Mag charger w WA1160 bulb vs SL20 w SL35 bulb

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of questions will a M*G Charger with a WA1160 bulb work with the standard plastic reflector or does it require a metal reflector. Is the moddified M*G charger as bright or brighter than a SL20 with the SL35 lamp? Any beamshot of these lights?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've only seen an SL35 with a less than stellar battery pack.

My boss has a M*gcharger with a stock pack and a well centered 1160. It ROCKS! Only way I could see to improve it would be an orange peel reflector, but out in quality dark outside use it is bada$$!!!!

Edit: Oh yeah, the M*gcharger has a plastic reflector with a metal liner. I don't believe it must be changed. But if a LOP or MOP reflector is offered, grab one!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Here's the link to FiveMega's MagCharger LOP Aluminum Reflector:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/85189

You can also try etching the bulb a little and just leave the stock reflector as is. I did so and now I've got a REALLY nice beam and have "dialed" it down to the perfect hotspot I wanted. Flawless! Or course, Your MagLite May Vary accordingly.

Enjoy!

DreamScape

Enlightened
I'd agree with CHC. Stock reflector is sweet to use with the 1160 bulb.
Always nice to upgrade, try FM's MC LOP Reflector.

Not sure about the SL, not got one.

Got to try myself some of this bulb etching!!!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The WA01160 is about an 18W lamp IIRC. The SL-35X LA is a 30W lamp. It will make more light, but it will be more diffuse and yellower.

For work in the range of 5-20 feet, the SL-35X LA cannot be beaten for useful beam quality. For "reach out and touch me" work, the 1160 is generally superior to either SL LA.

The MagCharger has a metal reflector in a plastic carrier. You do not need to upgrade this to use high-output bulbs.

Wilkey

Luna

Enlightened
I might need to shut up :) but I recall the 35 bulb being a 20watter. Might be wrong.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
I might need to shut up :) but I recall the 35 bulb being a 20watter. Might be wrong.

Luna,

You're right. 6V, 3.3A. Man, I've been out of this for a long time. I should have paid attention to my own use lights. I've been using an old SL-15X with SL-20X LA as well as an MC-60 on my nightstand and the MC-60 is much brighter. I seem to recall that the SL-35X really only got brighter than the 1160 when driven on 6 cells.

Maybe Jim will step in here and save my a$$. :D

Wilkey

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng said:
The WA01160 is about an 18W lamp IIRC. The SL-35X LA is a 30W lamp. It will make more light, but it will be more diffuse and yellower.

For work in the range of 5-20 feet, the SL-35X LA cannot be beaten for useful beam quality. For "reach out and touch me" work, the 1160 is generally superior to either SL LA.

The MagCharger has a metal reflector in a plastic carrier. You do not need to upgrade this to use high-output bulbs.

Wilkey

I was gonna say,, mine is metal, but it's 15 yr's old, and coulda changed :shrug: VDG

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng said:
You're right. 6V, 3.3A. Man, I've been out of this for a long time. I should have paid attention to my own use lights. I've been using an old SL-15X with SL-20X LA as well as an MC-60 on my nightstand and the MC-60 is much brighter. I seem to recall that the SL-35X really only got brighter than the 1160 when driven on 6 cells. Maybe Jim will step in here and save my a$$. :D Wilkey

Hi Wilkey!! Will I do for now? Great to see ya around again; I hope you hang awhile!

I have two lights, one running an 1160 and another the SL-35X (but on 6 cells instead of 5 for the 1160). The 1160 is brighter when the 35X is on 5 cells, but the 35X is a monster when on 6 cells, and is much brighter than the 1160. My 35X application is voltage regulated, so there isn't much chance to blow the bulb due to overvoltage control and a soft start. On 6 cells, the 35X LA color temp is also much better (whiter).

The 35X on 6 cells is like a high beam headlight on a stick! It will fill your field of vision with bright light; very little panning around needed.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dave,

That does help! I forgot that you were the other big SL/MC guy. Now that you jogged my memory, the SL-35X on 6 cells was very nice. But I was running it hot rodded direct drive and reliability was not very good on a fresh pack.

I appreciate the assist.

Wilkey