saw some LED wall lights in our church

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our church is having a lot of services for the holiday season, when I was there yesterday someone was pointing out the new decorative sconces in the main auditorium and they were amazed that they were LED's. (They lit up a wall for about 20' above the sconce.) I'm an usher and like to be prepared, so I immediately whipped out my Inova X5 and showed him how bright it can be up close and personal.

I don't know how the wall sconce is constructed, I'm guessing it either has a whole lot of 5mm LED's in series, or an AC/DC converter that drops the voltage.

EricB

Enlightened
What color are they?

Here in NYC, they have sconces on the street lights in the area around Grand Central, with some sort of green plants using white LED C6's. Also on an overpass above 42nd. St. The sidewalk around the Empire State is lined with little bushes with strings of 5mm white LED's with clear covers over them (so they at first look bigger than 5mm).

These things still aren't as bright as incandescents, though, or at least the "air" they cast around them isn't. (these are very bluish looking ones)They should use the bright whites they use in the "walk" symbol traffic signs.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some were red and some were green. I didn't look at them closely to see if they were colored LED's or just had colored lenses added for the holidays.

EricB

Enlightened
That must have looked nice.
(I doubt they had colored lenses. That is unnecessary with LED's, and if they did, the colors would be noticeably pale; especially if was the usual high K white. The covers on the whites I mentioned seemed to be for protection from the weather, not for color).