My SMJLED Solitaire mod, step-by-step, runshots

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I begin with the details of this mod, I would like to give you a bit of background.

Over Thanksgiving, my brother-in-law gave me a Solitaire that he received as a freebie with some purchase. Now having achieved flashlight-guru-of-the-family status, I thought I would improve it and give it back to him at Christmas.

I searched the CPF threads and found various 3 and 5 mm LED mods that looked easy enough, and began playing around with any 5 mm I could get my hands on. These were stock keychain light LED's, dual-cores, 35K, and Nichias. All of these performed reasonably well, but not overly impressive. They provided performance comparable to the same emitter in a keychain light, just in a Solitaire body. None seemed to benefit much from the Solitaire reflector.

I also thought about purchasing a drop-in Lux pill, and these have been offerred by Arcmania, Lambda, and LED_ASAP. The latter was kind enough to provide me with information about the different options for a custom build, and I'm sure my efforts here do not compare to a professional mod. But I wanted to be able to say "I did it", and with such a pill I wouldn't be able to do so in honesty. It is however, a fail-proof alternative if I am not satisfied.

Along comes Lambda's SMJLED. What is unique about this LED (aside from the awesome output and efficiency) is that it is shorter from lens to base. This is particularly beneficial in the Solitaire where the interior space in the head is limited. It also takes advantage of a reflector whether in a MM or this Solitaire.

For power, I used an Energizer A23 12 V ($1.99 for a 2 pack at Meijer's). It has a form similar to an N cell, or a shortened AAA. Some of the threads I searched mentioned that it was possible to direct drive a 5 mm LED off this cell due to the internal resistance. But when I bench-tested this with a stock keychain LED, it fried in a matter of seconds. The next attempt was to add a 10 ohm resistor in series with the cell, and again the LED fried, albeit a bit slower. I proceeded with 15 ohms and simply prolonged the agony of the sacrificial emitter. Finally I used 2 resitors in series for 20 ohms, and the LED burned bright without frying. That is what has remained as the power.

Disclaimer: This is my first light mod tutorial, my first attempts at beamshots, and by far the most words I have thrown at you in a single post. Please bear with me, I'm trying my best. One difficulty I had was trying to get my camera (Olympus Camedia C2000 Z) to do things I never asked of it before, namely extreme close-ups, and a set shutter speed and aperture. I could set one, but not both. I could only do so indirectly with "exposure compensation", but the resolution of the compensation was not adequate to access all stops. In short I am trying to persuade you to believe it's the camera's fault.

If you are trying this at home, please bear in mind that we all have different skills, equipment, and sizes of pen collections, so instead of trying to duplicate my means, focus on achieving my ends which are:

- Modifying the reflector/switch to clear the larger emitter and activate the switch mechanism without loading the LED. The importance of this cannot be overstressed if you want a reliable light. Any attempts to use the LED shoulder as a loading point for the base of the reflector as it pushes the switch in will soon be met with a sickening "snap" and a broken LED. This will inevitably happen well before you change the first cell, maybe a couple dozen cycles. The spindly little legs of the LED just weren't meant to take the complex torsion and thrust of the switching action, and you have already cold-worked them by bending them to fit the socket - they will fatigue rapidly.
If you try this mod with a standard 5 mm LED, you will find that the greater length of the LED poses another concern: the head will contact the lens of the LED when the head is tightened down. It may seem like you are not loading the LED since you have filed off the shoulder, but you still are. Though the torque acted upon it will be less due to the point contact, the thrust will still stress the legs as they have been angled and the socket is straight. The socket will begin to wear as well and contacts will suffer. You will need to precisely shim the switch to avoid this lens to LED contact by tailoring the length of the fabricated pen collar. Other solutions I have seen are going lensless, or drilling a hole in the lens to clear the LED, but I prefer my lights not to double as lint traps.
If you absolutely, positively must use the shoulder of the LED to bear the switch load at least weaken the tailcap spring to lessen the forces.

- Using an appropriate cell to drive the emitter. I chose the A23 simply because it looked like it had a larger capacity than 3 button cells. You will see how I made a spacer to compensate for the shorter cell length and incorporate the resistors. I also tested 3 alkaline button cells, and if this is your choice, I would recommend finding similar size lithium cells. No resistors are necessary.

