This flashlight thing might be catching on

RebelRAM

Enlightened
This flashlight thing might just be catching on. Last night I went to Target to pick up some Christmas gifts and a few other things we needed.

I did need to pick up one light for a gift. I got a River Rock incan/LED 3 AAA hybrid. What I noticed though were that there were a lot of empty slots. And it was mostly the high end stuff that people had bought. The cheaper lower quality lights were still on the rack. The River Rock stuff still had a few items to pick from, but the Inovas were just about cleaned out. I saw two X5's and then some of the newer vented style Inova Radiants. The X1's and the Microlights were completely cleaned out! There were still plenty of Mags. Actually the Mags looked mostly untouched. So people are definitely catching on.

My wife actually liked the Inovas. She thought they looked really cool. She liked the X5 a lot. I asked if she wanted me to buy her one, but she said no. I had already gotten her a light for a stocking stuffer, but it's not an Inova. I got her a girly looking one, so hopefully she'll like it as much as the Inova.
I'm converting her slowly :)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to post a similar finding when I saw your thread. I was also out last night doing a bit of final Christmas shopping and I noted the following...

Target - Rather an amazing assortment of flashlights including stuff we, here at CPF, think is worthwhile to own. Most of the "good stuff" (Inovas, et al) were either out of stock or nearly so, while the el-cheapo light light hangers were full of product.

****s Sporting goods - Ok selection of headlamps but the flashlights were mostly of poor quality...stuff I certainly wouldn't want out in the woods with me. Actually overheard a hunter in the store asking a manager when they planned on "stocking some serious outdoors lights not this drug-store bargan junk". (Okay the guy was pretty rude but I couldn't help grinning about it).

WalMart - They are getting sneaky with a few Dorcy and such in the back (almost hidden) and all of their cheap craplights right at the register, marked way down for impulse purchases. Even so, the hang tags that were empty were for the better Dorcy lights and so forth.

Maybe it's because people don't want to be caught buying cheap crap for Christmas or maybe the buying public is really starting to understand that there is a better quality of lights out there now. I don't know but I hope the latter is true.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I know my family members are starting to ask for better lights. The other day my brother and I were putting up his 4 wheeler after dark and I used my G2 to light up the door to the shed so he could see how to lock back the padlock. He turned around and asked me "What in the world is that, dang that's bright!" So I let him play with it for a little bit. His comment was "Wow! That kicks the crap out of a Maglite!" So I'm thinking, "hmm, I know what I'll probably get him for his birthday in Feb".

And then last week my dad and I were discussing flashlights as Christmas presents. We got to talking about LEDs and their performance. So far my dad isn't impressed with LEDs, said they didn't have the distance he was looking for. I think all he has though is a couple cheap low end LEDs. So I told him about the D cell Mags I have put LED drop-ins on. I think this weekend I'll take a couple of my Mags and let him play with them to see if he likes that kind of performance. My dad has always been a tool guy who likes reliable and well made tools. But he has never really been much into flashlights. He has had several, but never really any high-end stuff. So it may be time to introduce him to the better options avaliable now.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Mags and the cheapies were probably just restocked as they sell. With the better lights they probably didn't order as many and when they're gone they're gone.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
I was going to post about this also. I was at Target and Sears and 70 percent of the flashlight section were empty hooks. I stopped by Sams because my friend wanted a pack of the Elements. I got the last pack in the store! He sure got luckly. They still had about two dozen of the black Cyclops left and the 10M Thor lights for $30. I'm hoping after Christmas the 10M Thors will go on sale. I rather pick up the 15M Thor but not a member of Costcos

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I don't think the supplies are being depleted by just hunting/camping. For one thing, Target does not sell hunting supplies and I know very few hunters who are willing to shop at Target. I think based on the placement of the flashlight displays at Target, their intended customer for lights are people who are also buying tools and camping equipment. At Walmart, they do sell hunting supplies and the flashlight displays are near the hunting/fishing/camping supplies. Also it could be that Walmart is better at replenishing their stock than Target. I do know that Walmart considers hunting equipment a seasonal item so they start stocking it around July, but by December, whatever they have left and has not sold yet is all you will find. They start discounting those items heavily about mid January to clear them out. Fishing and camping items on the other hand appear to be year-round items for them.

I think there are several variables at work in this new trend. Some of the ones that come to mind are

-- Better technology and offerings from the manufacturers

-- More competition in the flashlight market

-- Since 9/11 and Katrina, people are thinking more about emergency preparedness

-- CPF members are spreading the word(and showing off their toys)

I would say all of this activity is better for us because stores are offering more choices.

icebeng

Newly Enlightened
RebelRAM said:
I would say all of this activity is better for us because stores are offering more choices.

I know of several wives and wallets who would disagree vehemently with that! :D