luxeon 3w voltage help for an idiot!

normski

Newly Enlightened
I really am an electrical numpty, so some gentle guidance please!! I have searched and probably found the answer but it all gets lost in the techy stuff.

I am building a 3 x 3w luxeon bike light. I have a 13.4v 4.2 a/h Nimh pack to power it, I have 3 SYOK bins at the minute. What voltage do I need to run them in series/parallel. What sort of driver/recommendations please. If those luxeons won't work what BIN do I need to go to?

Any other help in idiot speak most appreciated!!! Thanks mark in the UK

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like you got an 11x cell NiMh pack. With that configuration I would recommend you use a george's nFlex and drive these 3x3W SY0K in series.

You'll get a whopping bright & durable light that will last 4hrs+.

normski

Newly Enlightened
George sent me this reply in an email as I thought Nflex looked the right thing:

********************************************************** K binned are marginal to run 3 from 13.2V (nominal 11 pack I assume). If you could source some TxxH you would have a much better setup.

Anyhow, the numbers go like this:

K bin (3.75V - assume worst case) x 3 = 11.25V

Once the nimhs are run down a bit they'll be around 1.1V x 11 = 12.1V.

To drive 1A to the load, nFlex needs close to 2V of input voltage greater than Vf. That means you would need 11.25+2 = 13.25V and you barely have that with the batteries fresh off the charger. So, you either need H bin Luxeons or more batteries in your pack.
does that make sense to you? lost me, would the Nflex work with my setup? and woiuld i wire them in series, any idea what sort of runtime I would get? sorry for all the questions....Mark