Anyone here use xchat? (Poll)

What chat system do you use?

• I use xchat as an IRC client

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I use IRC with some other client (maybe MIRC)

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I don't use IRC but I do use Jabber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use IRC or Jabber, but I do use some IM system

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don't use IRC, Jabber, or IM systems, but I use some other online chat system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use online chat

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

paulr

Flashaholic
Does anyone here use IRC, and specifically the xchat client ( www.xchat.org )? I'm thinking of doing a plug-in for it. If you don't use xchat, do you use some other IRC client? If you don't use IRC, do you use some other chat system?

carrot

Flashaholic
Irssi (irssi.org) the best client for *nix-like systems. No graphics to waste your time, stable and secure. A while ago, I used Bitlbee (bitlbee.org), an IM/IRC portal that lets you instant message people on popular networks (AIM/ICQ/Jabber/Y!/MSN). If you take the time to configure bitlbee it's great. Same for irssi.

You'll find me on irc.freenode.net

paulr

Flashaholic
Irssi does look nice but it only supports Perl scripting, and I want to write my script in Python. Can you suggest to the irssi folks that they add Python scripting?

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the developers aren't interested in adding Python support. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to write a Perl script to catch information or whatever, then pass it to a Python script, and then recieve information back. Except I don't know enough Perl to say for sure.

paulr

Flashaholic
The issue is the user would then have to install Python, configure his firewall to accept local connections from the perl script, install the Python script, etc., a big mess. A good plug-in should be usable with a single download and install process.

LukeK

Enlightened
I use xchat most of the time, and irssi occasionally. What are you planning on doing with this plugin?

greenLED

Flashaholic
last time I logged on, it was through Trillian, and the time before it via the CPF Chat interface (whatever that interface is).