. And its built like a tank. Would make a decent, last-ditch impact weapon.

What are the terms of Inova's warranty?

Warranty is "limited lifetime".

Click here for a nice review.

best regards

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than looking at a rechargable flashlight (which are rather innumerous--only the Inova T4 and the expensive SF L7 come to mind), look at Luxeon LED lights that use multiple AA (or even AAA) batteries, which are commonely available in rechargables. Like a Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon, or the new Inova Radiant (less expensive plastic lights available at Target--do they have Targets in UK?). There's several you can look at. Go to flashlightreviews.com and sort the list by battery type.

Then just get the appropriate number of NiMH rechargables (2 sets--one to use, one to charge/keep as spare).

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these for my wife a few months back. I thnik that they are a great light. Is there any other questions that you have about this that the other people posting didn't answer?

gostanova

Newly Enlightened
I'm a police officer and i've been carrying the t4 as my main duty belt light for about 6 months, and i have nothing but praise for it. it's more than adequate for about 90% of the things i need it for (clearing houses, traffic stops, etc)
the sidespill isn't the greatest, so. if i know i'm going to be bushwacking trough the desert trying to find someone, i'll usually grab my U2, or my AE Powerlight if i really want to see through the cacti. that being said, my t4 will continue to be the light i carry on my belt on a daily basis. hope this helps

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
Wow! You guys really know how to provide comprehensive answers! Thanks again. There's plenty of food for thought there, I'll just take a quick look down the streamlight propolymer/similar route as suggested before I make up my mind. I think the Dorcy is a little big for her, (although not as big as the 1mill CP spotlight she uses at the moment, poor battery life, great as a clubbing weapon, rechargeable). I might consider one to keep in the car though.

My only other question was about methods of carry. I can't seem to find any mention of a holster etc. And no lanyard. I would have thought that a light aimed at the "duty" market would have had something. Any suggestions?

Once again, many thanks to all for the informative replies.
P.s. Unfortunately, we don't have Target here!

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
The Inova T4 has been my walk the dog in the park light for the past several weeks, and it's worked out just great for me. Have there been times when I wished that it had a little more sidespill?...sure, but very rarely. Besides, more sidespill would mean less throw and I really appreciate the throw to spot those pesky wild critters that inhabit the park (especially the bloody skunks!) before the dog sees them. At all other times, the T4 just sits in the charger.

You asked about a holster. I got the Ripoffs CO-85 holster for mine. Its very well made and fits the T4 like a glove.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a leather "police duty" holster: http://www.stallionleather.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=211

Also from 2 decades of experience, don't use "half" holders also called "open holders" for small flashlights for "on duty" use. Why? Because you will loose the light when running, jumping over things, tackling people, etc. Same goes for handcuffs, mace, etc. Closed holders are best.

Good luck,
John

gostanova

Newly Enlightened
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3203.php
this is how i carry mine, it's a lot faster to access it and i've never had it fall out, even while jumping fences and such. it's a snug fit and due to its small form factor, has the added benefit of not digging into your back (as much) when you sit in your patrol car.

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
Well guys, it appears that me and the GF have reached a compromise. We will get a T4, use it for the rest of the winter, and then I'll get her something else to use when the nights draw in next winter, or I'll dig out my trusty old Sabrelight and find some rechargeables to fit, which will keep the cost down a little bit. I'm still a little surprised that there isn't a facility for some kind of lanyard, but I guess I just want perfection!!

Incidentally, it's much more difficult to source flashlights here (UK) and even harder to find somewhere to go and try them out - nearly all the research I have done is via the web. All I've got to do now is find a good replacement for the minimag - finding things like Fenix here is like trying to find hen's teeth! - and I'm finally on the ladder to flashaholism. Oh dear. Someone take away my wallet before it's too late! At least I can retire my Mag4D to the bedside table......

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wholesale and retail Inova flashlight and wanted to make a few points:

Great flashlight, tons of light, built like a tank.

Inova sold out of T4's about 60 days ago. I sold out about 30 days ago. Good luck finding one in-stock ANYWHERE. Inova says they'll be shipping in the first 2 weeks of '06 for what it's worth. Just a warning as many less scrupulous on-line sellers will not list an item as OOS.

Sheaths: Inova doesn't make one. I have NiteIze spec-manufacturing a run of sheaths to fit the T4 and T5 - eta is ~45 days and price will be under $10. malice/alice compatable and will fit on a duty belt.

I've been experimenting with the 2400mah LG 18650 cells I sell in the T4 and they work perfectly. They're not quite 'fat' enough but that's easily fixed with a rubber band. They outperform the stock Inova battery.

/Matt

www.batteryjunction.com

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt,

Do you have any more details on this battery? What is the price? Will the light run longer?

Jim

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Matt, I'll bear that in mind when it comes to ordering. The other question I have is regarding warranty. What does "limited lifetime warranty" actually mean in real terms? The only experience that I have of flashlight warranties is with Peli, and this is of the "you break it, we replace it" type of deal, but it is easier with them because they sell widely here in the UK through dealers. I have had excellent service from Peli. But I dont really fancy having to send it to the US just because I dropped it in a puddle or something! Is Inovas warranty similar, or am I looking at having to buy another 'cos I've done something clumsy?
Thanks for the sheath info - I would certainly be interested if you are happy to ship to the UK?

Ps Apologies to all for the stupid questions - be gentle with me, I'm still learning!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jas - run time is 5-10% longer - price varies with quantity but starts at under $9: http://www.batteryjunction.com/oneli18322ma.html

sideswipe - Inova's warranty is not "you break it, we replace it". It covers all flaws in defects in manufacturing and the LED. If you drop it 50 feet, run it over and use it as a crowbar that's considered abuse and is outside the scope of the warranty. I'm not sure how they handle the international warranty replacements but US buyers need only send the light and $5 to Inova to get a replacement. The warranty covers their mistakes - not yours if you know what I mean. That said mine rolled off of a 10' ladder onto a concrete floor and except for a few scratches was totally fine.

/Matt

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
MANGLED QUOTE=MattK
I've been experimenting with the 2400mah LG 18650 cells I sell in the T4 and they work perfectly. They're not quite 'fat' enough but that's easily fixed with a rubber band. They outperform the stock Inova battery. END MANGLED QUOTE

MattK
Please keep us up to date on using that LG battery and any issues you encounter.

Thanks!