Finally got DSL

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it took a little while and I also ran into some problems (refer to the "Oh no, My phone is dead" thread) but I'm finally on a high speed connection. No more dial-up for me. (Well, the analog modem is still hooked up as a redundant backup)

I'm using the Verizon 14.95/month for 768down/128up service. Even though it is not as fast as I had imagined, it is definately faster than my old 56K when it comes to page loading time and downloading Windows Updates and anti-virus/spyware updates. Stuff that used to take almost 20 mins now comes in less than 3 mins.

I got the self install kit with the modem and phone filters last night. Hooked everything up and got online with my desktop in less than an hour but it took me a while and searching around DSLreports.com to get the modem (Westell 6100) to work with my wireless router.

So far, so good.

dslsetup.jpg

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
No doubt about it, faster is better.

My Time-Warner service gives me about 350kbps up/4500kbps down. Or so the tools at http://www.dslreports.com tell me...

That will help with file sharing and on-line gaming, (of which I do little) however, your bandwith share from popular sites is going to be a fraction of that, often it's 100-300k anyway, so your DSL isn't always going to be a bottleneck, and higer speed options like cable, won't always perform better either.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Now that you have DSL, you're gonna need a firewall (assuming you stay connected 20/7). I've used Black Ice (recommended by my ISP) as my firewall for the past several years and not had a problem with hackers invading my system.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Go over to dslreports and run their tweak test tool. You might be able squeeze a little more performance out of your connection by changing some of your network variables like the rwin and mtu. Run their speed test first to check what kind of download speed you are actually experiencing. For 768 down, anything around 650 is about as good as it gets. Here's a link:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

LMU

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I'd assume his wireless router has a firewall in it. Just get the latest firmware from the mfg. and dslreports.com has an intrusion scan. Many routers also allow you to configure a custom port access list using a software firewall and it's automated "wizard" features, then upload the profile into the router. Then you can turn the software firewall off.

Either way, a hardware firewall if your router has one, (most do) will save your CPU a few cycles. The speed of your PC can effect page rendering in your browser just as much as bandwidth can.