Fenix L1P - L2P vs Terralux TLE-5

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i couldn't decide if i wanted the very small size (L1P) or the long regulated run-time (L2P) so i just solved the problem & got both! Once again www.eliteled.com had competitive prices & super fast shipping. I work at night and i must say eliteled is the only business i've dealt with that answers email questions FAST even late at night, even on weekends! That's GREAT customer service in my book! Most businesses only answer email M-F 9-5 & some even take several days to respond.

I love both of these lights! Compared to the TLE-5 mini-mag, both Fenix models are NOTICEABLY brighter. This comparison was with freshly charged 2300MaH 1.2v AA cells. So the TLE-5 claim of 42-50 lumens i guess is a bit exaggerated. The HA III body of the Fenix makes the mini-mag body seem like a joke. These are tough heavy-duty little lights. Being that these lights use rechargeable AA cells i can use these often without worry vs cr123a powered lights. I'm scared to use RCR123a cells because of the possibilty of ruining the light. Also Doug/Quickbeam just reviewed some RCR123a cells & they had very poor performance in 2 cell lights. I also compared the both Fenix models to my TM301X-5 whick is a surefire L4 clone. The 301X-5 puts out more light in a evenly spread wide flood area while the Fenix has a very bright hot spot but not as much side spill. Overall, considering the low price, HA III finish, extra parts & excellent performance i would have no problem naming either Fenix model as best light of 2005.

Regards,
John

jezzyp

Enlightened
How would you compare the l1p to the l2p? I've got the 1lp (and gave 2 others away for christmas). My brother is in the UK police and I had got him a 1 but I'm considering getting the 2 instead. As its regulated it it supossed to stay brighter for longer but you can't help but fancy the 1 for the light/size output. I too have a TLE-5 but having used the fenix it about to get sold!

Last edited:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
jezzyp said:
How would you compare the l1p to the l2p? I've got the 1lp (and gave 2 others away for christmas). My brother is in the UK police and I had got him a 1 but I'm considering getting the 2 instead. As its regulated it it supossed to stay brighter for longer but you can't help but fancy the 1 for the light/size output. I too have a TLE-5 but having used the fenix it about to get sold!

Jezzy,

To my "naked eye" the brightness seems equal between the L1P & L2P. For police work the L2P would be better because uniformed police don't carry things in their pockets. They attach lights to their belts in a holder. Also the L2P regulated run-time is also a plus when using it for extended periods of time. The L1P would be better for a detective who would carry the light in a jacket or pants pocket.

John

jezzyp

Enlightened
Hi

Ta for that. Looks like I'll be knocking on lighthounds door again soon... The UK police issue AA M*gs to our officers here - you get one when you first join - with a lovely engraved name of your force but thats it for your career and don't expect any free batteries either!

bramer

Newly Enlightened
I have had the terralux tle-5 for sometime. I just received the L2P today and all I can say is wow. The terralux doesn't come close. The L2p is quite the light for size, price and the type of batteries it uses.

matty

Newly Enlightened
you say this flashlight the lp2 will work with rechargable 2600 maha batteries? Its hard to find an led that will work with the 2600maha batteries.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there threads comparing the L1P vs. L2P. I like my L1 but is actually too small and uncomfortable to hold as an EDC. If the same brightness then I would assume L2P at least twice as long runtime?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I owned one of the original TLE-5s that was less than impressive a while back. About a month ago, I bought one of the most recent ones that supposedly comes with a guaranteed R-bin and it compared very favorably to my L1P. Most folks seemed to think it would not be comparable but I had them both in my hands at the same time and they were very similar. Either way, I still prefer the Fenix since you can get a Fenix for about $42 and the TLE-5 will cost you about $31 including a new Minimag.

Comparing my L1P to my L2P, they look basically intentical as far as output and brightness. Mine even have the same tint. I like the constant current regulation of the L2P and the fact that it has quite a bit better runtime (I only use Energizer 2500 mAh NiMH cells) but I've yet to carry my L2P for even one single day because I carry the L1P and a brighter 2x123 cell LED.

matty

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
I owned one of the original TLE-5s that was less than impressive a while back. About a month ago, I bought one of the most recent ones that supposedly comes with a guaranteed R-bin and it compared very favorably to my L1P. Most folks seemed to think it would not be comparable but I had them both in my hands at the same time and they were very similar. Either way, I still prefer the Fenix since you can get a Fenix for about $42 and the TLE-5 will cost you about $31 including a new Minimag.

Comparing my L1P to my L2P, they look basically intentical as far as output and brightness. Mine even have the same tint. I like the constant current regulation of the L2P and the fact that it has quite a bit better runtime (I only use Energizer 2500 mAh NiMH cells) but I've yet to carry my L2P for even one single day because I carry the L1P and a brighter 2x123 cell LED.

I get the idea that this l1p and the l2p can both use rechargables without issues? I have some MAHA 2500s that I want to use but don't want to wreck an led light .I recently bought a stream light luexon 3watt light but its a bit big and no carry case. I am new to the led light scene and would like some input from some experts like yourselves. I am looking for a AA light or AAA light that will fit in a small pouch preferable blastic nylon case with snap for my job as a firefighter.This light needs to run on rechargeables that I already own . what kind of run times do the L1P and L2P have if they are the same brightness? :huh:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
matty said:
you say this flashlight the lp2 will work with rechargable 2600 maha batteries? Its hard to find an led that will work with the 2600maha batteries.

I use 2800 mah batteries in mine.

matty

Newly Enlightened
:help:
john2551 said:
I use 2800 mah batteries in mine.

I really like pelican lights for firefighting and i have 3 of there lights but they don't make a AA or AAA model. I do like the M1 mini light with there nice balstic nylon case . flashlight reivew gave them a good rating but wonder how they compare to these flenix lights? Any good cases for these lights?

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
matty said:
does this void warranty at all?

The Fenix documentation specifically states to use alkaline or NiMH batteries (Lithium could cause problems with their slightly higher voltage).

The capacity of the NiMH (2500, 2800mAh etc) has no bearing on the voltage, and therefore no bearing on the warranty either :)

matty

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys for your replies. I don't find any of these fenix lights on ebay , where is the best place to buy from? How does the L1 compare to the arc?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my L1 and my L2P from 4sevens. He has the L1P for sale here and the L2P for sale here.

I can't recommend him highly enough!

matty

Newly Enlightened
is the holster a nice nylon holster with snap or just a slide in? Another thing how long does it take for the webmaster to answer? I messed up on my registration and haven't heard from them in two days.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The webmaster? Webmaster of what? Lighthound?

The L1P used to come with a nylon holster with a nomex flip velcro top but it's been replaced with a tight slip in design like what comes with the Inova X1. There are other higher quality holsters available but they are about $25 I believe.

matty

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
The webmaster? Webmaster of what? Lighthound?

The L1P used to come with a nylon holster with a nomex flip velcro top but it's been replaced with a tight slip in design like what comes with the Inova X1. There are other higher quality holsters available but they are about $25 I believe.

no webmaster of this site. I registered under a different name and never got comfirmation no to my email. so I had to reregister under a different name and had to pick a different email address. himmmmm.... its been 3 days without a reply from the webmaster.

sideswipe

Newly Enlightened
Jezzyp,

Do you know of anywhere in the UK selling fenix kit, or do you get yours from the US?

Thanks

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
I've no idea if you could get them here, but probably not. I would use someone like Lighthound or via B/S/T on here. I've given up on UK suppliers due to lack of choice and high prices.

Mark