Help needed from candleforum guru's

joshivic

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I own Nuwai Q3 for work, it is plenty of light for me but I constantly run out of batteries and it is getting expensive to replace these 123 batteries and very easly found.

Now I am looking for something about the same width as the Nuwai Q3, it could be little more taller if it needs to be, also it would be wonderfull if it is more powerfull light then the Nuwai Q3, but the most important thing would be if it doesnt take the 123 battery, I get free AA or AAA batteries from work, so run times are really not a concern since I get the batteries free.

Thanks

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own one yet (it's on the way...), but from what I'm hearing, get a Fenix L1P. Runs on 1XAA cell for a couple hours, has output in the same ballpark as the QIII, is easily pocketable, and is getting OUTSTANDING reviews from the CPFers who have them!

PJD

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I don't own a QIII (mine got lost in the mail and never got to me) but i read that many have successfully run RCR123s in them, with the benefits of increased brightness. The Fenix's are nice lights and I would get one anyway, but you can certainly also consider going down the rechargeable road. A number of dealers sell RCR123s, though I'd opt for the protected kind.

joshivic

Newly Enlightened
Somy Nex said:
I don't own a QIII (mine got lost in the mail and never got to me) but i read that many have successfully run RCR123s in them, with the benefits of increased brightness. The Fenix's are nice lights and I would get one anyway, but you can certainly also consider going down the rechargeable road. A number of dealers sell RCR123s, though I'd opt for the protected kind.

any links please

joshivic

Newly Enlightened
PJD said:
I don't own one yet (it's on the way...), but from what I'm hearing, get a Fenix L1P. Runs on 1XAA cell for a couple hours, has output in the same ballpark as the QIII, is easily pocketable, and is getting OUTSTANDING reviews from the CPFers who have them!

PJD

it doesnt look as bright as the nuwai q3, anything else?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know your price range, but you could use a rechargeable R123 with either the McGizmo PD or HDS U60, both would be brighter with low settings and longer runtime. :)

In the same price range as the Q3 and tighter beam, runs on AA's, but larger in size, there's the SL Luxeon 4AA http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

Could also do a minimag with a 3watt sandwich from here: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=d3600b94dfcdde38fc79cba7ea5cf4d9

Somy Nex

Enlightened
on a non-rechargeable CR123 (Edit: the QIII that is), the Fenix L1P (or if you can still get those L1's with the upgraded bins from www.lighthound.com), according to www.flashlightreviews.com, starts at about the same output as the QIII, and lasts about as long if not longer to 50% (if you use lithium or rechargeable AAs), on AA batteries. the benefits of the L1 is that it has an ultra-clear lens, excellent heat management, and an aluminum reflector. the L1P model adds HAIII and anti-refletive coating on the lens.

the QIII running on RCR123s will be even brighter than on primary CR123s, and thus brighter than the Fenix. not owning this setup, i can give no further information, save that there are some threads around the forum that discuss it. i'm sure a search will pull something up :)

regarding where to buy AW has a rechargeable battery thread in the Dealer's section, where you can buy a rechargeable CR123 kit from him. Alternatively, you can also purchase from a number of dealers, listed in GreenLED's CPF SPecial's thread also in the Dealer's section. check them out, and pick which is best suited to you. :)

hope this helps & best of luck.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest link to the Rechargable Q3 or Q3R is in my sigline but since you get free double AA batteries the fenix should work fine unless you need a brighter more powerful light, as the Q3R with a new reflector and lens about double the Fenix.

Recharging a couple of 700mAh batteries and maybe modding the tail into a 2-stage for a lo/hi output selections for 4sevens will make one nice bright usefull light though :)

Let us know if you decide to go the Q3 way because it's a great custom modder light and easy to tweak.

Or you can do like we all do and... get both! :)

joshivic

Newly Enlightened
Alrite it got me thinking about the fenix.

I really dont want to trouble myself with recharging batteries really, it is pain and not what I am looking for at all. I just want the best AA Led that is very bright and really dont care if it only lasts 30 minutes, Isn't there a light out there that actually uses 4 AA batteries to give more light then the fenix.

Thanks

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight ProPoly 4AA LUXEON - Excellent light for about $25

It has a bit more output than a FENIX but has a LOT more throw. How will you be using this flashlight? Close distance or far?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want more of a flood beam, there's also a nice Maglite Minimag 2AA upgrade that has good output and you can use a LDF UCL lens from www.flashligtlens.com for a very nice flood type of flashlight. I really like this combo

Here's a link for the drop-in.
TerraLUX TLE-5 MiniStar2 ... 1 watt Luxeon LED replacement bulb for your 2AA Mini-Maglites.
http://www.led-replacement.com/terralux.html

joshivic

Newly Enlightened
Alrite I work for local cable company.

I use 1 million candle power huge flashlight generally when I am trying to read house numbers when driving or If I am working outside in the dark and need plenty of light to see what I am doing.

I use my Nuwai Q3 inside majority of the time to work in all kind of conditions, underneath trailers, in house attics, dark rooms, behind furniture where lighting is not sufficient, I need plenty of light.

Most of the time I find the Nuwai Q3 good enough but it wont hurt to have little more light without the hassle of 123 batteries which I dont really enjoy using, since I go through them like candy. I actually hate using my flashlight because of this. someone else recommended modding the nuwai q3 and using rechargable 123 batteries but then I read other users who posted mix results with one post even mentioning the battery blew up. I just dont want any extra headaches.

About modding the Nuwai q3 to accept two 123 batteries and better something else i forgot, I dont know where I could buy the complete kit, how hard it is to accompish this, what tools are required, u get the picture. My major concern is rechargable 123 batteries, how safe and their performace and if there is a mobile 123 battery charger that I can use in my truck.

Thank you.

joshivic

Newly Enlightened
CromagNet said:
OIC

Then you need one of the chinese multi LED lights on eBay. Here's the perfect light for you.

EBAY 100-LED FLASHLIGHT

no, can't really carry with the limited space I have in the tool belt, flash light could be little more wider then the nuwai q3 but could be another 1 inch taller with no problems.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH, and about the Q3R... the battery shouldn't blow up if it is a full protected version like discussed the thread linked in my sigline. I think some chargers come with cigarette lighter adaptors to charge in your truck. I'll have a look. If the Q3 is not bright enough by a little then the rechargable way should work well, but if it's not bright enough at all, since you use 1-million candlepower lights at work (Many of us here have 15m to 35m+ candlepower flashlights here) :grin:
Here's a picture of a few of use goofin' around at my place :)
cpffrontlawn4kj.jpg

I would say then maybe you wont be happy with the Q3R even though it's a real scorcher :)

PS I haven't tried the 100-LED flashlight yet but I have a 12-LED with one of those rechargable batteries and it is very bright. I bet that the 100 LED would be very bright with 4AA batteries.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
DOH! maybe the Streamlight will do it for you it it's not too big. It's a great light and I can't think of another AA light that would do better at this time. It's kinda late and I'm sleepy
icon39.gif

joshivic said:
no, can't really carry with the limited space I have in the tool belt, flash light could be little more wider then the nuwai q3 but could be another 1 inch taller with no problems.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and here's a link to the CR123A charger and rechargable Lithium Ion batteries.
It's a link that we use to get a special CPF price Battery Station CPF page

or you can try AW's link HERE I think AW has newer advanced protected batteries and chargers.

Have a look :)

Hope it helps.