USPS says light delivered, grandparents say nothing arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navck

Enlightened
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] Your item was delivered at 3:43 pm on December 20, 2005 in LOS ANGELES, CA 90012.
Well this sucks, no light for birthday or Christmas. Is there anyway I can yell at USPS and get my light back within this month? Or they'll try to pass me off a 5 dollar solitare of "same size"?
[/size][/font]

carrot

Flashaholic
Sucks. I've heard problems with tracking info not being completely accurate before. I'd give USPS a call right away, though, to try and see the situation, and maybe get your money.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe there was a glitch in the system. According to tracking, I had something marked as DELIVERED to me last Saturday... I sure didn't get it....

Then yesterday, I got an email from the shipper that it wasn't even shipped until this Monday. :thinking: :wtf:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Look in the bushes near the door or the mailbox. Check with your grandparent's neighbors as well. You could also check with the post office for that zip code and see if they're holding it there due to a "delivery problem".

If you don't have the same last name as your grandparents, a mailman (Deal people, I'm not going to say "letter carrier". Femaleman? :D ) who's had the route a long time and knows your grandparents may have seen the different name and tried to be "helpful" and returned the package, or gave it to someone on the street with the closest name.

Navck

Enlightened
Well I can tell you one part on delivery
They don't live in a house, they live in an "old people" complex. Anyways, the delivery guy usually rings, and the office (Downstairs) accepts, if the mail person doesn't accept, they'll be sent to the specific apartment/resident through the elevator and knock

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Well I can tell you one part on delivery
They don't live in a house, they live in an "old people" complex. Anyways, the delivery guy usually rings, and the office (Downstairs) accepts, if the mail person doesn't accept, they'll be sent to the specific apartment/resident through the elevator and knock

...and of course, it's not at all possible they could be fibbing to you about not receiving it yet so that they can actually give you the light on Christmas, right?

JM-99

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS said the same thing about one of mine recently. It was a passaround light as well, so it scarred me even more so. When they put in on a car for delivery, it is scanned and said to be delivered. It ended up being a day later that I actually got the light. USPS is not that great of a service anymore, or never was....

Cameron

Navck

Enlightened
Problem - They know I'm susposed to recieve this not as a Christmas present but my "extremely late or nothing at all" birthday present... They also know its a complete hassle just to go to LA due to how long it takes to get there. (Lets say 2-3 hours there, one way is reasonable.)

"May I ask if it was a 5 dollar value"
"It was 240 DOLLARS value"
*Headslam to table*
MY LIGHT WAS NOT A SOLITARE.
I'm about to lose my patience with the postal office

Last edited:

Navck

Enlightened
You know, I'm going to retract my comment because the FBI might use that on me for something
Anyways, "1-2 business days"...

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I hate to see a flashaholic that hasn't got his fix! Withdrawl is :hairpull: !
Hope it works out soon for you.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Patience, give it a couple of days; it is the Christmas rush. :)

As bobiscoulous pointed out, "delivery" only means the package was scanned and placed on the mail truck, nothing else. We found that out while tracking down a "lost" light for a passaround.

As mush as you guys complain about USPS, it is a top service. Try sending something down to LatinAmerica :green: If it ever makes it, it'll be late. There was an incident a couple of years back where our mail service (non-US) found a bag of letter that hadn't been delivered for years. They were sitting in a corner of a warehouse...

Another story: a friend sent home some documents (from Brazil); it took 6 days for the docs to arrive to its country of destination, and 41 more days to actually be delivered. And customs wasn't even involved!

USPS is great in my book.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
+1

Don't freak out until Saturday.

I'm sure that places like Sweeden, Japan, and Switzerland have "better" postal services, but when you make a ratio of Volume/Service nobody on earth comes close to the USPS.

Navck

Enlightened
Order placed on 11th, shipped on 14th, "arrival" on 20th, its 22th. (Thats 11 daysish)
This is through insured priority mail. USPS thinks its a "5 dollar light"... Well untill I kinda got mad and yelled over the phone.

Navck

Enlightened
The thing is, this feels like a personal attack as this is my "only" present of the whole year after having a hellish year. So you understand the feeling "your first good flashlight stolen, and its your only present for the whole year."
Claimtimes = Sounds hellish...

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the USPS is not all that bad. The upcoming rate hike will be the first one in decades that I have felt they have deserved.

Off and on, I shipand receive a lot of stuff, and for the last year, I have been overall quite pleased with their performance, and have actually have had more iritation and disappointments with UPS and FedEx, even though 90% of my stuff goes via USPS.

Sure a few glitches, but when you consider how much stuff they move, how illegibly some people write the addresses etc. it is amazing that they get the majority done quickly and correctly.

Compared to the many glitches and delays that I experienced regularly for decades before, I say 2005 was a very positive year for the much maligned United States Postal Service

Status
Not open for further replies.