MonsterMag 1 is born! 46 kilocandela, ~2300 lumen

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's Christmas, at least here it is (Why is it that you guys over there celibrate Christmas day and we celibrate Christmas eve anyway?), but that doesn't stop me.

I hope that someone hasen't taken the name MonsterMag yet...

This project started in April this year when I got a Philips Masterline ES lamp from a guy I know at Philips. I looked it up and found no other MR16 lamp that was so efficient with so narrow beam. Because of its rated AC-life of 5000 hours, I immediately thought - OVERDRIVE TO THE MAX! Out of the 5000 hours I only plan to be able to use 100 of them, which would mean a bulb-cost of about 22 cents per hour.

Next on the agenda was batteries. Using a 3D host, I could only get 14.4 volt using AA NiMHs. 2/3AA could have done the trick but I opted for 12 Li-Ion AAs. The resons for not using the 14.4 volt solution where two:
1. Boost converters are not as efficient as PWM.
2. There was no room for the coil needed, especially as I wanted to be able to run at 10+ ampere.

The biggest and hardest part was the actual PWM circuit. As I'm an electrical engineering student and we don't learn anything useful in school, I decided to put the rib high in order to actually learn something.

Therefore I planed for the following features:
* soft start, in order not to instaflash my bulb
* temperature sensing, just about every component is running on or well above specifications so I figured that some safety is needed.
* 0 uA stand-by load, just because.
* software breaker, because there are no 10+ ampere breakers with negligible resistance in my price range.
* LED indication of battery status, temperature and so on.
* 95+% efficiency, there are no other way using no cooling.
* must be smaller than a D battery in diameter.

All of this was achieved thanks to many hours of work and a buckload of help from my friend Alexander. Thanks Alex!

The data:

Host: Mag 3D, black
Lamp: Philips Masterline ES, 12 V, 45 W, 8 deg, 5000 hour
Batteries: Batteryspace.com's Li-ion 14500, 750 mAh
Battery adapter: modified modamag 12 AA -> 3D
Switch: Bulgin MPI002, LED illuminated
Circuitry: Own design, providing temperature sensing, soft start, full regulation provided that Uin => Uout, LED indication, 95+% efficient

The beamshots:

Please note, currently the MonsterMag is running at 15 volt instead of 16.2 as intended. The data is based on 16.2 volt. The stock Mag had AA batteries, measuring 1.6 volt each before the test but one might argue that AA cells sag under from the 1 ampere load. Nevertheless...

The setup.
setup.jpg

Supersize picture

Stock mag. ISO 50, 10 seconds, F 2.83.
stockmag10sec.jpg

Supersize picture

MonsterMag 1 at 15 volt. ISO 50, 10 seconds, F 2.83.
monstermag10sec.jpg

Supersize picture

The difference.
diff.jpg

Superize picture

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
What a guy eh? Nice pics and looks like your hard work paid off. . .Enjoy melting the snow with that "MonsterMag"!

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan,

Sure! If I get hold of a Mag85, I will. I think Robban is building one so perhaps at a Swedish get-together.

The Mag85 will probably outthrow it, but in total output it's a close match. I have calculated with 21 minutes runtime for the MosterMag. How long does the Mag85 last? :grin2:

AtomicX,

The light is in alpha-stage right now. That is, assembled to the degree that it works, no switch and the lamp isn't fixated yet. Therefore, it looks like crap. I'll put up some production photos though.

I will need beta-testers for the DC-DC converter, using (your) different batteries and lamps to see exactly how useful it is. This is some time in a not too distant future. Would anyone be interested?

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
While people are still celibrating Christmas, I'll put up some more photos.
There was more or less a snowstorm today and me and my friend tried to make the most out of it by doing some beamshots for comparing my flashlights.

Field test. Stock Mag on the.... Yes, you've guessed it, left-hand side. MonsterMag 1 on the right-hand side.
field.JPG

Superize picture

Up shoot test. MonsterMag 1 on the left-hand side.
upshoot2.JPG

Superize picture

Tree test. My friend on the left-hand side trying to light up his tree with a stock Mag. Me on the other side with my MonsterMag 1.
twotrees.JPG

Superize picture

jtice

Flashaholic
I know I know, but I have to ask,

Any idea on the runtime? :duck:

I have been thinking of making a very very bright mag mod.
I dont really have any incans, but there has been times a need something 3D or smaller,
that is a "rediculous" amount of light :D :devil:

For example, last night, I could have really used to one turn off some street lights,
that were messing up my photos of the local decorated houses.

~John

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice,

With 71 watts total power consumption and 12*3.7*0.75 Wh, or more realistically 12*3.7*0.6 Wh in the battery, 21 minutes or so isn't too optimistic.

There are 20 W and 35 W versions of the lamp as well so you could simply decrease the power in favor for runtime. There will be a almost fully linear relation between power and runtime as my DC-DC converter does not even get lukewarm running at 60+ watt, so there is only the batteries to blaim. :naughty:

Yes, a ridiculous amount of light is the correctly way to describe it. :grin2:

bahamut,

Give me a week or two and I'll assemble my 70 W metal halide search light again. That would do it. :grin2:

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've played around with MR16s. A 50W 12 degree drivin by 12AA NimH was pretty impressive. But in my case that is a 4D light and just too big even for fun.

My current fave bright portable light is a 2D with 7AA and a wa01274.

I would like to acquire and experiment with some ROP bulbs, and I'd really like to run 2x18650 in a 2C M*g!!!

