what is the brightest 5mm led?

lebox97

Enlightened
there are 22K (nichia and snow) and 35K in groupbuy area? (that work & are reliable)

check for recent posting about some 85-100K ones off ebay that don't appear to have a very good rep (dubious in how the lumens/candlepower are measured and they have reliability issues?)...

Pathlight

Newly Enlightened
I've tried Nichia cs, u bins, which put out around 30K or more @ 30ma. little
blue but good. also tried 35K LCK's. which are as bright (maybe more) but
with smaller spot. they can't be driven as high as Nichias without degrading.
check in the Group buys and passarounds section, on this forum. hope this
helps.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of all the ones I have used I think that the Nichia CS BO is the brightest. It also has a nice blue tint which alot of people seem to like.

I have been modding Solitaires and I was wondering if there was anything brighter than the Nichia CS BO? It has to be the exact same size (snow whites are too big).

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have a bit of a problem here in that what you want is the brightest (Max Lumens) but all the little LEDs are advertised in millicandles, which has more to do with the tightness of the beam than brightness.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken_McE said:
You have a bit of a problem here in that what you want is the brightest (Max Lumens) but all the little LEDs are advertised in millicandles, which has more to do with the tightness of the beam than brightness.

Yep. Which is why my 80kMCD 12deg 10mm LEDs output less than my 26kMDC 23deg 5mm LEDs.

At least according to this helpful converter.

-DF