New Nichia LEDs

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read somewhere about the new (well, they were new a few months ago) 5mm white LEDs from Nichia that output about double the brightness of standard LEDs at the same power consumption.

I have a few LED flashlights (mostly supercheap taiwanese/chinese held-together-with-chewing-gum models... eh, they make light and that's good for me) which I'd love to refit with those new LEDs. I have a thing about efficiency, and wasting power because of standard inefficient LEDs is something I'd love to avoid. A flashlight that falls apart if you so much as look at it, I can take (hurray for duct tape). One that wastes energy, no.

The problem is that I only ever get blank stares when I mention those LEDs to people in electronic shops around here.
Is there a model number, or something I can use to search for the LEDs?
Also: how much can I expect to spend for each one? I'm thinking about refitting all the flashlights, but if it turns out they are too expensive I'll probably avoid doing it with the 12 led one.

paulr

Flashaholic
There have been a few groups buys for them. They are about 80 cents each. That's about 10x as expensive as generic Hong Kong leds but if you just want a few of them, they're affordable enough. Look in the group buy forum for Nichia CS leds.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm looking for Nichia CS.
Thanks!
They'll probably rip me off at the local store (provided they can order them at all), but since I'm not buying more than, oh, 15 or so of them I don't really mind.

paulr

Flashaholic
I doubt your local store can order them for you. See if there's a group buy open, and if not, wait for the next one. You could also try the Snow29 leds (not QUITE as bright as the Nichias, but more neutral color) or the 35k's from KevinL.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm thinking there is a store around here that seems to have all the electronic paraphernalia one could wish for. I haven't asked for them there yet because they always have an unbelievable line of people waiting to be served, and I'm allergic to lines. If there's one store that has them, it's that one. If they don't, I'll try the group buys.
Thanks!

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
Fallingwater said:
Well, I'm thinking there is a store around here that seems to have all the electronic paraphernalia one could wish for. I haven't asked for them there yet because they always have an unbelievable line of people waiting to be served, and I'm allergic to lines. If there's one store that has them, it's that one. If they don't, I'll try the group buys.
Thanks!

PM me if you want some -- but they are getting used up fast :)

Piers

Latest posts