What Luxeon V light to mod?

trailbiker

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new here and would like to get some input on what flashlight to mod. I want a Luxeon V light with a good flood pattern to be run on the handlebars of a bicycle. I would consider a LuxIII light as well if it has a nice flood beam pattern. A light that I can obtain an extra rear cap to mod would allow me to connect to my existing 6v 5.0 Ah pack that drives my 15w flood halogen. The voltage range of this pack (5 d cell Sanyo Cadnica) will be very nearly 7v when fully charged and right around 6v when it falls off. So I am thinking a light that uses a regulator and is designed for two 123a cells would be a good candidate voltage wise. I can readily get handlebar mounts that will fit diameters from a Maglite AA to a standard C cell light if needed. I would prefer to get a light that uses AA cells but the voltage it is designed for would be much lower. Small, lightweight & not too spendy would be best.

I want to be able to carry the unmodded cap and some extra cells (123a's or L91 AA's) as a backup if I run my main pack down too far. Also can lightweight dummy 123a or aa cells be purchased?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

trailrider

nightrider

Enlightened
In the beginning of my LED bike light adventure, I modded a 1 Watt Luxeon flashlight into a Luxeon V flashlight that I strapped onto my helmet and powered with an external battery pack. As you are suggesting, it's cheaper just to buy a Lux V flashlight to start with.

You might try something like a Nuwai [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TM-301X-5. [/font]

Unfortunatly, a single Lux V will not be enough light for trail riding IMHO, (although it can get you out of the woods in an emergency). In a combo with a good helmet light it might be OK. I run a Triple Luxeon III helmet light with a dual Lux V handlebar light and it is an awesome combo. All my stuff is homebuilt. Check the threads here, if you haven't already... may help you get some ideas, especially from the beamshots.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/100849
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99175

Last edited: