L2 Porcupine?

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Hmmm...

Since i can buy a Surefire L2 for $129.95 i'd say that is the most expensive "Stainless Steel Trident Strike Bezel" i've ever seen.

Lets review:

$258.00 - Surefire L2 Porcupine
- $129.95 - Surefire L2
-----------------------------
= $128.05 (for the bezel)
:laughing: :crackup:

Last edited:

JDJ

Newly Enlightened
Well, the premium in price is what made me wonder. But then I saw another SF porcupine model for sale, and the seller was asking $700 for it to start off!

An aftermarket mod is available?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
JDJ said:
Well, the premium in price is what made me wonder. But then I saw another SF porcupine model for sale, and the seller was asking $700 for it to start off!

An aftermarket mod is available?

That was for a L6, which has a different body and bezel...

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's "Porcupine" versions of it's lights are made at the exclusive request of an Asian Distributer/Dealer and sold through it's dealer network.

There have been Porcupine versions of the A2, U2, L2 and for the L6 Porcupine SureFire was asked to make the Strike Bezel from stainless steel (in addition to the rather complex body styling). The new L2 Porcupine follows this new idea of a stainless steel Strike Bezel.

U2-Porcupine:
U2%20Porcupine.jpg

Shelby Chan Photography

L6-Porcupine:
PK-0001.jpg

Shelby Chan Photography

A2-Porcupine:
P292.jpg

Source of photo not recorded/unknown (is it TAD Gear?)

The previous L2-Porcupine looked like this:
P135.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
:wonders what's the minimum order for a custom thing like that?:
I've never liked the L6 porcupine, but the U2... :iloveu:

Size15's

Flashaholic
My understanding is that any SureFire Dealer can order special runs of things from SureFire. They just have to order enough to make it worth SureFire's while, and that may be quite an investment that the Dealer would have to be confident they will quickly be able to recover by selling them.

Also, SureFire are busy so production of such a custom batch would need to fit in with their schedules I guess.

For example, SureFires can be custom laser etched, custom colour anodised, or have a different combination of parts such as 6P's supplied with the Z59 Clickie TailCap instead of the standard LOTC. Or, a load of KL4's could have the E2d's Strike Bezel ring installed. Or, they could make up an accessories kit package or something.

If they want something more exotic I guess it would be more complicated to arrange, and more costly. I suppose that some dealers may take a more active interest in what SureFire is up to behind the scenes and be able to realise concepts such as stainless steel Strike Bezels and fancy body styling in limited batch productions.

Al

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
For example, SureFires can be custom laser etched, custom colour anodised, or have a different combination of parts such as 6P's supplied with the Z59 Clickie TailCap instead of the standard LOTC.

Al

Sooo, I'm thinking CPF edition Surefires!!!

Group buy time!!!
Cpf Edition Od green HAIII U2's with CPF xx/100 on them!! :drool:

Can you rig it up???

-PSM

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's for a SureFire Dealer to make it happen - it'd be their investment in money and time and effort.
I image it'd be a really stressful activity and cost them and the buyers a lot.

Al

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
It's for a SureFire Dealer to make it happen - it'd be their investment in money and time and effort.
I image it'd be a really stressful activity and cost them and the buyers a lot.

Al

A flashaholic can dream can't he??? :hahaha: :sleepy:

-PSM

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Al, those are my personal lights. All I need is the DARPA porcupine from Shelby. :)

O

OpticsHQ

PoliceScannerMan said:
Sooo, I'm thinking CPF edition Surefires!!!

Group buy time!!!
Cpf Edition Od green HAIII U2's with CPF xx/100 on them!! :drool:

Can you rig it up???

-PSM
The different coating would be a major pain and cost to arrange. The engraving is pretty simple: minimum order of 100 lights, $75.00 set-up fee, and $3.00/light charge (figure $3.75 per light on an order of 100)

O

OpticsHQ

TheSteve said:
OpticsHQ - please consider a run of M6 CBs in HA black. I'd be happy to prepay for atleast one.
Right now SF is not willing to do a different coating unless we are talking a major run. Considering the costs involved, I do not think that would be a viable option.

Size15's

Flashaholic
OpticsHQ said:
Right now SF is not willing to do a different coating unless we are talking a major run. Considering the costs involved, I do not think that would be a viable option.

As I thought - it comes down to a Dealer putting his money on the line in the hope that he'll be able to recover it quickly. Any changes to production are likely to send any thoughts of regular pricing let alone discounts right out the window.

It's not a burden I would place on any Dealer - too much money and hassle involved imho.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I like the strike bezel on the U2 also...plus the bezel on the L6 looks good, but not keen on the rest of it...