Kid's Light

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Kid\'s Light

I'm looking for a durable and descent flashlights for my two kids (5 yrs/8yrs). I'd like to find some which automatically turn themselves OFF after about a minute.

My kids fail to turn off all of my lights when they "borrow" them and I invetiably end up with dead batteries.

Could anyone propose a circuit design to do the same thing so I can convert a regular flashlight?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Kid\'s Light

Two lights come to mind and maybe a third possibilty. Go to www.techass.com , the eternalight has a setting for fade to black and he also has the "zlite"(See recent threads on this here at CPF). Also check the Photon III. It may have a turnoff feature but kids, most likely, won't use it. Oh, before I forget, try the PAL light. It has four settings and the lowest setting is "always" on but will last two years(so the mfg says). All in a case about 3X 2,3/4X 1,1/4 inchs with a 9v battery.
grin.gif
I hope this gives you a start.
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

I would say the Photon 3 with it set to auto off or the Pal surival it also has an auto off feature. If you go with the Photon (the kids would like it more) make sure to attach it to a neck lanyard or something larger so you can find it or retrive it easier when the ids loose it
wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Back in November someone wrote to me telling of this here web site... http://batterysavers.com

They sell lights that look much like Dorcy`s Cool-Blue range- probably using the same bodies and LEDs too, but with one added feature-a motion activated switch that shuts off after 2 minutes of stillness. Perhaps not the most practical design for all applications- but certainly for kids to play with, it sounds ideal. I`ve not yet tried to scavenge samples off these guys (or even just buy one) so can`t say how good or not they are, but just by eyeballing the photos, if you`re familiar with Dorcy or LEDCorp lights, they`re probably similar in build and light output. I think you can use an incandesdcent bulb too if the LED isn`t bright enough.

shocked.gif
tongue.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

BatterySavers Flashlightsinstalls a two minute off motion switch in their flashlights. Then, if the flashlight is picked up or moved it's back on for another two minutes.

I ordered the Dorcy Cool Blue Aluminum LED from them. It took a month and half to arrive, and the auto-off feature doesn't work. Still, all I was looking for when I ordered it, was that particular flashlight.
(That's not a very good testimonial, but it is suppose to have that auto-off feature.)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

As much as I love LEDs and want everyone in the world to have an LED flashlight, such a flashlight may be inappropriate for children given their tendency to stare directly into the beam of any flashlight. The LED's are just too intense a light for their l'il retinas. Perhaps an LED flashlight with the traditional reflector/lens assembly wherein the lens itself could be frosted to cut down on the intensity of the LED but still provide enough "gee-whiz" light for the kiddies. Children old enough to *not* leave the light on unattended will probably be more likely candidates for LED lights such as the Eternalight or PAL, whose LED's are exposed.