used to be a dorcy.......(lots-o-pics)

trivergata

Enlightened
I decided to work on a dorcy 1 watt to make it more suitable for my needs, and here's what I came up with;
assembled:

I wanted to use a scope ring to mount it to my Mossberg 590, so I milled out an area to fit it. Here it is without the ring (I know the lathe work is rough, but I did it by clamping it on my wood lathe, so all and all, it's not too bad. The work on the head was just for fun):

exploded view:

I used an old Q3 board that was laying around, cut out the bottom of the "light engine" resistor holder to use as a spacer, and mounted a Lux3 red/orange to the original heatsinc:

The switch is a pigtail pressure switch I had laying around, and built a drop in which can be replaced with the original reverse-clickie (bonus points for anyone who recognizes the white piece I used to house the switch):

And, of course, the beam shots, first alone at 3':

and compared to my HDSU60 on high at 3':

This thing can almost out-throw my HDS, and it's PAINFUL to look at - no up close work with this one! I'd love to replace the stock heatsinc (if you can call it that) as well as the spacer with a 1 piece aluminum cylinder, but I don't have the tools to turn it - maybe someday.

Not too shabby for a $16 light, $12 LED and a bunch of old parts!
Josh

trivergata

Enlightened
pretty close - it's out of a stinger that met it's end under a firetruck.

it's loss is my gain - one of those parts that I thought would come in handy someday - just had to keep it for about 3 years..........

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you isolate the star from negative, as it's connected to the postive bond wire of the luxeon and can melt/fuese open if it touches negtavie.

So you're using a 4.5v in from the batterires AND a boost circuit?

trivergata

Enlightened
I already isolated it - learned that one the hard way.

I figured as well as the Q3's run on R123's, I should be ok. I have gotten some really weird numbers across my V/A meter, though. 275ma? Doesn't seem right to me, but then again I just built a DB900 and my meter says it's only drawing 350ma or so - maybe my meter is jacked up.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the downboy, if you read the battery draw, it will be less than what the luxeon is receiving since it is taking a higher voltage and stepping it down.

I know DD 3xAA NiMH or alkaline is pretty close to full power with a R/O. I have no idea what the circuit will cause it to do. It may even be a current limiter... best to measure current right at the LED.