Newbie battery question re: outgassing

slind1

Newly Enlightened
I ran a search of the threads but couldn't find anything. I have a small Otter box that I've been using for storage of extra batteries. AAA, CR123, AA & Lithium AA. I opened it today and it smelled a little "strong", not quite sure how to describe it. Leads me to a couple of questions.

1) Do batteries outgas? I know about car batteries but what about non-liquid batteries?

2) Is it dangerous to store them in a sealed box like an Otter box.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fragrance is normal and is similar to ether. I rather enjoy the odor and some of us refer to it as "flashohol." It's nothing to worry about, unlike ether or engine starting fluid.

Lead-acid car batteries should be charged where there's some air movement as the gasses are both corrosive and explosive. Sealed (SLA) lead-acid type can bulge or crack open if over charged but normally don't outgas.

Merry Christmas.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
LA produce hydrogen gas IIRC. Which is explosive. But they are under a car hood where there's all kinds of heat so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are flicking a bic right next to it while it's outgasing lol.

The smell you smell is from teh lithium batts. Alks/nimh don't have much of an odor.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably characterize the smell as "China", if we are talking about the same thing. It's probably the smell of cheap plastic.

Have you tasted the toast that comes from an un-burned in Chinese toaster? The plastic taste is terrible.