Christmas Gift E1e or 6p?

Kolohe

Newly Enlightened
I've got a friend who's really into expensive gadgets. Everytime I see him, he'll have a new cellphone, watch, ipod, laptop, etc. He's not a flashoholic, but I am planning on getting him a Surefire and a bunch of CR123s because I think he'll enjoy owning a high end light. I honestly don't know what/where he'll use it, but he does travels a lot (he takes 2-4 1 month long trips a year). The local Surefire dealer has the 6P, E1e and the E1e Winelight for about the amount I want to spend. My question is, what do you think would make a better Christmas present? The 6P and its powerful P60 or the more geeky E1e (HA III or Winelight).

And NO, I am not going to buy him both!

Kolohe

rikvee

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Kolohe!

gadgets... mmm that means Surefire L2 in my book, powerful LED and 2-stage
if that's too much money I'd say Fenix L1 (I know, boring suggestion, but I think it's the ideal non-flashaholic light, LED and 1AA)

edit: sorry to ignore the actual question, but a 6P is somewhat bulkier than it needs to be, and an E1e isn't that bright.
For small lights, LEDs will last longer, save the incandescents for outdoor throw.....

Last edited:

quokked

Enlightened
E1e all the way,
If he is a serious gadget person
- he'll like the tiny size and the insane amount of light (compared to other ordinary lights that size) that'll put out
- If he becomes he's a true flashaholic in training he'll get a KL4 head eventually and make it a TW4
- The 6p is a good starter light but he might not have enough pocket space for the 6p with his other gadgets
- Get the HA-III model me thinks :)

Good luck

PS. I wish my friends got me cool lights for christmas, I've got a stack of wine now but not winelights :lol: :laughing:
-----------------
Semper Paratus

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadget freak or flashaholic get the E1E in HAIII. It's a great stand alone light and if he gets into it, a perfect start for the SF E series modular parts.

The Winelight is very distinctive but it will be impossible to match up any modular add ons.

Mark

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the E1e and the 6P would NOT be the best choices in my opinion.

For the ...non-flashaholic... I think you wouold do much better with something like the Fenix L1p.

Why?

It's "LUXEON" LED! A super cool emerging technology that will wow any un-informed non-flashaholic. Besides if he's a gotta have the latest gadget LED is cooler than incandescent. He is gonna see over the next year tons of advertisments about this new cool solid state light makers and gonna know he go one from you first! Matter of fact he's gonna whip one out and show all the buddies at the office when the're talking about these new LED lights and show them all he really is the Gadget guru.

It uses standard AA batteries. We have more than a few "flashaholics" right here in CPF that refuse to use 123's. Can you imagine a non-flashaholic going to the drugstore for wrapping paper and stopping by the battery section for a spare and getting sticker shock at $11.99 for a Duracell Ultra 123!

The Fenix impresses me, and I've been a flashaholic for 41 years now and have purchased thousands of dollars of lights over those fourty years.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I think running a wire with ONE 123a battery is a mistake. In other words... incan flashlights run by ONE 123a battery are just plain ole dumb.

Now, running an LED with one 123a battery... ie: HDS EDC, E1L, Nuwai Q3... THAT'S an efficient use of the battery.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say:
E1l, Phoenix L1p, or any other small LED light. I think he would get a kick out of them.

I am also a gadgeteer, and try to get the best of everything.. The e1l does it for me.

-tom

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a psychologist for a moment, you seem to know your friend well, I would disagree with SS as to the legitimacy of a E1e, pretty high tech to a non flashaholic, But agree with him RE about LED technology.

Your friend also sound's like he can afford 123's at wally world price's so as much as I like the Fenix from what I have heard, the SF Just ooz's more mil spec bad'assed'ness in look, performance, and function. I would pick a 1X123 E- series over a 6P just on HA-III and cool look,BUT unless you think your friend want's a WOW factor beam instead of WOW look and function (add on's like a KL-1),, I definately would get the E1e/E1L. VDG

paulr

Flashaholic
The E1e incan is pretty obsolete IMO. If you want to get an E1-based light, go for an E1L. I'd only go for that tactical style though if the guy is into military stuff. For a normal civilian geek, go for a Fenix L1P if you're on a budget. CR123A's are a nuisance even for geeks.

Kolohe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input everyone. You guys rock.

Although I don't own one, I know the Fenix is a nice light judging by all of the rave reviews here. Problem is, because of shipping and traveling plans, he'd never get it until waayyy after Christmas. Also, I think I want to stick with Surefire. I'll be giving him 10 BS 123s, so he should be OK for awhile.

The E1l is very nice, but it is out of my price range.

I really like the 6P because of its strong performance/quality/price. It is my current "bump in the night" light. If I get this for him, I don't think he'd EDC it, so it would probably be a bedside/car/house light.

I held the E1e and really like its size. However, the one I played with didn't have fresh batts, so I couldn't tell how bright it is. I am pretty sure he might EDC it.

Right now I think I am leaning towards the E1e.

Kolohe

CLHC

Flashaholic
Eh Braddah Kolohe! Jus wanna say watts up an howzit goin' das all?

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! There's a lot of interesting comment going on here. . .

luigi

Enlightened
What about an Orb Raw?
It will be a lot brighter than most small lights he can find, it has the tritium locator that is itself a great gadget.
It's more gifteable than a e1 in my modest opinion.
And one final thought suposse he loves the e1, he does some research and finds the e2e maybe he then would prefer an e2e but once you gave him an e1 buying an e1 would be like saying your gift wasn't good enough, he will be stuck with the e1 :)

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orb raw might not be that appealing to a non flashoholic due to its short batt life.
Go fenix! Looks cool, IS cool and is bright/has decent run time

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
The E1e incan is pretty obsolete IMO. If you want to get an E1-based light, go for an E1L. I'd only go for that tactical style though if the guy is into military stuff. For a normal civilian geek, go for a Fenix L1P if you're on a budget. CR123A's are a nuisance even for geeks.

I think this is, IMO the one way of thinking that show's how far light's have came, but hamstring's us as "illumination junkie's" too. The rest of the world
has not moved far from typical mag mini's 2-3 D's etc. not many non-flashoholic's wouldn't jump turning on a small cool looking E1e in the dark. VDG

luigi

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
Orb raw might not be that appealing to a non flashoholic due to its short batt life.
Go fenix! Looks cool, IS cool and is bright/has decent run time

I would say it is the opposite way, the more flasholic you are the more you use the light and then you want runtime. If you want to have a "cool gadget" to impress friends an Orb Raw will certainly be enough to impress a lot of people. And I think it has very nice look to be a gift.

Bah, who knows? :)

firefly99

Enlightened
Go for the E1E, a tiny incan light. Add on the KL1 LED module to convert to a E1L. Then you have the best of both world.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
rabbit said:
E1E, and get a KL1 when he is bored with the incan!

or get at KL4 if he can afford it! then he'd have a TW4 which in my opinion is the best use for an E1e.

I keep this is my going on the town jacket