Any of you ever try Bowflex or other non-weight strength exercisers?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am possibly thinking of getting a bowflex. I live in a condo surrounded by other condos and I figured it would not clunk like a weight stack machine, not to mention getting it there and set up. But are they effective?

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
geepondy said:
Am possibly thinking of getting a bowflex. I live in a condo surrounded by other condos and I figured it would not clunk like a weight stack machine, not to mention getting it there and set up. But are they effective?

Well, BowFlex is very effective when used appropriately. It's not about weight, after, but resistance.

BUT, I will warn you that maybe 98 of a 100 people won't utilize these machines outside of three months. Then, you spend your money and the thing sits there collecting dust.

If you are considering getting new, I'd much better advise you to get a gym membership. There, you will be in the mood to work out, and the environment will encourage you to work out. At home, there are too many temptations to do other things.

If you do decide to buy, though, I'd suggest you buy from a second run store. That way, you'll minimize your costs while still getting something that's pretty much new.

In the final analysis: Better to get gym membership, but BowFlex is the real deal, and attainable at a much better price when purchased used from a second run store, or from a private party.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I belong to a gym and use it to do cardio but not much for weight lifting. A) I am intimidated a bit to lift with people much stronger and more knowledgeable to me and B) I do not like waiting around for equipment to open up, especially when doing a circuit of sorts. For the cardio it's easy, I just grab a treadmill and it's mine until I'm done. Seems like bowflext may take up quite a bit of real estate so I don't know if I can handle that as well.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Sleestak said:
. . .I will warn you that maybe 98 of a 100 people won't utilize these machines outside of three months. Then, you spend your money and the thing sits there collecting dust.

I was looking at the BowFlex machines and they're interesting equipment. So just like Sleestak mentioned, it's about resistance. I have a Soloflex with the leg press/extension and butterfly attachements that I got since 1989. Let me tell you that it works as long as you're disciplined enough to stick with that regiment. I like that fact that I can also use free weight plates on it too. Also like this thing does indeed begin to take up space and not only collect dust, but also becomes a valet to hand clothes and the like on it.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
My dad got a bowflex a while back. If you stick to a routine it works well, but it is much harder to work out regularly at home than it is at an outside gym. The weight seemed a little messed up at some times, like could do much more weight with the bowflex than I could with real weights.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
As CHC stated if you are self disciplined a home gym is better. Remember much of the "gym scene" is about socialization anyhow. You need to be realistic here. If you don't already work out on your own there is no reason to think a machine will make you do this. A simple pull up, push up, and dip bar can give you a great work out when you combine it with core and cardio exercises. In fact if you do hundreds of reps of these exercises you can do quite well.

I too have a Soloflex and Nordicflex gathering dust. Some of the geometries may not be optimal in some home equipment. In the Soloflex the bench press curves up and away towards your head which can injure your shoulders. I was pushing the machine's limit doing this and suffered an injury. The Nordicflex is better but there's a fair amount of setup. I know the guys making the Bowflex and you shouldn't have these problems. The machine is quieter than others so you are correct if you are deliberate in your movements.

If you like going to the gym and need or want to be around others excercising then go for it. Remember though for those who can work out on their own, the effort to change, travel to the gym and deal with other people really isn't worth it and could keep you from doing it. For the cost of gym membership you can buy quite a home gym in the long haul.

Bob_G

Enlightened
I did free weights at home for a dozen years or so, so it can be done at home with a little planning and commitment.

When I lived in a large urban area, the want adds were over-brimming with the rubber band things, so I'd say take advantage of someone else's impulse to service your own :)

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think I have a good exercise device at work. The building has 14 floors. I work on the 1st floor. Nearest colour photocopier is on the 11th. This I need to use pretty regularly (generally a couple of times a day). I take the stairs invariably - and rapidly. Been working there a couple of months now, and it IS getting easier.

Plus walking is good.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
one thing I forgot to add was that I could still tell when my dad was working out on the floor above me. I'm not sure what made the noise, but I could tell when the arms were bending on the bowflex. It wasn't loud, but it was noticeable.

Mad Maxabeam

Newly Enlightened
Resistance training is ok for toning and keeping from turning into a blob.

If you want strength and some real muscle growth free weights and diet is the only way to go. It's also the least expensive. :thinking:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Mad Maxabeam said:
Resistance training is ok for toning and keeping from turning into a blob.

If you want strength and some real muscle growth free weights and diet is the only way to go. It's also the least expensive. :thinking:

You got that right and I have to agree with you there. Disciplining yourself to keep to it for the rest of your life, well, very few do. . .

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id just get a bench for 70 bucks and around another 70 for a set of dumb bells and print off a routine online to do. I am at 20lbs from 3 lbs about a year ago.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I have been doing sit-ups, push-ups and reps using 25 pound dumbells ever since graduating from high school in 79. Occasionally I will get out of routine due to lack of time or something, but overall I have stuck with it for some 27 years now. I have no problem going without a shirt since I have always had the 6 pack abs. Arms are not the biggest, but oh well, skinny but well toned. I must say that I hate doing sit-ups and push-ups. But I do them anyway. It pays off when a guy like my leadman says he would like to be as skinny as you. Leadman used to be in the army and fit, now he is a blob. Self-Discipline is the name of the game. No matter if going to a gym or working out at home, it takes discipline to keep it up.

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:

I have a bandflex which costs a bit less and does essentially the same thing. Probably would not work for you if you look like the people who use bowflex.
It gathers dust and I'd be willing to sell it cheap.
I bought it after my last go round with asthma but soon got bored with it.
I started walking again.
In the long run aerobic exercise is best for you. A strong heart will keep you going longer than a strong arm. At 62 my resting heart rate was in the low 50's and some mornings would be below 50. Now at 65 and after only a few months of walking it's close to 60 again and going down.

Walking also has the advantage of giving you an excuse to buy another flashlight.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We've got one, my buddy has one as well...we LOVE it!!

However, we bought them direct from Bowflex - cost quite a bit! Sam's Club or Costco has a MUCH better deal on them if you have those stores available!

nickz

Enlightened
The bowflex machines are great indeed. Their weight loss advertisements however I feel do not come from the use of the machine, but from the diet regiments that come with the machine. If you follow their 6 week diet plan you will shed pounds quickly. After that you will need to work your way slowly up from the low calorie plan until you find an area that will maintain your weight with your lifestyle. Keep using the machine and push yourself to get the cardio benifit from the machine also. Anything you do is going to be a lifestyle change if you are trying to get back into shape. The right diet choices are key along with as much cold water as you can drink in a day. I try to drink at least 2 gallons every day. I really push for 2.5 gallons but I do not always make that. Sure, you will pee alot when you first start drinking that much water but your body will soon get used to it. You would be surprised of the benifits of drinking water... It ranges from weight loss to believe it or not has many of the chemical benifits of drugs such as paxil and paroxotine in many people who suffer from anxiety or mild depression.

Latest posts