Rodent control and inspection's

Catch66

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
A great forum,I am in the pest control bussiness and am now wanting to purchase a combo lite.
I have read a few post's here and am wondering if the 365nm or 375nm range the best for rodent viewing. I am using a maglite 3 D flashlight for my inspections now.
I basically want a combo that can be used for UV pest evidence and a bright lite to do normal inspections.What I have gathered from reading is that some uv do not project enough lite to view with out total darkness.Not what I am looking for,would like it under $100.00.
Any help with links would be great or your personnell experiences with various lites.
Any replys are welcome in advance.
Catch66

AESOP

Newly Enlightened
Hello Catch66.
Welcome to the group. While I do not have the info you are looking for, many here do and will help you all they can.
I am sure we can help improve your Mag as well if you are interested. :grin2:

Michael

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a tough one. I saw a member who custom made a real screamer which also had a green laser. Lot more than $100. I just typed in "UV flashlight" on ebay and came up with a nice cheap chinese light that might be worth checking out since it is so cheap. They I looked further and found this one which looks great but might be overkill for you. Have a look on eBay.

As for having one light do both... let's see if any CPF'rs can come up with something but I think you'll need two flashlights if one of those ebay cheapies dont work. (Cheap as they may be they are nice lights however)

A pest guy doing a termite report for me a while back was using a StreamLight Stiron or TL-3, can't remember which. Seems like the yellow tint of the incandescent helped see things well escpecially during the daytime. Any comments on using bright white LEDs vs Incan for your job?

Weclome to CPF :)

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Catch 66 and Welcome to CPF-

There are any number of UV lights now, but not a huge selection of combo lights. Streamlight does make versions of the TwinTask 3xC light with 6 LEDs in either 375 or 390 nM with a xenon incandescent lamp for visible light.

One of our favorite dealers, Bright Guy carries them and some other UV lights.

The Streamlight TwinTasks are good lights and they are not expensive. I have no experience with UV lights of any kind, so I am not sure if a combo light is best for your purposes. The xenon lamp portion of these lights should be fine for your visible light needs.

Happy Hunting
Mark

GrnXnham

Enlightened
I am also in the pest control industry.

I have not found a good quality light that is both a UV/blacklight and a regular light as well. I have a combo light that was given to me free by the makers of Generation. However, I wouldn't recommend it as it is not tough enough or bright enough for everyday pest control work. I'd suggest going with two separate lights if you want good quality. I don't know about you but I rarely use a UV light anyway, so I don't want to always have to lug around the extra weight of a combo light if I don't need it.

A 3D Mag, huh? I used to use one of these. It just wasn't reliable enough or bright enough to light up a crawlspace. I now use the Sears Craftsman Ultrabeam Lantern (about $45) and I have been using this light for about 15 years now. I haven't found anything better in the same size for the same price.

Catch66

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply's,
It seems that for what I want is the 380nm for the best results for Rodent's.The site You mentioned was very good the Automotive lite looks very good Does anyone here on the Forum have this particlular flashlight and how bright is the uv from XeLED-40UV-AE, the price is more than I wanted to spend. But it is what I had in mind.

Catch66

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
GrnXnham said:
I am also in the pest control industry.

I have not found a good quality light that is both a UV/blacklight and a regular light as well. I have a combo light that was given to me free by the makers of Generation. However, I wouldn't recommend it as it is not tough enough or bright enough for everyday pest control work. I'd suggest going with two separate lights if you want good quality. I don't know about you but I rarely use a UV light anyway, so I don't want to always have to lug around the extra weight of a combo light if I don't need it.

A 3D Mag, huh? I used to use one of these. It just wasn't reliable enough or bright enough to light up a crawlspace. I now use the Sears Craftsman Ultrabeam Lantern (about $45) and I have been using this light for about 15 years now. I haven't found anything better in the same size for the same price.

Guys,

I'm curious about the utilization of UV for checking on pests. How is the UV utilized for this, and what do you see?

I'm just curious, because I've never heard of this.

Thanks!

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
randyo said:
The little furry pests gotta pee just like you and me. Pee glows under certain wavelengths of UV light.

Ah, now I get it! The same way you can use lights to find, uh, 'stuff' in hotel rooms.:eeew:

Thanks.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
UV LEDs seem to get more expensive as the wavelengths get shorter -- sometimes costing ten times as much as LEDs at 395-400nm.

You may also consider that as the wavelength gets shorter there is corespondingly less and less visible light available to help you navigate while inspecting. If you have LEDs with a short enough wavelength you won't be able to see anything in front of you unless it floresces, which I would think could be problematic.

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest not getting a combo light, as it excessively narrows your choices. You can get two lights that collectively are more compact than your single Mag 3D. You can get a nice, compact, powerful flashlight, then get whatever UV light you want.

For a duty application like rodent inspection, the Streamlight Strion is a good choice. It's very bright, rechargeable, and very compact. It's shorter than an AA Minimag, but has 8.6 times the output, or over double the output of your big 3D Mag. Depending on options it's about $80.

I showed a Strion to my termite inspector and he was so excited he planned on getting one for each person on his team.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_strion.htm
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=STR74002

If you want a less expensive but high quality LED light that's tough and runs on common AA batteries, the Streamlight Propoly Luxeon 4AA is a good choice. Just about $25:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

I'm less familiar with UV lights so I'll leave recommendations to others, but I think your best option is getting two different lights. That way you can optimize each one, and put together they can still be smaller than your single 3D Mag.

Catch66

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Thanks for the information from everyone who responded.
One question on UV when it is stated that the Peak nm readings is 390 say, and by looking at most graphs it appears that this actually covers several ranges until its peak range is reached.
By the research and information I have recieved could a 390 nm uv work for pest application's. The 380 would be best for my application, but if the 390 would also cover it... this being my question.I am still wanting a USA made lite.
Thanks for any response in advance.
Catch66

Catch66

Newly Enlightened
:goodjob: Thanks for all the reply's from the above members.
Just a update You were right Below $100.00 a hard one to come through with.
I must give Xenopus Electronic's alot of credit and are very quick on E-mail responses,with all information requied a A+ in my book.

Decided Going with the XeLed-Cr1UV-395 mini mag. and a XeLed-20UV-380 mag.for longer distances when needed.After reading a # of articles Uv can even detect microbial on surfaces in resterants and plants.

Thanks Again
icon14.gif

Catch66