I hate wall worts

Topper

Flashaholic*
Looking just around the small room I am in I see 8 of the things.
I can tell by sight that 2 are SF 1 is for my cell phone….that leaves 5 "Lord knows I do not" wall worts laying around. I wanted to charge up my Thor and found one that I think goes to a jump starter or it might be the tire inflater I don't know . How in the heck am I supposed to know? I got too much stuff laying around. I plugged a rechargeable razor to a wall wort that fit nicely and it popped a gasket or something it is now trash I can't find the razor that this wall wort goes to. I did look in a drawer and to my horror found more wall worts not the razor. I have a drill from Sears that worked fine and might work more if I could find the darn Wall wort, I hate them. I do truly hate wall worts with all my heart. Oh MERRY CHRISTMAS
Topper

Topper

Flashaholic*
No joke, most do not clue you in to what they are made for that is why I hate them. It should not be my job to mark their product.
Topper

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think it's a nice touch when some of my electronics put the wall wart in the middle of the cord instead of the end.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Yeah, I put labels on mine now. Otherwise it's about impossible to figure out what goes where after a while.

I also try to segregate the ones that need to be powered up all the time, like one that runs a clock, from the ones that only need power "on demand", and I plug those into a different power strip. That way I can turn off the current to the power strip with its switch, and cut off the power to all of those worts when it is not needed. They suck power even if they're not being used, sometimes quite bit. Ever touch them? Some of them get real toasty all the time. I've found that this lowers my electric bill.

LMU

carrot

Flashaholic
For some reason I have an excellent memory for these things. You can show me an adaptor from 3 years ago (even more in some cases) that I haven't used regularly and I can tell you what it's for... granted, some *do* have labeling that clues me in, but others are red herrings (a Motorola AC adaptor for a Palm).

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You're fortunate. I used to be able to name-that-adaptor every time, but after many years of working with many different adaptors for both residential and commercial equipment, they all start to blur together after awhile. Some are distinctive-looking and easier to identify, but there are soooo many plain black cubes that it's tough to match up every one.

Even so, I can usually match up an orphan adaptor with a compatible device by reading the specs on each. The only scary part of this is wondering about the polarity on dc-powered equipment!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also always "running out of room" like what I discussed in another thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/101527

AcAdaptors.jpg

Now that my DSL modem is hooked up, I have yet another "Wall wart" I ended up plugging the adaptor for my computer speakers straight into the wall and using the original plug for the DSL modem.

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rounded up and labeled all my stray worts, (yeh, it was a slow afternoon) put 'em in a box and everything. Then one day I wanted to string together a forsaken wort and a few LEDs, make a night light. So I tested the actual output of one for the LEDs and it was *way* off from the listed output. I had to relabel every one of them with the actual output, then I was sorry I used indelible marker the first time through, back when I believed the specs. on the case.

Navck

Enlightened
Hrm, I don't have wallwort problems. I have several power strips tho. Try finding those weird cables that let you plug into an extension strip and extend theirself away from it (So you can plug your wallworts into that)

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had that problem also, so I started to label mine and that solves the problem. I use a "Brother" label maker. I also keep a universal adapter around so I can almost always power something up when I need to.

I also started to collect all the extra ones or ones from discarded products in a box in case I needed them for some other purpose. It is just amazing how many of those things you can gather after a while. I even used one once.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate those things too and avoid products that use them!

I can only think of two that I own; one goes with a portable wifi router I keep in the van (someday to be replaced with a line powered model), and the other is a semi wall wart because it has a retractable cord that plugs into the wall (ZIP-LINQ for notebook computer).

My camera, cell phone, gps and other goodies can all get their power from a USB port.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken_McE said:
So I tested the actual output of one for the LEDs and it was *way* off from the listed output. .

A simple unregulated DC power supply will have a voltage that varies considerably with load. When unloaded it could have somewhere around 40% higher voltage than it does when supplying it's rated output current.

Even regulated power supplies like the ones used in computers can require a certain minimum current load before they give the proper voltage. At least it used to be that way.

db

Newly Enlightened
Navck said:
Hrm, I don't have wallwort problems. I have several power strips tho. Try finding those weird cables that let you plug into an extension strip and extend theirself away from it (So you can plug your wallworts into that)

cyberguys has those. Search for POWER STRIP LIBERATOR, there are several versions.