Flashaholic? Now I understand.

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
I was flashlight crazy between the ages of 8 and 14 but when I purchased my Maglite AA I thought I had found the best small light that money could buy so I lost interest.

So 5 days ago I came across some LED flashlights in a local hardware store. I can't remember the brand but they were about $30 for 5 LED lights using 3 AAA (Not a brand I've been able to find online anywhere). I already knew about the existence of the Inova X5 but was unsure whether it was brighter than my Mag AA.

So I go online to start researching the status of flashlight technology and find I have a bit of catching up to do since 1995! Talk about an insanely large selection of LED lights to choose from! This forum is nuts, NUTS I tell you! (shakes fist, bangs head off table).

So I proceeded to spend 4 whole days reading these forums and doing very little else. By the end of that I was a burbling, quivering, wreck mumbling about T bins, runtime plots and integrating spheres. :crazy:

My first task was to immediately buy a replacement for my AA maglite. I landed on the Fenix L2P as the blindingly (heh) obvious choice. I also picked up one of those 7 LED + Laser things and a 5 LED Xnova as a Christmas present for someone.

I've read about 10% of the reviews on flashlightreviews.com, looked through all of the good manufactureres sites and now I have a "Flashlights" sections in my bookmarks that is almost as large as my "Peak Oil" and "Linux" sections. This is the sign that I am a relapsing flashaholic and that my wallet is about to suffer.

So now I'm looking for a single AA/AAA light that has good battery life that isn't too bright. So far I have narrowed it down to:

Gerber Infinity Ultra (what exactly was better about the CMG Inifinity Ultra?)
Peak Kilmanjaro (1 LED) (I can't find an acurate review or runtime plot anywhere.)
Peak Matterhorn (1 LED)
Arc AAA P

I'm a logical sort of guy and it seems odd to me that a 1 LED AAA Matterhorn produces the same amount of light for the same length as time as a 1 LED AA Kilmanjaro when an AA has twice the capacity of an AAA.

This is what peakledsolutions.com seems to claim anyway so I am eager to see a review of the 1 LED Kilmanjaro done by flashlightreviews.com.

Anyhoo, I look forward to receiving my L2P courtesy of Lighthound. What would be really cool is if there was a 3V Lion rechargeable battery the size of 2AAs :huh:.

Thanks people for a fantastic forum with great people.

In the words of father Dougal McGuire: "Aye Brilliant!".

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
So, what's the problem here, TenPin?

Your intensive flashlight research & selection process -- along with your overall attitude and behavior -- sounds perfectly normal to me!

Welcome to CPF!

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
TenPin welcome on board CPF, and be sure to keep a firm hold on your wallet, this flashlight addiction thingy can sure get addictive....

i'm a relative newbie here as well, i started a month or two ago, and in that time i've purchased;
Inova X1 (3, 2 for gifts, one for me)
Inova X5
Inova X0 (returned, was unimpressed with it, beam was too tightly focused)
Inova 24/7 (emergency car light)
Princeton Tec EOS headlamp
Fenix L1 (the Lighthound special with the "R" bin Lux from the L1P version, you know, the one that sold out in 24 hours thanks to addicts like us ;) ....)
Husky Worklight (for car breakdowns)
SureFire G2 Nitrolon
SureFire 6P
SureFire SC-1 Spares Carrier
SureFire P61 high-output bulb (currently living in the G2)

all in less than 2 months, i tell ya' i'm hopeless....

one bit of warning, *avoid* the siren call of the SureFire G2, if you see one, run away with your hands over your ears singing LALALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!, *do not* look at the affordable price, do not think "well i'll just buy this *one* G2 to see if i like it, the hype over SureFires has to be just that, hype....right?"

SureFire's dirty little secret with the G2 is that it's a "gateway flashlight", it gets you hooked on SF, then you start lusting after their more esoteric (and expensive) lights, and it's all over at that point, you're a junkie waiting for your next "fix"....

i think my sig line below says it best about SF.....

run away now while you still can, it's too late for us, save yourself! ;)

paulr

Flashaholic
The Gerber Infinity Ultra has a redesigned body that's easier to mod (replace led) than the CMG version, but is uglier and maybe less durable. It's not a bad light, it's just not the favorite that the CMG version was.

The Peak Matterhorn (lug body, 1-led ultra power version) and Arc AAA are very similar. The Peak has smoother color due to its "snow" led, while the Arc maybe has a little more output, and slightly more efficient electronics.

