what's your work lights?

cy

Flashaholic
have always favored lights that I actually use VS safe queens.

a few weeks ago Tulsa had an ice storm and dipped down to zero degrees. for those of you up north, zero is pretty cold for Tulsa. anyways....

came home at 9:30pm after some shopping. I heard a hissing noise indicating fast running water. looked all over for anything running, couldn't find anythings. yup.. gotta broken pipe behind a wall or underneath. ran outside and turned off water.

next day came to conclusion with broken pipes all over town. good luck finding a plumber. after calling a buddy plumber who told me what to look for. crawled under the house and located the leak.

well it's dark and creepy under houses so naturally needed a few lights. whup'd out my trusty Surefire U2, river rock headlamp and my Li14430/CR2 is alway on my neck.

Surefire U2, River rock headlamp and Li14430/CR2 seems to be lights I grab for real jobs.

what's your work lights?

pipe.JPG

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight SL-20X,
Stingers (stock & modded)
Surefire 8NX
One of my various 2 cell Surefire incandescents.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Main work light is the U2. If it's just a quick draw, real fast use type thing, the PDIII from being clipped on the pocket. I use the LionCub at works some too, but not as much of late as it's actually in the pocket, and the PDIII is clipped to it. Any long use goes to the U2 usually, and around the house I reach for the Cub, or grab the HDS off the couch.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is interesting how we gravitate to certain lights.

My "go to" light is my Streamlight 3AA Task Light Luxeon. Runs almost forever before it dims noticeably, cheap AA's, and doesn't cost a lot.

I like the lanyard, and have added O-rings in the cut outs on the body. Hard to drop that way, and it's big enough to handle easily.

It's got a lot of battle scars, but I'll keep going to it.

Last edited:

dim

Enlightened
Good job finding the leak.

While I'm not particularly a "handy" guy, for the occasions that I need a work light, the bright spill of my Gerber LX 3.0 lights up an area quite well at close and medium range. When a storm blew out a 16"x48" window in a frame that supported two such panes at Mom's house, I showed up with both my LX3 and my MAG118 2D shortly before the glazier arrived to fix the window after hours. From about 10 feet away, the MAG118 on medium flood brightly lit the workspace for the glazier to do his thing. I tightened the beam on occasion if more light was needed on a spot. The MAG118 was more on then off for the over an hour that the glazier worked on half depleted NiMH batts. Bright is great, but not on dead batteries. I value runtime as much as I do brightness. It was for just such an occasion that I put the MAG118 together for.

dim

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two lights that I use when it is time to get some work done. Peak Mediterranean with 2AA body and nFlex 8AA WX1S LuxeonV Mag. The Med is good for getting into tight spots and has plenty of spill/throw for its size and runs cool. Always have NiMH AA batteries to feed it so no worries if the 15 minute job takes 6 hours.

The nFlex 8AA WX1S LuxeonV Mag is my light for major work projects. Remove the head so it is a pure flood light and adjust the output to suit the purpose. 3 hour to 70 hour runtime on the 8AA NiMH pack ensures I'll get done what I need to get done! If I could only have one "work light" it would be the nFlex LuxeonV Mag... can't beat the flood beam coming off the hotlips heat sink with the head removed.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work I have an ARC4+ on my shirt pocket and a cut down mm with BB700 on my belt and a Jil dd in my pants pocket. when I need two hands I have a BD zenix iq.
C:santa:

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
The U2 is my EDC, so it gets used alot.
I use my SL 4AA Luxeon a good bit also. Especially if I think im gonna end up beating up the U2 too much.
The Stenlight headlamp gets a good bit of use, man, what a good light.
The Fenix sees a good bit of use as a neck light.

~John

CLHC

Flashaholic
* 3[M]iniMag
* Mini Maglite w/TW0J
* SureFire G2
* SureFire 9P
* SureFire E2e
* Princeton Tec Predator

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Micra or Lioncub are my EDC so most of the time it is one of those, but if I know that I'm going to need a certain type of night for the particular task I'll be sure to take the right light with me.

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
A SF G2 is my EDC work light. The SF holster for it is just right for this purpose, as it is an easy one-handed draw,and an easy replacement into the holster,too. If I think I am going to need the light on for a long time, I will get the Streamlight TL-3 LED that is back in my toolbox. My lights get so dirty and oily in the course of my job that I just can't bring myself to use the U2 for something like this,even though it would be ideal.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using the Elektro Lumens XM-3 until I wore out the rubber cover for the switch.

Now I use the Streamlight 4AA Propolymer 1 Watt Luxeon. I also use the Elektro Lumens Tri-Star Phazer.

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
If I need to work in bad conditionds ie, dirt , mud , greese , water . I go with my Tektite Expedition 300 . This light is bomb proof and I have put it through hell and it still works . I droped it from a roof 3 stories high and it landed on concrete , no problem . I put a long line on it and send it down into of my garden well to check out the water depth .
The light output is not the greatest but it always works .

Kenny

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS basic-60 is my main EDC, has been since i got it almost a yr ago. It goes out the door when ever i do.
I also carry a 1xAAA around my neck on a dog tag chain for backup,( lately a sonic G, but if I intend to use it a lot it's a ARC AAA-P or peak ultra po lug version. and a jil 1.3 for my #2 backup.
around the house, and sometimes as an EDC i use a KL-1/VG 1x123
and a E1e, but it's blown so i need to order a MN01 lamp soon. VDG

dougmccoy

Enlightened
For EDC and work use it's my E2e carried in a kydex holster on my duty belt. I've found that I can get the majority of my paramedic jobs done using this light and it is easily carried in the mouth if needed. I dont like the wear on my teeth but hey there's always the dentist!
For longer runtimes and illuminating work at crashes etc I tend to use a G2 with a 3 watt BOG module and a diffusion filter, works great.

Around the house and for walking the dog I tend to use a modded 2C Mag using
an Everled bulb and powered by 2 x C123's. Although I've got better lights somehow the above combo works really well. Comfortable and lightweight to hold, long running and no worries about accidentally damaging the light.

Doug

Radio

Modulated Moderator
At work I have found the perfect light to carry in my back pocket, The RR 2AAA, use it two or three times and then of course someone wants it and I give it away, then I pull my Fenix L1P out of my front pocket till I restock on RR's