But I'm mostly :broke:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe,

you know that you can fit 12 NiMHs in one 3D host using modamags battery adapter if you think a 4D is too big for you.

I forgot so say that this particular MR16 is a HIR, providing 40% better efficiency than other halogens due to its IR reflecting layer on the lamp. Quite useful when trying to, well using it. :grin2:

How come no one has any questions about my DC-DC converter? I've spent weeks designing and manufacturing it. :)

Waffle

Newly Enlightened
How come no one has any questions about my DC-DC converter? I've spent weeks designing and manufacturing it. :)
Please tell us more. This looks awesome.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I'm interested in the DC to DC converter and happily volunteer to beta test it, although logistically I live far away from you. I have been closely following the work done by AndrewWynn with his LDO Hotdriver circuit. I am a true believer in the concept of regulated incan output. Major question: Does your converter feature hard voltage clamping to ensure a not to exceed Vbulb ? How soft is the soft start, voltage ramping or current limited, time delay? Oh, I got everything backwards. I meant to begin by congratulating you on your impressive project. Nice to see a fresh incan angle such as yours, quite innovative with the regulation! I would like to see pics of the light, perhaps especially in its raw condition. I have a project light of my own I am planning on using a variety of bulbs inthe 35W-50W-75W range with a massive 18650 based LiIon pack and your converter might be very useful indeed in this application. Please PM or email me if this is a possibility. Thanks and great work!

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waffle,

wow, you first post! WELCOME TO CPF!

The converter is a Atmel MEGA32 microprocessor controlled PWM circuit using a 4.7 mohm N-channel FET. It works by constantly measuring the voltage over the lamp differentially and by using a PID regulator, it can determine the correct duty cycle in order to achieve the preset Vout.

The temperature sensor detects the temperature in the lamp and if the temp. is getting high, like 70 degrees C or so, it starts flashing the LED. If it gets too high, like 90 deg. C, it shuts down the lamp.

The microprocessor also measures the battery voltage and can represent it by flashing the LED in different ways and can shut down the lamp of the battery voltage is too low.

It runs with just about any battery and lamp voltage, provided that Vin >= Vout and that Vin < 55 V. The software breaker currently requires Vin > 16 V to run but this could easily be changed.

Lunarmodule,

As far as I understood it, AndrewWynns LDO driver was a linear regulator which I frankly can't understand why he chose that solution. Heat is a major issue for me as I'm running without any cooling so like I said, 95% efficiency or more is required.

I'll try to answer your questions in order:

Q: I'm interested in the DC to DC converter and happily volunteer to beta test it, although logistically I live far away from you.
A: No problem. That's why we have postal services. I'll put you up first on my list.

Q: Does your converter feature hard voltage clamping to ensure a not to exceed Vbulb ?
A: I'm not sure what you mean by voltage clamping but my converter assures that Vout is equal to the preset value by constantly measuring Vout and increasing or decreasing its duty cycle. If you want to run extremely close to your bulbs melting point or something like that you could alter the source code to prioritize decreases and go down in switch frequency to gain more accuracy.

Q: How soft is the soft start, voltage ramping or current limited, time delay?
A: As soft as you want. Currently, it takes about 1.2 seconds from off to fully on, using voltage ramping. The current is not limited but this could be implemented easily.

Here are some photos. Please note, this is a pre-production alpha test. It looks like crap and the temp. sesor is missing. (I forgot to order it :ohgeez: )

Front side:
dcdcfront.JPG

Supersize picture

Back side:
dcdcback.JPG

Supersize picture

Last edited:

WhiteHot

Enlightened
Looks great. A well engineered solution. I hope that you decide to make these available to others in the future. That might even help you pay for spinning the boards ;)

Lucien

Enlightened
winny said:

OK, I'll bite... Oops too late.

That is impressive work. :bow:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
WhiteHot,

Certainly! Once I get some beta-testers to nail down all the teething troubles for various lamp/battery configurations, I'll start producing them.
Didn't get the joke. Probably hilarious.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Fascinating stuff... You have to pardon my relative ignorance as I have only a working knowledge of electronic circuits gained from limited experience -- my background is research chemistry so my geek points apply to different areas of interest and provide for steep learning curves. I have recently gotten into modding and lately (for LED) been tinkering with the POP2 driver, which is very intriguing. Learning the fundamentals of PWM for output control.

For incan, I have a project underway which may be able to use all of your mentioned features, which are quite impressive. I am very grateful to accept your kind offer to be a beta evaluator. I am in it to learn more than anything. Recently cooked up a nice rechargeable LiIon power solution for my SF M6, which needs some refinement by way of reducing voltage to avoid instaflash. It runs a significant overdrive as a direct drive and would like to tone it down a bit for longevity's sake.

My primary project is developing a quick-change multi-configuration modular oversized Mag light with a huge 18650 based power plant. Space is not a concern there. I highly suggest for something as novel as your design you should look into ways to configure it as a drop in Mag switch replacement. It seems from the photo you have it integrated with the battery holder. Great pics by the way, and let me chastise you for being too critical -- they are very good pics indeed. Form follows function, I dont mind a raw appearance at all - if anything it suggests the atmosphere of brainstorming at work - a good thing.

My setup is loosely based around a 12.6V, 11.1V nominal input, but can be configured for 16.8V, 14.8V nominal no problem. Four cells in parallel side by side not a problem. Heres a link with info on the host.

Again, congrats on a great accomplishment! There is a considerable need for your invention even those who need it most are possibly unaware of it.

;)

Latest posts