Philosophy Question?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heard this question asked on the radio (a comercial none the less) and wondered if anyone hear could give me an explanation?

Do you know why the concept of odd and even is a philosophical contradiction?

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because it takes two (multiple for even numbers) to tango, make kids and so on for just about all species?

Because two is a good base for digital systems? :)

Or do you mean odd as in odd behavior or in "That's odd.."?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The odds are that the odd, odd guy may even get even on uneven surfaces. Unless sufficient, sacrifical, semantics are spewed, surmise that no one knows.

Merry Christmas.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Divisibility by 2 into whole integers is a philosophical contradiction?

4/2=2 Even

5/2=2.5 Odd (decimal or fraction, it's got a remainder.)

2.5/2=1.25 Still Odd

1.25/2=.625 Yep. Still Odd...

6/2=3 Even

3/2=1.5 Odd

If by "odd" we mean somtething other than numbers NOT divisible by 2 into whole integers, maybe I'm missing something.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know the answer to your question, but it is interesting to note that the total number of odd numerals is the same as the total number of even and odd numerals together. Count them and you will see that this is true.

nisshin

Enlightened
Perhaps "even" and "odd" do not represent perfect opposites as do "on" and "off." For example, even numbers can be added or multiplied and still produce an even; odd numbers, when multiplied, produce an odd, but when added, produce an even. Hence, there is an imbalance in properties.
nisshin

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, am not sure of it all myself. Basically it was a commercial for education. Talking about how young girls lose interest in science and math at a early age. Dialogue in commercial is of a little girl asking daddy why is the sky blue? He answers with "To match your pretty eyes", but then she sets him straight with the true scientific answer, then asks if he would be interested in knowing the answer to the question I posed, it is not given in the script.

Was just wondering as I hear the commercial nearly each day at work and wondered what the answer was.