any way to squeze more than 1 amp out of a downboy?

trivergata

Enlightened
I'm wanting to build an Aleph3, LuxIII red/orange, 2X123 setup, and would like to run the emmiter at the max. rated of 1400ma. Is there any way to get this much from a Downboy? The resistor calc only seems to show up to 1000ma.
Josh

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking the same thing a few days ago about the downboy and hunted around the Sandwich Shoppe postings in Manufacturer's Corner.

This thread covers it.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Just need to stack the 3rd resistor on one of the other two.

DB1500 = .1, .1, .1
DB1417 = .1, .1, .12
DB1333 = .1, .1, .15

I've bulit DB1500s, DB1333s, DB1250s, DB1194s, and like Freddy with no problems. In McLux PR heads they can get kinda toasty if left on for a while.

At 1.2A and higher, I can't tell if they're really any brighter with the naked eye.

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Or simply get the correct valued resistor and a blank DB from Shoppe, then solder the two resistors onto the empty slots:

The easiest way is simply to check with Kj's sense resistor calculator:
http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/resistor.php

0.10 ohm, 0.05 ohm, which equals 1500.0 mA (0.0%) *
0.27 ohm, 0.05 ohm, which equals 1185.2 mA (-1.2%) *

But I totally agree with DarkZero about the diminishing return, and like I have said many times in my DRG for Minimag modding, once you cross a certain balancing point, then the visual output and runtime is rapidly becoming disproportionate(true for BBNG with alkaline or Nimh).

I would humbly suggest to fish around for the beamshot comparison between the high drive current mod and consider whether the tradeoff is worth while.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
AuroraLite said:
Or simply get the correct valued resistor and a blank DB from Shoppe, then solder the two resistors onto the empty slots

I must have not searched that section of the Shoppe for a while. Never had .5ohm resistors for sale back when. :ohgeez:
I've always been stacking them.