Most throw from 2x123?

NFW

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a LED light to replace my Streamlight TL-2. Something with a similar size and similar throw - but flood doesn't really matter. What's the closest thing so far?

I'm perfectly willing to give up flood for throw, but it seems like all of the 5W lights sacrifice throw for flood, and nothing really comes close to incandescent. Am I overlooking anything? I'm hoping to spend less than $100 but could go a little over.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened
My 1C m@g gives 10k+ lux... it runs off 2/ 123a...thats my vote anyway...

m@g US$30
o-sink $10
3w LED $10-30
UCL less than $10

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's out of the price range you indicated, but if I'm not mistaken, just about the best throw you'll see in a true 2X123 size light would be out of an Aleph III. I don't own or haven't seen one, but from what I hear, it'll just about SMOKE all the others. For what you need, it might be worth spending the extra $$, or saving a little longer for. An Aleph III with a DB917 driving a TWOJ is supposed to be an absolute THROW-MONSTER!

PJD

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yuppers. I own that light, and it's pretty much the throw king of my collection (at that size anyway). If you watch the BST forums I bet you can find one for a pretty decent price..

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican M6 LED is a good light, not too expensive, with very good throw. I have a Nuwai TM115 2x123 that has a tighter spot and better throw, but except for spotting things at long distance the Pelican has a more useable beam.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I forgot to add- I also have the first generation of Streamlight TL-2 and note that there is a big difference between it and the Pelican. The Pelican makes the TL-2 look pretty pathetic. I understand that the redesigned TL-2 is much better, probably equal to or better than the Pelican, but it is more expensive also.

Robban

Enlightened
5W lights aren't "sacrificing throw for flood". It's just that a 5W is harder to focus down to a tight beam due to its larger die size.

That's what I've learned from reading posts here atleast.

taiji

Enlightened
joema said:
The Striker-VG is the farthest throwing LED light ever tested by Flashlightreviews.com. It's a 2x123. Don't know how it compares to the Aleph:

I have both and can tell you that the A3 definitely stomps the Striker in the throw dept. The Striker however is no slouch either as it easily out throws the Inova T3 / XO3 / T4. The Striker is my farthest throwing production
2 x 123's. Quickbeam's review has it out throwing a Ledbeam 3c.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say that my LEDBeam has almost as much throw as a custom Lux III with a Mag reflector. From looking at Quickbeam's chart, I'd guess something like a direct driven T-bin with a Mag reflector would be about 7000 on his chart.

And I REALLY REALLY want an Aleph III but that will have to wait several months. It has been considered the king of small LED throw lights for quite some time now.

Having said, the Striker looks VERY impressive indeed. When they get their switching issues remedied, it might be a great option. I think there is currently a pass around going with this light if you care to check it out.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you want very good throw in a very small package go for a ligth with a LuxIII and a 27mm reflector driven at approx 1000mA ... for the size factor it is amazing. Has a big (but somewhat dim) corona and a needle-like hotspot.
Lights that fit that description on 2x123 would be: Pelican M6 LED (cheap), Aleph1, McLux-PR, Gladius

If you don't mind a bigger head on a 2x123 body the Aleph3 is indeed a throw monster in the same configuration as mentioned above ... LuxIII at 1000mA.

Still a bit bigger would be the HD45 (also by McGizmo) ...

I can provide some pics for reference:

Aleph1 head on Aleph 2x123 body (the longer light):
Aleph1Series.jpg

Aleph3 on SF E2e:
Aleph3NAT.jpg

HD45:
HD45small.jpg

Comparison:
HD-LineUp.jpg

SF L4 - Pelican M6 - HD45 - Aleph3

The Aleph parts are all SF E-Series compatible and freely interchangeable, meaning you can mount them on an E2e for example. The HD45 is stand-alone and the PM6, too.

Some beamshots:

SF E2D:
realte2d.jpg

Aleph1 T-bin LuxIII at 917mA:
relux327.jpg

Aleph3 with the same LED and driver:
relux338.jpg

Other beamshot-set ... outdoors, with the SF A2 as reference:

OutdoorA2.jpg

Aleph1 TW0K 1000mA:
OutdoorAleph11000mATW0K.jpg

Aleph3 750mA TY0J:
OutdoorAleph3750mATY0Y.jpg

HD45:
OutdoorHD45-3high.jpg

Note: the HD45 uses an U-bin which has an advantage over the other lights with a T-bin LuxIII.

The HD45 is a two-stage light, the Alephs can be used with the Aleph 2-stage switch to make them 2-stage. The PM6 is one-stage.

bernie

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 4W Candle Power Forums, Numbered, Limited Edition 4 Watt Multi-Level light in the Group buy section is supposed to have very nice throw. And for about $66 including shipping it's a bargain.
It can also use a 18650 Li-ion cell instead of the 2 cr123s if you want a rechargeable light.
Most other lights suggested here are, very very nice, but a lot more expensive than the $100 limit you mentioned.

Sverre

Mike abcd

Enlightened
NoFair said:
I think the 4W Candle Power Forums, Numbered, Limited Edition 4 Watt Multi-Level light in the Group buy section is supposed to have very nice throw. And for about $66 including shipping it's a bargain.
It can also use a 18650 Li-ion cell instead of the 2 cr123s if you want a rechargeable light.
Most other lights suggested here are, very very nice, but a lot more expensive than the $100 limit you mentioned.

Sverre

I've got the VB-16 3.5W gen 2 version of that light from Wai On and like it a lot. On 2 x CR123, it's a bit brighter and even has more throw than the SL PP 4AA Lux. I really like the multiple levels a LOT. On 2 primaries, it should run 40+ hours on low.

I think both the CPF 4W and VB-16 3.5W are overdriven but then again, so is the SL PP 4AA Lux.

Mike

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, there is the KL3 on 6p, or PM6 3w... the KL3 throws further, but not by much.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
bjn70 said:
Oh, I forgot to add- I also have the first generation of Streamlight TL-2 and note that there is a big difference between it and the Pelican. The Pelican makes the TL-2 look pretty pathetic. I understand that the redesigned TL-2 is much better, probably equal to or better than the Pelican, but it is more expensive also.

Which Pelican?

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW.... Keisling, your PM6 3w is a older one I think. I have a older and new PM6 3W, and the HA3 quality is a lot better on the new one.

-David

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
HammerSandwich said:
Screw pocket carry! For $100, you can buy 4 Ledbeam 3Cs and a roll of duct tape.

Duct tape is for ducts.
Go with gaffers tape. No residue, tons of colors AND (drum roll) it is available in versions that glow.

NFW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information, everyone.
I can't believe I just spent $160 on a light... but there's an Aleph 1 heading my way.