Just got a Gladius....nice!

Bluehinder

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just fired up a new Gladius, boy, this is a tasty light. Nice beam, dimming is great, I think the strobe is way cool (I'm going to try it on my wife tonight), purchase feels good.

The finish is only okay, not bad...good actually, just not up to SF.

I'm going to carry this around for awhile. It would make a good nightstand light with the strobe function. Gees, that strobe even pisses me off!

Anyone else play with this thing? Thoughts?

Blue

CLHC

Flashaholic
You bought a Night-Ops? ! ? ! ?—But why? He he he. . .

Enjoy Your New Found Fandangled Lummie!

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Gladius also.

I like the beam and the different modes. It will be replacing a 6P/G2 as my on duty back-up light, as soon as they get their new holsters on the market.

It is one of few high-end lights I have purchased recently that actually looks and works as advertised right out of the box.

She's a keeper for sure.

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
I've shied away due to the tricky battery replacement required. after you evaluate it (ok, play with it) tell me what you think about replacement process, thx

Navck

Enlightened
HDS EDC is better in my opinion, lack of strobe, but battery options are better.
Simlar things (Brightness level, thermal protection, etc)

Blazer

Enlightened
I've had one for a few weeks now and played around a little with it. The battery replacement is quirky but not hard by any means. The only comment I have (other than loving it) is that the tailcap is made of plastic and doesn't seem to have the quality I'd expected, but we'll see how it holds up over time.

Otherwise the features and functions are fantastic, with a little practice one can become very proficient in switching (onehanded) from one function to another. It's the most feature packed, versatile flashlight I own or have seen in a while.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
The battery replacement is nothing that should stop you from considering the Gladius. It's simple. It requires one easy step before twisting the tailend tight.

Review the directions one time and you'll be fine.

Not to mention the Gladius has a low battery indicator. I think the Gladius has an advantage in the battery department.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love mine.
I wish they would make a rechargeable about the size of the T4 using Li-ion batteries with the 2+ hrs run. wouldn't need the stobe but dimming would be great. same output,throw and side spill as the Gladius, but the run time and recharability of the T4

That would be perfect for me as an on duty patrol light for me.

UVvis

Enlightened
I love mine, I've had it for a few months now, and was sold immediately on getting it.

Mine is an OD version. The finish is wearing off on high spots, and from where I have beat the living crap out of it so far. I honestly think that many of the "nice finish" people would cry if they saw how beat up mine is getting, but even HA3 will get beat up from what I have been doing to it. The plastic tailcap has held up better than the metal under the finish on my light.

The tailcap isn't a problem at all. I can actuall start the tailcap on the gladius faster than I can start a tailcap on a standard surefire. Might sound odd, but it does work that way.

The big thing I have found, is that my batteries last a really really really long time with this light, as I find myself using on lower power most of the time.

There is not any other light out there that has the adaptive capacity of the gladius. If there is, someone please point it out.

I also plan to get a second Gladius as soon as I get stateside.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
GWC3 said:
I've shied away due to the tricky battery replacement required. after you evaluate it (ok, play with it) tell me what you think about replacement process, thx

I played with battery replacement 3 times and can now do it faster than with my SF's. Once the 'lug' on the tailcap drops into place it threads fast and easy every time. Battery replacement should not be a showstopper for anyone considering purchasing one.

To those with the cerakote finish. This is what I have and it appears to be tough. I've rubbed the BACK of my knife blade across this coating and the coating slightly rubbed off some of my knife blade finish. That being said, HA3 is a very well known quantity and is still my preference if for no more reason than familiarity.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its one of my favorite lights because of the strobe. It certainly gets attention. Last night at the mall a vehicle was backing up too close to me for my liking (wifey and I were walking), and it quickly stopped when the strobe hit 'em. If you are out at night on foot, its good to have. I have also used it successfully to repel an attacking chihuahua.

Battery replacement is easy, and I'm using a 168S. Finish is wearing slightly, but its no biggy. The lifetime warranty should cover the electronics like SF does, but other than that there is little not to like. I think that Ken Good would take care of you if you had a prob.

best regards

Safety1st

Enlightened
Just bought mine from a CPF member...

Intend to use it in Law Enforcement...so really looking forward to it arriving...

I'll keep you informed..

Any other quirkes tips or such like to the ownership....i'd like to hear 'em..:thanks:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
HDS EDC is better in my opinion, lack of strobe, but battery options are better.
Simlar things (Brightness level, thermal protection, etc)

These are totally different lights with different purposes. You're comparing apples and bananas. The Gladius is a bigger light (bigger more efficient reflector with better throw) HDS is smaller and designed primarily as an EDC. The Gladius is geared towards law enforcement use where pocketability is secondary. The Gladius is also much brighter but again that's a consequence of who it's targeted for. As an alternative to high performance 2x123 Xenon lights like Surefires, the Gladius is a very serious contender and superior to them in many ways.

hardrock42

Newly Enlightened
Impressed with the Gladius Stats. Have bought one myself today (Live in the UK, ordered it from th US since its cheaper). I go on several hikes and camps each year and I look foreward to using such a brilliant piece of engineering! I expect it to last me all my life! (that is, if it doesnt get lost! thank goodness for for Lanyards!!). Does anybody know how to make it stand upright. Pics seem to indicate that it cant really be used as a candle. Personaly im not bothered, but if it did, that would be an added bonus!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there another torch that has the same strobe function, ie bright and fast, but much cheaper ?