get a kl-5 for C3 or buy an L5

hburner

Enlightened
Should I get a KL-5 adaptor for my C3 or just buy a L5? The price is difference is not that much difference. If I bought an L5 would the head fit onto my C3?

UVvis

Enlightened
FYI:

The KL5 is a 5 watt LED unit. The L5 is a C2 (2 cell) body with a KL5, and different stamping on the side. The C3 is a three cell light. The KL5's work with two and three cell lights, at least the new ones do. The only benefit to using the KL5 on 3 cells is you get a little more runtime than on two cells.

The KL5 works on the C2 and C3's bodies both fine. Personally, I have a KL5 that spends most of its time on a C2.

My honest recomendation would be to get the C3 and then get a KL3 over the KL5. This combo will give you a long runtime LED in the KL3, and some bright lamps with the P90 and P91's. My KL5 is a solid nice unit, but it doesn't have the best runtime or output. Once it falls out of regulation, it does have a nice long runtime in moon mode though.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Yep, as UVvis says, the L5 head will fit/run on your C3... with the benefit of somewhat enhanced runtime. I haven't had a chance to test my L5's head on my old C3 yet, so I'll defer to others here.

As to getting the new (gen-2) KL3 head -- instead of an L5 or just the KL5 head -- that depends on what role you want it for.

I recently added my new L5 to our "night walks" light arsenal. As a result, my old "throw" lights are gathering dust. Oh, I still carry an Inova XO3, or Pelican M6 incan, or the new Pelican 3-watt LED -- strictly as a coat-pocket back-up.

I've just found that the L5's beautifully balanced beam (great flood, acceptable mid-range throw) is perfect for illuminating the woodsy shadows 25-40 yards out in our suburban neighborhood... without constantly swinging a narrow-beamed throw light all over the place to see what's out there. It all depends on your needs.

It's true that the L5 ain't a great runtime light -- it does chew through batteries about twice as fast as the new KL3 thrower with its flatter output.

No big deal. I figure that L5 will cost me about $15 more in batteries per year than something like the KL3 thrower. However, the L5's more versatile illumination benefits are easily worth that in terms of safety and visibility. YMMV.

Beyond that, the L5's flood probably makes a better Indoors light for lighting up a room in some home-intruder/self-defense shooting scenario. It's really kinda like an L4 on steroids in that respect.

Maybe your best solution would be to get BOTH the KL3 (throw) and the KL5 (flood) heads for your C3! Then, if you find the C3 unwieldy with either head combo, you could always buy an L5 or C2 body later and screw the LED head on it.

JanCPF

Enlightened
And don't forget you can run the L5 nicely in regulation for 50 min. on a Pila 168S or similar sized Li-Ion rechargeable.

Jan

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or much longer on....
thinking.gif

Two cell 18650 should be ready by the end of the week.

The KL3 is a very nice head for the $.

TB

Kiessling

Flashaholic
KL5 is a great "ram of light" medium flood type beam with a nice and strong corona ... very useful as a general lighting tool!

And a KL5 on a C3 gives about 110min runtime on 3x123 or 80min on 2xPILA150S for those Li-Ion guys out there ... and I think this isn't bad at all.
AND ... it is a sexy light :devil:

SFC3KL5SW02.jpg

bernie

hburner

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys. But if I am understanding this correctly the KL5 have more throw than the KL3, right? Buy the way that C3 with the KL5 does look mighty good. Almost enough to make me get it right there!!!!

hburner

Enlightened
Kiessling, Where did you get that thingy on the back of the C3 and what is it? Looks like you have a Z48 on there also. vbmenu_register("postmenu_1199310", true);

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The KL3 should have more throw but much kess overall output and no spill ... but more runtime. Totally different animal.
bernie

hburner

Enlightened
While were on the subject of upgrades any comments on the Turbohead adapter for the C3?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
That is the SW02 tailcap, the coolest looking SF tailcap IMHO :cool: ... I love it!
You can buy it seperately, but it ain't cheap, about 60 bucks. Functionally identical to the Z48.
bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The KT2 Turbo head fits and runs the N2 lamp for 105lm for 1 hour. It also accepts the MN15 and MN16 lamps for whoopin 225 lm for 20min on 3x123.
As the KT2 is backordered you can get the KT1 which is the same except that it comes with the N1 lamp for 2x123 ...
bernie

hburner

Enlightened
Your right about that it does look good! I have done pretty good I think on figuring out what most of the abbs. are in CPF but what the heck is IMHO? Probably something simple, but what?

hburner

Enlightened
Wow! That might be worth looking into also! Do they make it in the HA/OD color? Wonder if they make the KT2 with a CB?

Last edited:

hburner

Enlightened
Kiessling, Do those LA apply just like they would as if they were on a M3T, MN15=125 lumens for 60 min MN16 = 225 lumens for 20 min? Thanks.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
hburner said:
Your right about that it does look good! I have done pretty good I think on figuring out what most of the abbs. are in CPF but what the heck is IMHO? Probably something simple, but what?

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I faced the same question recently . a bug out gear drop in 5 watt module, or for about the same price ,:thinking: a new 5 watt Nuwai LED light. I went with the Nuwai 5 watt for about $72 delivered.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Tsask, I'm glad you mentioned that Nuwai ALX-253 5-watter.

I seriously considered it before I got my SF L5. For 1/3 the cost (retail) of the L5, it sure looks like a nifty bargain.

According to FLReviews, the Nuwai actually has flatter, longer runtime. The light might be a "sleeper," because one doesn't read much about it here.

How do you rank its ergonomics, beam quality, reliability, and durability?

Latest posts