If it says somewhere that the 1-led Matterhorn and Kilimanjaro of the same vintage have the same output/runtime/etc, that's obviously wrong.

The Matterhorn and Arc AAA are great keychain lights while the AA lights are a bit large for a keychain. If you get a Matterhorn, I recommend the HA body and lug tail. 1-led vs 3-led depends on whether you want to exchange runtime for output. The brass and stainless bodies look great but weigh a ton. The "keychain" style Matterhorn with the removable keychain post is noticably longer than the lug version, making it bit awkward, and my idiosyncratic opinion (maybe not widely held) is that the removable post is ugly looking. Most people prefer the "ultra" power version either way. The "high" power version is dimmer but has extremely long runtime--a declining tail that gets dimmer and dimmer but doesn't go completely dead, over a period of several days.

You can think of the Kilimanjaro as a higher quality, more flexible version of the Infinity Ultra. My gripe about it is the lanyard options. You have your choice between no lanyard hole at all, or the ugly removable post similar to the Matterhorn's version. I'd like it if they made it more like the Firefly or CR2 Ion.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know, I have a SF G2, and while I love it, and plan on getting a few SFs in the future, the lights that are highest on my list to buy are *not* SF. This includes Arc-AAAP, Infinity Ultra, Inova X1, Fenix L1P.

I guess I feel that right now, with such a powerful (first) light, that I should cover the dimmer end of the spectrum for things like close-up work and longer runtime. But towards the end of my list, I have SF G2z, L1, A2, and U2... Not to mention an HDS EDC and a Longbow Micra. These I need to buy. To no surprise, I seem to have too many Surefires on my list of "must buy."

Get the G2. It's a fantastic light -- bright, durable, and good-looking (as far as plastic lights go, from what I've seen). Plus it's a SF for only $35. Less if you scout around.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. Besides the models you mentioned, there are several families of small LED lights based on 0.5 W LEDs which are pretty good quality and good values. Advancedmart has a good collection of them. J2LED has some pretty good specials on pairs of them (note the prices are in Canadian dollars, cheaper in US dollars).

The 0.5 W lights (and most of the tail clickie lights) will benefit from occasional tightening of the retaining rings holding in their tail switches. You should get a pair of fine tipped needle nose pliers ($2 around here for cheap ones) for that purpose if you get them. Enjoy.

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for info paulr, very informative stuff.

After a bit of exploring I found all of the runtime plots for the Peak lights here:

http://www.peakledsolutions.com/images/

Methinks I will get a Kilmanjaro High Power 1 LED with a pocket base. Or maybe the Matterhorn, or maybe the Kil... argh, I'll sleep on it.

I'm primarily looking for runtime here so the AA is more tempting. I really really really want to see a review of the Kilmanjaro by flashlightreviews.com though, man thats an awesome site, a flashaholic's paradise.

MacTech - I wasn't tempted by the G2 at all because its runtime is so short and it uses 123s. The U2 however is calling to me. I could put up with it using 123s because you can get insane runtimes by turning the brightness down. However it costs more than is currently resting in my account :mecry:.

carrot

Flashaholic
TenPin said:
I wasn't tempted by the G2 at all because its runtime is so short and it uses 123s.

I thought 60 minutes was short runtime too. But when I got mine, I found the batteries lasted several weeks (maybe even a month) with a little bit of use every day.

The SF A2 Aviator seems to be a pretty good choice - long runtimes on LED and then high output when you need it. Given the money and the financial freedom to buy it (mom won't let me buy anything "absurd" like that... just wait another year...) I'd have it right away. In HAIII-BK.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
TenPin said:
Anyhoo, I look forward to receiving my L2P courtesy of Lighthound. What would be really cool is if there was a 3V Lion rechargeable battery the size of 2AAs :huh:.

14500 are Li-ion rechargeable 3.7V batteries that are AA-size. Let me give you push if you are on the fence about taking the dive into lights and CPF. ;)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholic? Now I understand.
Yeah, same here. I just sold my old L2 purely so I could get the new one. Within the past 2 weeks I also got a Fenix L1P, an HDS 42XR, and ordered a Peak CPF Special. And come February, I might just sell them all and buy U85.

And in 6 months they'll all be obsolete and I'll have to start all over again.

