HDS AA option?

Nick Payne

Newly Enlightened
A couple of times I've used my HDS Basic 42 as a bicycle headlight for commuting with a rubber mounting block to fasten it to the handlebars, but the primary 10 lumen setting is not quite bright enough and the runtime on the 42 lumen max setting is not quite long enough to get me home (it's a 25 minute ride). The manual for the flashlight says that there's a 2xAA battery pack available as an accessory, but it is not shown on the HDS web site as an accessory. It this just vapourware or not? A 2xAA battery pack with 2500Mah NiMH cells would get around the runtime problem and also be considerably cheaper to run, and when used as a bike headlight the increased size and weight doesn't really matter.

Y

yourHDSguy

The Basic 42 should run about 75 minutes on high, add 50% to that for the XR. Another idea is the rechargeable kit. These batteries run almost as long on high and are easily swapped to keep a fresh one in the light.

turbodog

Flashaholic
ppproducts said:
The Basic 42 should run about 75 minutes on high, add 50% to that for the XR. Another idea is the rechargeable kit. These batteries run almost as long on high and are easily swapped to keep a fresh one in the light.

I feel the need to correct this. The 42 series uses a different spec led than the 60. It's actually only rated at 20 min on max. Most b42s will not get over 30-35 min on max, and b42xr will usually not be over 45-50 min on max.

Your figures sound like you're taking a 60 and throttling it back to 42.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, I get 100 minutes in the high mode on my new B42GT with an R123. :thinking:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Or you can do a 30 lumen setting...
Its coming out. (Check the HDS board) sometime this month, just carry a spare or two.

Navck, could you give a link to this thread? :)

spokes

Newly Enlightened
It amazes me that 7 people (8 including me) responded to this post without ever answering the question! (and no, I don't think you can choose a 30 lumen setting on a basic 42.)

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nick Payne said:
A couple of times I've used my HDS Basic 42 as a bicycle headlight for commuting with a rubber mounting block to fasten it to the handlebars, but the primary 10 lumen setting is not quite bright enough and the runtime on the 42 lumen max setting is not quite long enough to get me home (it's a 25 minute ride).

Well, you could consider it an excuse to get an Ultimate so you can change the brightness settings. FWIW, the U60, U60 XR and U85 are more efficent than the U42, so they should run a lot longer at 42 lumens, than the B42.

The manual for the flashlight says that there's a 2xAA battery pack available as an accessory, but it is not shown on the HDS web site as an accessory. It this just vapourware or not? A 2xAA battery pack with 2500Mah NiMH cells would get around the runtime problem and also be considerably cheaper to run, and when used as a bike headlight the increased size and weight doesn't really matter.

Yes, it has been well discussed on the HDS forum of CPF and is generally accepted that they will show up, but the big question is when. Last guestimate is Jan., but some are betting Feb.

A couple other things to consider.

The 2x123 battery pack is likely to make the light run 4x longer, not 2x. So, going to a 2x123 battery configuration is going to be useful in terms of runtime, regardless of if you decide to stick with 123A cells for this application or not (although I admit, rechargables sound like a better fit). One caution tho, 2xR123 is not supported.

That said, I think there is a better option for you than the 2xAA pack. The 1x18650 battery pack. As I understand it, the 18650 is a lithium-ion that is basically the same size as 2x123 cells (but a tad fatter) and has better runtime than 2x123 cells.

I'm sure the folks who know the B42 runtimes better will chime in here with more exact numbers, but I suspect it should net you somewhere better than 60 mins on a charge at 42 lumens (assuming a conservative 4x increase over a pessimistic 17 min runtime on max = 68 mins).

I think HDS is planning on selling an 18650 batter + charger kit, but you can also buy them from AW.

Even so, the 2xAA battery pack seems like it would be useful, and I'll probably be getting one anyway, but the 18650 seems to be the sweet spot.

-john

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could simply get a rechargeable RCR123A battery and charger, and run the B42 on full power. HDS lights are very flexible about accepting different battery types.

That would solve the cost problem, the brightness problem, and possibly the run time problem -- sometimes rechargeables have longer run time at high drain than primary cells.

Obviously the 18650 when available would be better.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe, I thought the R123 had slightly less capacity than a primary 123 cell?

-john

turbodog

Flashaholic
John N -->

Joe, I thought the R123 had slightly less capacity than a primary 123 cell?

-john

Yes, but at high-ish drain rates the lower internal resistance sort of evens the score.

I use some 750 mah rechargeable li-ion cells, and 900 mah are available. Contrast that with the typical 1300mah primary cells.

Getting back to runtime though. The 42 series has less runtime that most people think. I did a few runtime measurements on a u60 and b42xr. The results were surprising. But, Henry commented that what I saw was typical.

I expected MUCH longer runtime than the 42 delivered. Basically it came down to the fact that the 42 uses a less efficient emitter. Which really means that it gets runtime just like a 60 series, but at a lower output.

Like you all, I'm waiting on the other battery tubes as well.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
Getting back to runtime though. The 42 series has less runtime that most people think. I did a few runtime measurements on a u60 and b42xr. The results were surprising. But, Henry commented that what I saw was typical.

I expected MUCH longer runtime than the 42 delivered. Basically it came down to the fact that the 42 uses a less efficient emitter. Which really means that it gets runtime just like a 60 series, but at a lower output.

Less runtime (at setting #1) like 17 mins? Or?

-john

turbodog

Flashaholic
John N said:
Less runtime (at setting #1) like 17 mins? Or?

-john

If I understand you, you're saying your b42 gets 17 min on max?

If so, then here's my guesses:

1. out of spec light, send back for warranty (not likely)

2. battery is not warm enough to promote good chemical reation, and runtime suffers. I know from experience that a light strapped to your handlebars will stay VERY well cooled, even in 80 degree weather.

3. battery not up to spec. I *think* Henry tests with duracell. If you look on his site, the duracell's run considerably longer than any other cell, especially at certain settings.

I still vote for the r123 solution. They are cheap, and work well. I run them in mine around the house, and save real 123s for camping and out of town trips.

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
Very odd.

I wrote down the runtime numbers off the HDS webpage long before the chart was taken down. It had some kind of comment that all values were worst case estimates for a x42 unit, except the ratings for the 60 and 60XR (which were for those models, obviously). At the 42 lumen setting, it was supposed to get at least 80 minutes for a Duracell. The remaining settings were rated for 8.5 hours, 37 hours, and 300 hours (for primary, secondary, and minimum respectively). Did anyone manage to save a copy of the web page with the chart? I wonder if the runtime of the B42 and U42 used to be better before the 42XR models were released.

I'd somehow feel cheated if my B42 didn't run for 80 minutes on max with a Duracell. Then again, I've never tried and I probably never will. I've used li-ions in it since the third week I've owned it, and never looked back. The cell goes on the charger once a week, whether it needs it or not. I've got a pair that I keep in rotation, and I carry a couple disposables for backup.

Yes, it will be very nice when the optional battery packs come out. I'm waiting for the 18650 tube myself. It seems that it's a long wait for anything to come out of HDS. :( Good thing it usually turns out to be well worth the wait. :)

turbodog

Flashaholic
FYI, here's the data I collected.

u60
level 2
68 minutes

u60
level 1
24 minutes

42xr
53 minutes

These times were recorded with a 750 mah li-ion cell and a controlled temp of about 90F.