FlashlightReviews.com may be down for a bit.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Later this week I will be switching to a different service provider. $5 buck less per month for the same service. It adds up...... It may take a while for the DNS to catch up, so be aware it'll be down for a bit...

Doug P.

Diode

Newly Enlightened
If you have full control of your DNS zones (e.g. can reload zones on demand), you might want to shorten the TTLs to 600 shortly before the move, say about a day in advance. After the move, increase the TTLs back to the previous value, usually 86400.

NOTE: This temporary change does mean that your DNS provider will temporarily receive more DNS queries. But that's OK. After all, that is the idea. By shortening the TTLs, you're telling users (and caching servers) that your domain may change soon. The additional traffic is usually insignificant because DNS queries are very short. I've moved relatively large sites (tens of millions of hits per day), and it has worked well for me.

If you're not familiar with DNS zone files, the two relevant TTL values are the "$TTL" line at the top of the file and the last number in the SOA section (sometimes called the "minimum"). Remember that each time you update your zone file, you must increase the serial number (first number in the SOA section).

If you feel that a day or so of downtime is OK, this is overkill. However, you may want to implement this anyway to ensure continuous (or at least very close to continuous) email service.

watt4

Enlightened
if you don't make any updates during the transition period, the move may not be noticeable. upload (a copy of) your website files to the new host before changing the nameservers.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, It'll be noticeable.... I have to take the site down before I can put it up. It's complicated... The hosting service I'm switching from and to are both in the same server farm. As a result, I have to remove my domain name from their database via the one service in order to put it back up on the other service. It's weird, but it's $50 a year in savings - enough to buy another flashlight!

watt4

Enlightened
if you want to avoid downtime, you could upload a copy of the files, then use a 3rd party dns for a while. http://zoneedit.com/

or, you could go ahead as planned and not lose sleep over a little downtime. :)

btw, a reliable host is good to find. I hope you don't regret leaving a reliable host to go with a cheaper one!

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually it's the same hosting servers, same host, but not through a reseller, therfore cheaper. Going direct to the source. I told you it was complicated!

The site is down... don't know for how long. I'll try to set up the new account in a bit...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are uploading!!!!! It looks like the DNS picked up the change immediately - much better than last time.

E-mail is set up! Looks like the changeover is essentially complete! YEA!

Vee3

Enlightened
Okay, you're un-fired now....

Thanks much for the best flashlight review place anywhere. It's great!

Germ

Enlightened
Quickbeam, thanks for your site and the warning.

I just discovered life beyond Maglites and Flashlightreviews.com has become an indispensable resource. Madly, I printed out reviews of lights I'm considering :) It is almost disappointing that you did the transition so smoothly.

Thanks again for your site and all that you do.

HammerSandwich

Newly Enlightened
It has worked fine for me since I did "ipconfig /flushdns". Any Windows users with trouble should run that from a command prompt and try again.

Scottiver

Enlightened
I had trouble getting on the sight too. I had the same problem when CPF got new servers. I couldn't get on there for a week until I told a computer geek friend of mine and after trying all kinds of things that he suggested we simply restarted my computer and suddenly everything worked fine. I normally just put my computer in hibernation mode instead of shutting down completely so for some reason that was the problem.