Makeshift tail switch protector (Surefire A2)

oregonshooter

Enlightened
New guy here.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a cool solution to packing Surefire lights in their pockets without having the PB actuated?

I carry mine in my front jeans pocket and would like to have it ready to used with something to protect the button from accidental bumps, but don't want to twist the lockout cap all the way out.

a2_cap_off.jpg

a2_cap_on.jpg

I made this makeshift cap shown above from a chair leg cap, but was hoping someone had a better method. I have access to a full machine shop, so I will likely make something, but nothing innovative is coming to mind.

Any suggestions?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could cut threads in the tailcap on the "flange" just ahead of the button, then make a tube that would thread on, same OD as the light body. Or you could just turn down the back of the cap and glue a tube on. If the tube extended just past the button, it would both protect the button and alow "tailstanding" of the light. McGizmo "S" tailcaps protect the button in the same way.

Scott

jtice

Flashaholic
Nice cord wrapping there,
did you use the typical way that they wrap knife handles?

oh, BTW, Welcome to CPF ! :D

~John

AuroraLite

Enlightened
For that, I actually put on an oversize large spacer which fits perfectly around the switch and the OD is identical to the body. The coolest part is it actually allow it to stand. If you could locate the similar kind of spacer/oring, I think it could be a neat idea to do so.

I will post up some pictures for my make-shift self made bezel protector and the 'standing' tailcap guard in the morning, if anyone is interested. :)

Last edited:

oregonshooter

Enlightened
leukos,
I like that idea.

I found the Macgizmo heads at the sandwich shop store, but from what I can tell those caps only fit the E series? The A2 is not the same Dia. is it?

jtice,
It's normal cord wrapping with a blood knot. It can be adjusted for gloves if you want, I just use one finger with gloves on instead of two. Makes for the best way to carry with a gun and doing malfunction drills.

AuroraLite,
I can't "see" what you are talking about. Please do post a pic. Thanks!

Thanks for the help peeps!

AuroraLite

Enlightened
oregonshooter,

As per requested--

These two pictures above shown how I use heat-shrink wrap to make a tight bezel protector for my A2, similar to the Minimag bezel protector in idea. I also used reflective black tape and eletrical tape(underneath the reflective tape) to wrap over where the protector ends, to prevent it to slide out accidentally.

Above is the 'standing tailguard' which I made with a over-size rubber spacer, again, I use the reflective tape to secure it to the end of the body.

Finally, how the whole thing looks together. :)

Oh, btw, oregonshooter, welcome to CPF! :wave:

Latest posts