custom lanyards

photorob

Enlightened
I am in the prosess of making some custom lanyards for my flashlights. I was wondering if evryone would like to share with me some of your own designs.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello GhostRider!

I like those picture shots of your fob/lanyards—especially the one you rigged up for that Inova? Pretty slick looking I must say!

ghostrider

Enlightened
It's not a Fenix, it's an Inova X5. That particular cord is fairly thin so all I had to do was loop some line (I usually use discarded inner strands from para cord) through the loop, and then pull it through the lanyard hole.

For para cord I take out the inner strands.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I have a couple of Atomic6's lanyards. He's not around anymore, but here's a couple of his threads with pictures. 1 & 2
The tan paracord looks great on my brass Fire~Fly.

ghostrider

Enlightened
CHC said:
Hello GhostRider!

I like those picture shots of your fob/lanyards—especially the one you rigged up for that Inova? Pretty slick looking I must say!
Thanks. I like to call that one my "Twisted Fist".

Here's more.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting fobs there! Just an off topic for the moment. . .Is that Hondurian Cigars? Humidor? Just curious that's all. . .

"Twisted Fist" eh? I like that one!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Now these last four has my attention! I must say—Nice work GhostRider! Very nice!

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights have a few of mine.:p

mcgiz01.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been making and selling lanyards for a while,
it can be fun, comming up with different braids, styles etc.

Here are some of mine.

with_L4_02.sized.jpg

IMG_8322.sized.jpg

IMG_2169.sized.jpg

IMG_2409.sized.jpg

~John

ghostrider

Enlightened
It is a lot of fun, experimenting to see what you can come up with. Hunting down different types of cord can be fun also.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh you guys make me look sad

The only thing I've done in recent memory and boy were my constrictor knots UGLY <sigh>.

T4Lanyard.jpg

dfred

Enlightened
ghostrider, Beamhead, and jtice -- nice work all! I recognize all the knots in there except the really bulky macrame fob thing in several of ghostriders. Does that have a specific name so I could look it up when I get home? (Or even better a ABoK #... :) )

And thanks, CHC, for the pointer to that other thread...

Here's a pic of one of those seized lanyards:
dsc_5565.small.cropped.jpg

And here's a "proof of concept" single finger loop for a Carribean pocket body. It doesn't have the extra seizings over the top but is still very secure...
dsc_5847.small.cropped.jpg

dfred

Enlightened
zespectre said:
Gosh you guys make me look sad

The only thing I've done in recent memory and boy were my constrictor knots UGLY <sigh>.

You just need to get some proper size line to do those with... :)

Techmedic

Enlightened
Ghostrider,

I make my own lanyards too, and I don't understand the use or purpose of the ball in the above photos. I have lanyards to protect against the hand opening with the light in it, to prevent it from dropping to the ground (breakage) or into the water (total loss) if boating.

Enlighten me please!

I also make use of elastic cord, the same type used on leather portable 2-way radio holsters. Makes the lanyard like a mini-bungee to reduce sharp jerks if let go.
I also have a lanyard on my leatherman that is clipped to a jean's belt loop with enough slack to work with it used only when I am at the cottage. (lest I look like too much of a nerd)

Thanks!

Last edited:

krautracer

Newly Enlightened
Hey Ghostrider those lanyards look pretty cool.
I have 2 questions for you. What do you use for a center on the monkey fist lanyards, and how do you the lanyard you have in purple? Or are there instructions on the web?
Thanks Brett

ghostrider

Enlightened
zespecter:
Don't know exactly how you did it, but the way you coiled the cord around the "Seized Lanyard" like that looks pretty cool. I think I tried the "Constrictor Knot" once maybe twice.

dfred said:
ghostrider, Beamhead, and jtice -- nice work all! I recognize all the knots in there except the really bulky macrame fob thing in several of ghostriders. Does that have a specific name so I could look it up when I get home? (Or even better a ABoK #...
Hello dfred,
It's a "Cobra Stitch" (two actually, one over the other). Do one side, then flip it and do the other side. Here's a link where I learned it. Look up "Cobra Stitch" and "King Cobra".
http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_cobra_stitch.htm
http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_cobra_bracelet1.htm#kc

I don't finish mine like he does because of the different purpose.
There are other sources, but this one helped me most on this fob. I've also heard of and seen a "Portuguese Sinnet" which looks very similar to the "Cobra Stitch" (they look the same to me but I haven't looked that closely).