Now for the details:

This first picture shows the various components that comprise the mod. In this picture I have already done the following:

- Filed off the shoulder at the base of the SMJLED. Do this by gently grasping the legs, and moving the LED relative to a file (I used the wife's diamond nail file). Try to avoid scratching the rest of the LED, especially the lens - the sides are not as important. Canting the LED lens-up as you file helps minimize scratching. When you are done, the LED should have a uniform diameter and no shoulder or ridge.

- Enlarged the reflector clearance hole. To do this you will need to remove the reflector from the head - by far the most time-consuming and frustrating part of the entire mod. Finesse is the key. I used a hobby knife and individually pricked and pried back each retaining tab while applying gentle pressure to the outside of the lens. There is no secret here other than patience and persistence. You will win, just keep at it. Once you have it removed, enlarge the hole until the LED fits inside loosely. I used a round diamond file, and did it by hand. I would advise against using any power tools as the reflector is quite delicate. I thought the entire neck of the reflector would eventually be gone, but there was still a 0.005" wall thickness when I was satisfied with the fit. This is beneficial if you can duplicate this; it keeps things concentric and axial. Be careful when handling and cleaning; the coating will flake if flexed, and scratch easily if rubbed.

- Cut a piece off the body of the upper Bic click pen to serve as the shell for the spacer/resistor. Note that if you then cut the ink tube by the same amount, you can reassemble the pen and no one will know. Also pictured are two 10 ohm resistors soldered and bent to fit inside the shell, and the end caps. I made those by prying them off a spent AA cell, trimmed the OD, and drilled a small hole in the "negative" one.
An AAA cell would have made more sense, but my wife is now wondering where I finally found the motivation to change the battery in that clock. The important points here are to make sure the resistor leads don't short inside the shell, and that the finished length of the spacer in near 0.65" - the difference between an AAA and the A23.

- Found another pen that has a very specific tube size (fits over reflector neck and fits inside the aluminum Solitaire body to activate switch). That pen is the lower one in the picture, and the portion that I'll use is 0.90" of the shank of the nose that fits into the body. This piece will be the reinforcement/extension of the reflector neck which is now quite weak. It is this piece that will bear the load of the switch between the switch plate and the reflector. Again, simply reassemble the pen and recycle it. Brute force used to cut this piece with a utility knife will crack the plastic, I rolled it along a table and successively scored it deeper until it lost. Then I filed the ends flat.
parts8uj.jpg

This next picture shows the spacer in progress. I have soldered one of the resistor leads to the inside of the (+) cap. The plastic tube will fit over the top, then the (-) cap will slide over the resistor lead and be soldered to it. The plastic melts a bit when you do this, but nothing major.
cellspacer3he.jpg

Next is a shot of the finished spacer with shrink tubing to keep it tight, the finished reflector and plastic collar (nice friction fit), and the SMJLED with trimmed and shaped legs. The plastic collar is 0.280" OD, 0.218" ID, and 0.090" long. With this particular length of collar, the light turns off 0.040" before the head bottoms out against the body. If you do this mod with a 5 mm LED, then the collar should be longer so the lens doesn't hit the LED. My best eyeball estimate is a 0.180" long collar for use with a conventional 5 mm LED (with shoulder filed off).
coreparts7ty.jpg

Finally a shot of the finished and assembled head. Before snapping the reflector back into the head, gently bend the tabs outward so they will engage the retaining groove.
done0rz.jpg

When I first turned the light on, I was ecstatic. It put out more light and a better beam than my Arc AAA-P. I wanted it to come on in focus, and with this length of the reflector collar, and a bit of push-pull experimenting with the SMJLED position relative to the socket, I achieved that.

Then I got to thinking about the runtime. I have very limited means of quantitatively evaluating lights, so I decided to try side-by-side runshots against the Arc AAA-P.

The Arc was powered by a Rayovac Max + starting at 1.61V, the Solitaire a fresh A23 at 12.89 V. The lights are 13" from the wall.

