Supermarket Brands

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I think it's clear who the popular highend manufacturer is.

It's also clear that the lesser brands have been increasing their quality of build and beam.

My question is of the "supermarket brands" like Dorcy, Garrity, Brinkman, Coast, etc, which do you think is the best quality in general?

<Leave MAG out please> :p

bruner

Enlightened
In my limited experience, I like Coast (led lensers). Leave it to the Germans for miniaturized quality, inexpensive lights.

Remember, this is just my "limited experience" two cents worth. I only have one Garrity and no dorcy, no brinkman. Although, I nearly bought a one AAA brinkman today, but who can justify $10 for that?

Dan

STEVENT6

Enlightened
I have some Dorcy, Garrity, and Brinkman's, and a few Ray O Vac's. Their good for what they are. Most of them I bought because they were on sale for $4 to $8. They are ok quality lights for leaveing in a vehicle or loaning to people.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned several lights from most of the 'pretty cheap' brands... overall, my favorite line is probably Dorcy.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the DorcyAAA, and if I get off my dead a$$ this week, I'll do the Nichia swap with them using my new xmas gift, a coldheat solderer.
Also just got a Brinkmann Maxfire LX, and really like it. Throws pretty far, and based on Quickbeam's reviews, it has more throw and output than a Surefire G2. For $17-20, ya can't beat that. Used it while walking in the fog last night, and it really looked cool on a pea-soup night.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_g2.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/brinkmann_maxfirelx.htm

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind the Dorcy or even the Energizer range.
The good thing about Supermarket Brand lights is that
they are always there in front of you if you need one in a hurry.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The reason I ask is because I constantly find myself staring at these cheapo lights while stuck in line at Lowes or WalMart, and I know I'll eventually crack and buy 2-10 of them.

Seems like Dorcy gets the best budget brand vote so far.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that for build quality and consistency, Maglite is the number one "supermarket" brand. All their lights display similar quality, as opposed to, say, Dorcy, where some are good, some not...

Having said that, I am often tempted by these other brands, and I think my favorite is Energizer. I have several that are still good lights, albeit inexpensive, like the 2 led folding light, the folding fluorescent lantern, Trailblazer, etc.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
The yellow Dorcys are probably the best 'junk drawer' lights you'll find. Buying a metal flashlight, one you wouldn't throw away, is the first step towards flashaholicism. I would never put any plastic light regardless of brand into an emergency kit, but for around the house it never hurts to have a few cheapies lying around.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really liking the Dorcy & River Rock.

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Most of the River Rock lights appear to be made by Nuwai. Other than the 'moonbeam' 2AA light, I've been happy with that entire brand line. I own the entire brand line of RR lights for less than the cost of a single SF.

DigMe

Enlightened
Dorcy and River Rock. In the past I possibly would have said Brinkmann but they appear to have taken some negative cost cutting measures (Legend LX is no longer focusable, Maxfire LX bulb assembly) that don't inspire confidedence or exude quality. Also, they have some lights like the Rebel LED that are just cheap plastic crap.

brad cook

Latest posts