Kill Winfixer

nirad

Enlightened
Anyone have trouble with the annoying Winfixer popup??? My Microsoft popup blocker wont even see it. It seems to have locked into the registry and shows itself whenever you start to surf the net. There are many adware and popup blockers out there. What do I need to Kill Winfixer???

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried running ad-aware or other spyware removers?

Switch to FireFox browser and you'll never have to worry about spyware again. Over a year and not 1 infection of any sort on this new PC. I've been using FireFox exclusivly.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
nirad said:
Anyone have trouble with the annoying Winfixer popup??? My Microsoft popup blocker wont even see it. It seems to have locked into the registry and shows itself whenever you start to surf the net. There are many adware and popup blockers out there. What do I need to Kill Winfixer???

Hit CTRL +ALT+ DEL, goto task manager tab and look for the process that is running that might say winfixer. If so kill this process and then if you're comfortable go to start, run: and type regedit and do a file search and look for winfixer in the registry and kill and instance of it. Do this only if you can't find an uninstaller for winfixer.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Install the free version of Zone Alarm. When a program attemps to access the Internet you will get a pop-up warning of the access attempt. If it is not IE (browser) related, but a separate program, Zone Alarm will give you its name (and the option to block access).

-Bill

Empath

Flashaholic
It's an infection with a vundo trojan. Symanic has a free removal tool here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.vundo.removal.tool.html

If you seek help from sites or forums that deal with helping people get rid of infections, be careful that you don't get stuck on older remedies. Those remedies are outmoded and can take page after page of instruction. Symantic's tool is one of the most recent developments in removing it.

Incidentally, it doesn't make a lot of difference what browser you use; it's a pretty sophisticated and persistant trojan.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Virus/Trojans can be gotten other than a webbrowser. But that's usualy from downloading something and running it.

I've never had a virus since I started working with computers in 1993. Knock on wood.