Right out of the gate, SMJLED on left: (white balance at auto, F 4.5, 1/4 sec)
a23arc0min8zx.jpg

After 5 minutes: (same camera settings)
a23arc5min4pp.jpg

After 10 minutes: (same settings)
a23arc10min9gs.jpg

After 15 minutes: (same settings)
a23arc15min5rv.jpg

After 20 minutes: (same settings, I think)
a23arc20min3sy.jpg

Obviously the Arc has the stamina, and the Solitaire fades fast. Voltage measured after the run was 1.41 V for the Arc, and 8.28 V for the Solitaire. Then I had the bright idea to compare the tired SMJ Solitare to a stock Solitaire. The stock Solitaire has the Rayovac pulled out of the Arc, and the SMJ has the same A23: (Camera resists, goes to F 3.2, 1/4 sec. Also note that I focused the stock Solitaire to maximize the hotspot)
20mina23stock3vv.jpg

I felt better when I did that comparison, as the original intent was to improve the Solitaire, not beat the Arc.
Next I tried 3 LR41 alkaline button cells for power. I shrink tubed a trio, and made a spacer out of the shank of an aluminum gutter nail, some nylon tubing, and some goop to hold it together.
lr41cells0nf.jpg

I chose these particular cells simply because I had them on hand. If I were serious about implementing them I would find a similar size lithium cell. Here is where my camera really fights me, and along with some errors on my part, I'll skip the embarassment and just tell you that the A23 starts out brighter, and the LR41's maintain that gap until the 15 min. mark, then they fade even faster than the A23.

Here is the most telling shot from that run. This a comparison between the stock Solitaire and the tired 3 X LR41 SMJ on the left: (camera knows best - F 4, 1/3 sec, AAA @ 1.45 V, 3 X LR41 @ 3.98 V)
20minlr41stock6oa.jpg

Even with the 3 tiny LR41's after a 20 minute continous run, the SMJLED mod still outperforms the stock Solitaire.

Cost of this mod: Solitaire - $6.00, SMJLED - $7.00, 2 resistors - $0.40, pens - (_________). I'll spare you the cliche.

FYI the reflector collar is from an NPC pen and is available here:
http://www.pens.com/pens/Products3.aspx?prod=CLR&cat=&by=1
I think you can call for a free sample.

Coming soon will be what I sincerely believe will make this SMJLED Solitaire an Arc AAA-P beater - a 10440 Li-ion cell and charger (and another $10). I finally broke down and ordered my first rechargeables with this post being my rationalization. They should be in my hands in a couple weeks, and I will add those runshots to this post. Any bets? My money is on the SMJ.

Stay tuned...

Pathlight

Newly Enlightened
hi, Thanks for your info. I've been interested in moding one for awhile. don't
think much of button batts or the small 12v and don't know what lithiums will fit,except for 1 aaa (1.5-1.7v). also didn't know there would be so much work to mod one; but still want to. I'm amost a failure when soldering. hope to improve.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
LED Zeppelin,

Informative and a good read, it's always great to hear a fellow modder's experience! :thumbsup: :)

Another idea pop into my mind that maybe we could try putting in a lithium rechargable with an appropriate resistor to make this work? But I think the only concern is the rechargable li-ion probably is not protected and it could be a safety issue for non-flashaholics to use.

Btw, not to hijack the thread--I don't have a dorcy AAA light, but does anyone know that is it possible to transplant the board from that light to the solitaire and work with the SMJ/MJ led?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pathlight,

The cell I am waiting to test is a rechargeable Li-ion, not the lithium AAA you are thinking of. In fact an AAA lithium primary won't provide the voltage required to light the LED.

However, the 10440 I mentioned is physically interchangeable with an AAA, but provides a voltage in the mid 3's. With this cell, you wouldn't need to solder anything, just do the head mod/SMJLED install, and drop in the 10440 direct drive with no cell spacer or resistor - much easier, better, and environmentally friendly.

The only precaution is that you don't want the cell to become overdischarged. This size Li-ion cell is not available "protected" (from overdischarge damage by internal circuits), so you will ruin it if you run it much past the visible dimming of the light, or about 2.6 volts.

Another intrinsic benefit to the Li-ions is the flat discharge curve. The light will not dim proportionately with runtime. It will behave almost as if it is regulated. This is a good thing in a direct drive light.

It almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about, but it's just what I have gathered from the thread search function and much appreciated input from CPF friends.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
AuroraLite said:
Btw, not to hijack the thread--I don't have a dorcy AAA light, but does anyone know that is it possible to transplant the board from that light to the solitaire and work with the SMJ/MJ led?

AuroraLite,

Here's a thread I ran across with the Dorcy guts/Solitaire mod. I'm pretty sure it would apply to the SMJLED as well.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97078&highlight=solitaire

AuroraLite

Enlightened
LED Zeppelin said:
However, the 10440 I mentioned is physically interchangeable with an AAA, but provides a voltage in the mid 3's. With this cell, you wouldn't need to solder anything, just do the head mod/SMJLED install, and drop in the 10440 direct drive with no cell spacer or resistor - much easier, better, and environmentally friendly.

