Fussy Fenix?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I just got home and loaded one of my Energizer 2500mAh batteries into the L1, after about 3 minutes, the LED drops to below 50%, flickers, and dies, if i shake the light or tap the tailcap (which is fully tightened down), it comes on, if i tap it while it's on, it turns off, it also seemed to get a little *warmer* than expected around the front bezel....

are the Ver 2.5 L1's more fussy when it comes to batteries?, i can see a few possibilities here;

1; the NIMH battery is a hair too short, making intermittent contact with the spring in the tailcap
2; the NIMH has self-discharged below 50% threshhold and the L1 is drawing too much power (i don't have a battery tester here)
3; the 2.5 version L1 series is more fussy when it comes to batteries
4; the NIMH battery is defective
5; my L1 is defective :(

i will say this, it runs fine on standard alkalines, doesn't even get warm, and truth be told, i haven't tried another NIMH in it yet, so for now, i'll use alkalines in it, and drain the NIMH's down and recharge them

any ideas?

billvan

Newly Enlightened
MacTech said:
I just got home and loaded one of my Energizer 2500mAh batteries into the L1, after about 3 minutes, the LED drops to below 50%, flickers, and dies, if i shake the light or tap the tailcap (which is fully tightened down), it comes on, if i tap it while it's on, it turns off, it also seemed to get a little *warmer* than expected around the front bezel....

are the Ver 2.5 L1's more fussy when it comes to batteries?, i can see a few possibilities here;

1; the NIMH battery is a hair too short, making intermittent contact with the spring in the tailcap
2; the NIMH has self-discharged below 50% threshhold and the L1 is drawing too much power (i don't have a battery tester here)
3; the 2.5 version L1 series is more fussy when it comes to batteries
4; the NIMH battery is defective
5; my L1 is defective :(

i will say this, it runs fine on standard alkalines, doesn't even get warm, and truth be told, i haven't tried another NIMH in it yet, so for now, i'll use alkalines in it, and drain the NIMH's down and recharge them

any ideas?

I'm running the same NiMH on my newly aquired L1 without any problems...could be a bad battery. Interesting that regular battery is OK but NiMH acts up. Try another and see what happens. Good luck!
Bill

alberto

Enlightened
Try different batteries. I use lithium batteries in my Fenix L1P 2.5, but substituted a NiMH rechargable and it works fine. Make sure the head is fully tightened. Also try slightly tightening the switch ring inside the tailcap.

paulr

Flashaholic
There are various threads about problems like that with the Fenix, usually with simple fixes.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some things to check:

- The head is screwed in tight (unscrew completely and screw in as tight
as possible by hand)
- Make sure the two contacts on your battery is clean.
- Make sure the contact in the head is clean - possiblly use a dry q-tip
- Lastly, check and make sure the retaining ring in the tailcap that
holds the switch module is in tight.

This fixes 99% of reported problems
:D

Latest posts