Question about the G&P 5 watt drop-in for Surefire lights

Sburr23

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm new to CPF, I have a question for you. What do you think of the G&P 5 watt drop-ins for the surefire lights? Does this convert the Surefire into a GP light, or is it bright enough for tactical use. I'm not LEO or Military, but I do carry a light to use as a force option (shine light into someone's eyes). I've read reviews and looked at the throw and output numbers, but its hard to know what the numbers really mean. I have a Surefire L2 and I know if isn't as bright, but is it close to a SF L4? What about the quality, I have never owned any of these kinds of conversions before.

Great forum you guys have here.

Thanks

Steve

rikvee

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Sburr23, pull up a chair and hide your wallet :laughing:

G & P replacement bulbs are in some ways better than Surefire, their 9V bulb is perhaps smoother than the P90.
The 5W drop-in may seem expensive, but it can indeed be whiter (slightly less bright) with a better hot-spot (but less spill) than the average 65 lumens SF KL4/L4.
Altogether very good value, the tiny ridges on the supplied bezel could perhaps charitably be called "tactical"....
"Tactical brightness" starts at 60 Lumens apparently, but I'm sure there is a variety of opinion on that....

Last edited:

socom45

Newly Enlightened
If I might make a suggestion....the new KL3 from surefire is an excellent choice if used with a 6volt surefire, like the m2 or 6p. Excellent runtime...bright enough to blind someone temporarily and run around $55.00 from lighthoundthe kl5 is exceptionally brighter but you'll suffer for that at the cost of runtime.
I've used the older kl3, as well as the g&p 3w drop in and wasn't impressed. Also beware if you use the 5w drop in from g&p it might get too hot for the standard bezel of the light you are putting it in. hope this helps

rikvee

Enlightened
Hi Socom45 :wave:

not sure if the 5W drop-in would fit inside other bezels, it is longer, with a deeper reflector, probably the way it prevents a donut hole and creates a useful hot-spot.
The KL-3 seems to be too narrow for many people, but, that would make it more tactical perhaps, nice-looking shape as well.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Hi rikv the 5w drop in...I was told, will fit in the 6p bezel but does get a bit hot. The new KL3, second generation is a bit more robust than the older kl3...and the optics have been greatly improved giving it more throw as well as being brighter. The KL5 costs about $20.00-$25.00 more than the 3w drop in but is well worth the price difference. :)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
G&P's 1W, 3W, and 5W LED modules are listed here. The 5W tactical LED module comes with its own head designed to dissipate the heat. They also sell a 5W LED with a miniturbo head; this head will throw farther, but requires a 9V light (6P+A19 spacer).

lexina

Enlightened
the good thing about the 5W mini-turbo head is that you can run it on a 6P with 2 RCR123s. the 5W tactical head is not meant to be run on a 3-cell voltage although it will prob be possible to run it on a single 17670 albeit at the sacrifice of some brightness.