The only precaution is that you don't want the cell to become overdischarged. This size Li-ion cell is not available "protected" (from overdischarge damage by internal circuits), so you will ruin it if you run it much past the visible dimming of the light, or about 2.6 volts.

Another intrinsic benefit to the Li-ions is the flat discharge curve. The light will not dim proportionately with runtime. It will behave almost as if it is regulated. This is a good thing in a direct drive light.

It almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about, but it's just what I have gathered from the thread search function and much appreciated input from CPF friends.

LED Zeppelin,

Thanks for the link, I shall look into it and maybe make one when I have time after the Hotwire MM kits. :)

For the SMJ, based on what Lambda has discussed, I think it has a even lower Voltage forward than the original MJ leds, which should be around or less than 3.2V(he warned the user not to use 2 L91 Engerzier lithium fresh batteries (1.7v max each)).

So do be very careful--at 4.2 off charger(3.6V nominal), the li-ion AAA directly-drivewill fried it for sure. :huh: And I would friendly recommend to consider using an appropriate resistor for this occasion:

Assuming on a safer side, the volt drop across SMJ is 3V, and the a fully charged Li-ion AAA is 4.2V; also 100ma is going thru the resistor(SMJ):

Then the V dropped across the resistor should be:

V = IR
(1.2V) = (0.1A)*R
R = 12 ohm.

So I would recommend trying to put in a 12 ohm (or a 10 ohm if you want it slightly brighter) just in case. :)

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
AuroraLite,

Thank you for the insight, I think you just saved me...$7.
I will proceed with caution when I first try the 10440. For the good of the many, I may have to offer an SMJLED as a sacrifice to the flashlight Gods, but I will start with a resistor (12 ohms if I can find one) and slowly decrease the resistance.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Very interesting mod here, and thanks for sharing the details. Resistored DD Solitaire mods has been described many times here, but your writing is IMO the most interesting one.

Be very careful when setting up your Li-Ion mod---When I made a DD Lux-III Li-Ion mod a while ago, the starting current was a wopping 1.3A. It will make a FLASH SMJLED light without a good resistor. If you want a light with respectable service life, you should limit the current through the LED to within 100mA at all times. A 12ohm resistor is a good choice---you can go with 15-20ohm without notable dimming, and quite a lot gaining in runtime.

Also, please arrange a fuse in the circuit---a thin copper wire in a spacer is good enough---just in case you short things out accidentally.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_ASAP,

Thank you for your knowledgeable input.

It is now dawning on me that my initial intention of driving the SMJLED without a resistor was foolhardy. I will definitely incorporate a resistor and try to rig a fuse. I'll see if I can adapt an actual rated fuse for protection. I didn't know the Li-ions could supply that level of current.

I also had the idea of installing a micro potentiometer in the tail to be able to adjust the brightness. Something with a range of 10-30 ohms or so, and a shaft that would stick out the tail. I'm probably dreaming here, but if such a device exists I think I could get it to work. I'll have to do some searching to see what is available. Does anyone know of such a micro pot?

Wong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks LED Zeppelin and Auroralite and all :) :twothumbs:

With the clear info and instructions it really make thing easier and I just finish my Solitaire SMJLED mod :) I run it with N size Lion 10280 with 12ohm resistor and it working nice :)

SMJ.JPG

SMJ1.JPG

SMJ2.JPG

SMJ3.JPG

I compare beam shot with Nihcia drive with LionAAA ( Nihcia on left )( 2 feet from wall )
SMJbeam.JPG

@@@@little update@@@@

I make another 2 resistor in 10ohm and 7.5ohm and the 7.5ohm working good and look brighter to my naked eye and draw about 80+mA ( according to my meter ) ( All resistor I use are .5watt 5% )

mjBEAM.JPG

left=SMJLED N lion and 7.5ohm resistor , right=Nichia DD lion AAA

Happy holiday to all

Best regards
Wong

Last edited:

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
KUDOS LED Z!!! Nice mod. Those solitaires are a real pain in the arse to mod. I tried to do a few of these myself, but I had trouble with the twisty switch, and using Li-ion, i couldent fit in the needed resistor.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I wanted to show an alternative to the stock switch. I had a SMALL momentary pushbutton from some old equipment. I drilled and bored out the tailcap. I removed the whole part of the original switching parts. and installed 3 33kmcd LEDs , filed down the sides so they all would fit, and soldered 3 VERY small resistors to the LEDs that make contact with the battery. total current draw off a fresh AAA Li-ION is about 60(ish)mA, about 20 to each. Granted it is only momentary, but this is one of my 3 EDC's, and each tool has its own purpose.

im0047456ci.jpg

im0047469df.jpg

im0047474ts.jpg

im0047486ja.jpg

Jeff

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
All look like good options.

