music services other then Itunes

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately I have been using itunes to purchase music despite the DRM pain in the butt in which I am forced to burn to an audio cd and then ripped back to the hard drive to get rid of the DRM crap. But they don't have all the music I search for, particularly the older music. Any other music services have more older music or are they all the same? God, I so miss the old free Napster in which I found 99 percent of all songs searched for including local music and old abstract music.

carrot

Flashaholic
Free music, less than legal (just like Napster), try Limewire (which runs on the Gnutella network). You could also give Rhapsody (by Real Networks) a shot, which I think offers a free trial, and Napster (the new DRM one) also offers a free trial.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Soulseek, it's a very simple to use, has a easy interface. Its set up with "chatrooms", each room a different genre. 99% music files, not much else.
If I can find bands like Hawkwind, Gong, Zappa, and New Trolls, you can find anything!

http://www.slsknet.org/

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Magnatune is my favorite ( www.magnatune.com ). All legal, free 128k/s mp3 downloads of entire albums, higher speed mp3's and WAV/FLAC files at reasonable prices. They're the only label I buy from.