The twisted sections are just a variation of the "Cobra Stitch" only without alternating the ends.

Techmedic said:
Ghostrider,

I make my own lanyards too, and I don't understand the use or purpose of the ball in the above photos. I have lanyards to protect against the hand opening with the light in it, to prevent it from dropping to the ground (breakage) or into the water (total loss) if boating.

Enlighten me please!

I also make use of elastic cord, the same type used on leather portable 2-way radio holsters. Makes the lanyard like a mini-bungee to reduce sharp jerks if let go.
I also have a lanyard on my leatherman that is clipped to a jean's belt loop with enough slack to work with it used only when I am at the cottage. (lest I look like too much of a nerd)

Thanks!
Hello Techmedic,
The ball you refer to is called a "Monkey's Fist". That's why I refer to the ones with twisted whipping as the "Twisted Fist". I use it mainly as a fob. A fob can be useful for multi-purpose. They can be utilized to help locate a certain item to which it is attached. They can also be used in aiding control of an item. For instance in the pic of my X5 the fob is used in drawing the light from it's sheath. I put grip tape on the body of the light so it tends to hold onto the sheath. The fob helps not only in aiding my hand to "find" the light, but also in extra leverage to withdraw it from the sheath. The ball (in this case a Monkey's Fist) acts as a stopper knot. It is wider than the rest of the fob so as to prevent the fob slipping out of one's grasp. It's also decorative. Unless I am mistaken, the knot is mainly associated with sailors. It's used to add weight to the end of a line when throwing the line.

I also collect pocket knives, and a fob can be helpful on them. Again it helps in locating the desired object to be drawn. However, it can also aid in control of the knife. Here is a pic of a friends Spyderco Cricket that I attached a fob to.

The fob (on a small knife such as this) can aid in controlling the knife by acting as an extension of the handle. This actually allows the knife to be handled like a knife with a larger handle size due to the added control of the fob. The ball at the end of the fob (again in this case a Monkey's Fist) acts to provide tension in the fob for a more secure grip, and it also "locks in" the pinky so the knife feels more secure. It can also aid in one-handed opening of such a small knife.

I've also used a "Monkey's Fist" on lanyards. In that situation they act more like a fob at the end of a lanyard. A good example is when I attach my knife to a carabineer on my belt loop. The ball at the end helps me find where it is attached to the carabineer.

Hope I explained it well enough. If I didn't, I'll be more than happy to answer further questions.

I've also used that stretch cord (or "shock cord") that you refer to on my X1. With it I don't have to detach the lanyard from the carabiner if I want to use the light, yet I don't have to deal with an excess amount of cord.

krautracer said:
Hey Ghostrider those lanyards look pretty cool.
I have 2 questions for you. What do you use for a center on the monkey fist lanyards,
Hello Brett,
I picked up some small marbles at WalMart. They are nothing more than slingshot ammo (½") by a company called trumark. I've also used bigger marbles in the past. However, the only Monkey's Fist that I've posted so far, that I used a weight for the center was the red one with the teal (they actually list it as forest green) "Cobra Twist" whipping. All the other Monkey's Fist fobs that I've posted thus far have nothing inserted in the center.
krautracer said:
…and how do you the lanyard you have in purple? Or are there instructions on the web?Thanks Brett
It started out with a "King Cobra", then followed by a "Knife Lanyard Knot", then a "Cobra Twist, then a "Overhand" (which can be taken out if preferred), then a final "Knife Lanyard Knot".
See here for the "Knife Lanyard Knot":
http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=34
or here:
http://www.folsoms.net/knots/