While I haven't done so in a solitaire yet, two of my favorite 'around the house lights' are either the Nichia CS led or the Peak Snow 29 LED in a minimag clone on direct a single 14500 LiON cell. Not sure how long the Snow 29 LED will last, but I have several charges on the CS and it is as bright as a brand new one. I haven't done a continuous runtime test but suffice it to say, a LONG time! many hours... 20... 30... something like that. Probably quite a bit more.

Here's what I do: I lightly sand the LED over the front 1/2 of the side and all of the front. Then I drill out and sputter the reflector. This results in a beam that is about 80% hotspot and 20% of 'bright enough' sidespill. To call it super smooth would be an understatement. On the 14500 cell, the CS is still a bit brighter than the Snow 29... I'd probably guess 8-10 Lumens on the Snow 29 and 10-12 Lumens on the CS. Its more than enough light for almost all indoor 'night time' light requirements.

I think this would do quite nicely in a solitaire and I have the LiON cells to try it with, just need to buy a solitaire and get to drilling and sputtering.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I bought my first Solitaire today to mod with a Snow29 LED and a LiON cell... MAN is that reflector a pain to get out! I got too frustrated for this evening so I popped in one of the Ray-O-Vac T3 bulbs intended to be run on 3xAAA cells and put it on the LiON cell... A bit brighter than a standard 2xAA Minimag. Still kinda pathetic... crappy beam, less than stellar output. Eventually I'll get the reflector out. Honestly though, for those guys that mod a lot of Solitaires, is there a secret? I think if I had several of them to mod, I'd just kill the reflector with a drill or something and order new ones.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wong, that's exactly what I have in mind when my Li-ions show up. Nice work! It's nice to know that the 12 ohm resistor is proper.

WildRice, your mod is creative and well-crafted too!

Cratz2, you're absolutely right, getting the reflector out is more than half the work and none of the fun. Keep at it, pricking and prying with a hobby knife until you can get a series of them bent back. Then apply gentle pressure to the lens from the outside, and as you pry the others back you'll feel them snap out of the retaining groove.

Thanks for making my effort worthwhile!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally got it out! Opened up the hole and sanded down a B0 bin Nichia CS LED so everything fits. I still need to 'cut down' the end of the LED sort of like the MJLED is cut down to make the overall LED shorter. Right now, everything works as expected but I can't tighten the head quite all the way down because the LED presses against the lens.

I have it running direct on a 10440 cell. If I ever get a couple 10280 cells, I'll do one with an MJLED but the brightness of the CS is very usable and I think the CS on the 10440 should give about 10 times the runtime as the MJLED on the 10280.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cratz2,

Before you sand the Nichia down, try using an appropriate length (about 0.160") collar between the reflector and the switch. Then the lens will be farther out when the light shuts off and give you additional clearance for the LED.

If this collar is too long only a few threads will be engaged and the head may come loose when you turn on the light. I did one with a Nichia and you can get a sweet spot where the threads are comfortable and the lens doesn't hit the LED.

I think if you sand the LED down, you may not get as good a focus.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, the sanding down isn't a fitting issue, it's a diffusion issue. It makes pretty much the entire beam the hotspot... I've been doing this for quite sometime on Minimag mods. Granted, it trades away some throw, but I mostly plan on using this type of mod indoors or in relatively closed in areas where throw isn't really needed... and it technically throws about 35-40 feet but anything within 15 feet or so is plenty well lit.

Here's a shot comparing the sanded down Nichia CS B0 to a stock Minimag:

IMG_2171a.jpg

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cratz2,

I see the effect your sanding the LED had on the beam. My Nichia Solitaire had a hotspot, and beam similar to an Arc AAA-P, which leaves a bit to be desired. The hotspot had different colors of violet and green, and your sanding probably helps the color as well.

Do you wet sand then polish the lens of the LED? Or do you leave it "frosted"?