Germ

Enlightened
Hey TenPin, new flashaholic here too :rock:

I'm looking for a small backup to my Surefire E2D. Like you I'm looking for something with a long runtime.

I want to use a AA light as a keychain light for the runtime, but I'm sure it would be too big. An AA could perhaps reside beside the wallet or replace the E2D when my front pant's pocket is too tight, like during the holidays :) I wish flashlightreviews had a review of the Peak Kilmanjaro too. Right now I'm thinking the Gerber Infinity Ultra or the Kilmanjaro. The Peak would probably be better with the HAIII hard anodizing and the snow LED (I'm trying to avoid lights that cast a bluish beam). I'd love to see runtime graphs of the Infinity Ultra and the Kilmanjaro.

For an AAA light I'm considering the Arc Premium or the Peak Matterhorn. I currently carry a Mag Solitaire (stop laughing, I wasn't enlightened when I purchased it) on my keychain, so I know I can live with the size of these lights. Neither the Arc or the Peak appear to be regulated though. I think Peak is supposed to be coming out with a Luxeon AAA. That could be something to wait for, though the runtime would probably be short.

The UK 2AAA eLED is calling to me too:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_2aaa_eled.htm

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Germ said:
For an AAA light I'm considering the Arc Premium or the Peak Matterhorn. I currently carry a Mag Solitaire (stop laughing, I wasn't enlightened when I purchased it) on my keychain, so I know I can live with the size of these lights. Neither the Arc or the Peak appear to be regulated though. I think Peak is supposed to be coming out with a Luxeon AAA. That could be something to wait for, though the runtime would probably be short.
Adding true regulation would not only add cost, but make the light bigger (longer). Both are "semi-regulated", which, while not giving flat output like true regulation might, still gives you a better drain curve than direct-drive would. My nod goes to the Arc. It's smaller (only slightly, but every mm counts on a keychain light), brighter, has longer runtime, and a flatter drain curve. However, if color is an issue, a snow Peak might be a better choice, although aparently the newest Arcs use a different LED that, while slightly dimmer, is much whiter (my 2 examples of the Arc-P AAA both had tints--one slightly blue/purple, one slightly sickly yellow/green).

Either blow the living snot out of Mag Solitaire.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Welcome To CandlePowerForums!

Well TenPin, there sure is a lot of reading and researching to do. As far as possible, why not also "see" first hand what some of the flashlights you're studying up on before moving toward its direction. . .There's got to be sporting goods stores and others that carry some of the lights mentioned throughout CPF (Gerber, Inova, River Rock, Streamlight, SureFire, etc.,) other than the customized ones. . .

Anyways, hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
Well, I received my L2P and its the most beautiful light I have ever seen. Granted thats not many but it makes my Mag AA look like a something not worth owning. Consequently I'm giving it to the 5 year old son of a friend.

Many thanks to Lighthound for getting it to me in 4 days \o/.

CLHC

Flashaholic
You can still do an "upgrade" on that Mini Maglite with a drop-in LED. That can be had at a few places like LED-Replacement and The Sandwich Shoppe a.k.a. TheLEDGuy. Check it out if you have not done so already.

And YES! The Mini Maglite in stock form cannot come close to the Fenix L2P! No Way No How. . .Enjoy!

Germ

Enlightened
Planterz, thanks for comparing the Arc Premium and the Peak Matterhorn.

On flashlightreviews the Arc did look like it had a better runtime graph:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/arc_aaa-p.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_matterhorn_ultsnow.htm

Both of the outputs have a steep drop at the beginning. You are surely correct about the penalties of true regulation. I sure like seeing a runtime graph that look like half of a New Mexico mesa though :)

Is Arc a reliable company (or Peak for that matter)? Seems like Arc has had some shakeups lately. They show about a 6-8 week wait for their lights too.

http://www.arcflashlight.com/

carrot

Flashaholic
Germ said:
Is Arc a reliable company (or Peak for that matter)? Seems like Arc has had some shakeups lately. They show about a 6-8 week wait for their lights too.
Arc's 6-8 week wait on their lights is simply because there is so much demand for them by CPF members. As for Peak, the 2005 CPF Special is made by Peak, so one would assume they're good. Doug on Flashlightreviews.com gave the 2005 CPF Special a 5-star rating, saying the light is just excellent.

Gransee of Arcflashlight hangs out on CPF, too.