Do any of you remember...

L.E.D.

Enlightened
..The Turtlelite and/or the Dorcy Coolbeam? First to make an LED actually be able to THROW!!! I sure remember these, I bought one as soon as it came out. Anyways, do you also remember the way they modified those little 5mm's to make them more difuse and throw better? They ground down the LED a bit to make the angle wider and etched a sort of radial, geometric design on the LED's epoxy surface. I was wondering, what if that same radial geometric etching technique were to be used on a Luxeon High Dome (Lambertian)??? It wouldn't need to be ground down as the angle is already wide enough, but could it possibly increase the throw even more when used in a reflectored design? I've tried sandpapering white 5mm's before and it doesn't even come close to the effectiveness of the etching technique...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I bought a close out, 4AA, Cool Beam "Solid State" Dorcy for $3.89, last January and it's still running on original bats with many hours of use. I believe it draws about 150mA.

Literator

Newly Enlightened
I have a Turtlelite II that I've used in my bedroom to get dressed and not wake up the wife. It's been in use for a couple of years - maybe more. I still haven't changed the batteries. It's a good light, but things sure have changed from those days!

--Bob

DigMe

Enlightened
L.E.D. said:
I was wondering, what if that same radial geometric etching technique were to be used on a Luxeon High Dome (Lambertian)??? It wouldn't need to be ground down as the angle is already wide enough, but could it possibly increase the throw even more when used in a reflectored design? I've tried sandpapering white 5mm's before and it doesn't even come close to the effectiveness of the etching technique...

Did you happen to catch this thread?

brad cook

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I upgraded mt rebranded Turtlelight with a Tectite LPR-113 Luxeon bulb. The reflector did not get along with the side emitter. I tried different home made diffusion filters. Right now I have Press n Seal over the lens. I use my light indoors and flood is more important than throw.

For people who do not have a original or rebranded Turtlulight here is a link to the bulb under discussion: Note LEDcorp has patented the process and anyone else trying the same thing without permission will probably get sued.
http://www.ledcorp.com/bulb_99-4.html

If you frosted the sides of an LED, you get a bigger blob of light instead of smaller spot in a non focussable torch.
http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/DrcyTst.htm

The trick is to flatten the top of the LED as close to the die as possible like in an MJLED. Can not locate most of the homemade MJLED threads as they are before CPF changed it's software.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86828&highlight=MJLED

Instead of trying to make a high dome go wider, why not just get a luxeon low dome/batwing or side emitter.